The Deadly Six
|Group Overview and Statistics|
Dr. Eggman (formerly)
The Deadly Six (六鬼衆 Rokkishū?, lit. "Band of Six Oni") are the primary antagonists in Sonic Lost World. They are a villainous gang of six menacing Zeti. Originally formed several years prior to Sonic Lost World, Dr. Eggman discovered the Deadly Six and tried to harness the power of the group in an attempt to defeat Sonic the Hedgehog and conquer the world. However, due to Sonic's recklessness, the Deadly Six rose up against Eggman and broke free, threatening to destroy the world on their own with Eggman's Extractor. As a result, Sonic and Eggman were forced to team up in order to stop them for the sake of the planet. In the end, the Deadly Six were defeated by Sonic and their plans to destroy the world was foiled. Their current status is unknown.
Concept and creation
According to Takashi Iizuka, the Deadly Six were meant to bring a “sense of danger and humor” to the story of Sonic Lost World. According to another interview with Takashi Iizuka at Summer of Sonic 2013, the Deadly Six are based off of "oni", which is a Japanese demon. The main motif is that the Deadly Six were based off of an "ogre", a mythological creature.
In the present day, shortly before the events of Sonic Lost World the Deadly Six were enslaved by Eggman using a Cacophonic Conch, which Eggman used to cause them pain if they disobey or offend him. Zazz, always eager for a fight, volunteered to fight Sonic first but was defeated twice. Eggman send Zomom after Sonic next, but Sonic defeated him twice. During a confrontation between the Deadly Six and Eggman, Sonic appeared and recklessly knocked the Cacophonic Conch away. Now free from Eggman's control, the Deadly Six rebelled against him, commanding all of the Badniks they took control of to attack everyone present. Despite this, Sonic, along with Tails, Eggman and his two robot henchmen Orbot and Cubot escaped safely from the danger.
Master Zik was the third to fight Sonic. The Deadly Six then used Eggman's unstable Extractor to absorb the Earth's energy, growing stronger over time. Zeena fought Sonic fourth. Later on, the Deadly Six decided to capture Sonic and turn him into a robot under their control, but they captured Tails instead. Zor fought Sonic fifth and Zavok fought him last.
After each of the Deadly Six had been defeated twice by Sonic, Zavok proceeded to transform Tails into a robot as an act of revenge. Zazz and Zomom attacked Sonic and Eggman on Lava Mountain, seemingly killing Eggman, Orbot and Cubot as they fell towards the bottomless pit while Sonic survived. Sonic defeated Zazz, Zomom and Master Zik in Zone 1. Eventually the hedgehog confronted the remaining of the Deadly Six, Zeena, Zor and Zavok and tried to force Sonic to surrender by sending in the roboticized Tails and ordered him to attack Sonic. Tails, however shot at the Zeti, causing them to flee as Sonic pursued them at Zone 3. One by one Sonic defeated Zeena, Zor, and Zavok.
The Deadly Six's current status is unclear as each member disappeared after their defeat (with Zazz, Zomom, Master Zik, and Zeena vanishing in a puff of smoke while laying motionless and Zor and Zavok falling into lava). However, Eggman says after his final defeat that he will try to control the Deadly Six again, which would suggest that they somehow survived, and merely escaped (which they do in the 3DS version instead of seemingly dying).
Other game appearances
In Sonic Dash, Zazz was featured as one of the two bosses fought randomly while in a run. All members of the Deadly Six appeared as cameos in the game's downloadable wallpapers of Sonic Lost World.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the Deadly Six makes a cameo appearance as one of the collectible Trophies in the game.
|Zavok||Zavok is the leader of the Deadly Six, and the member behind the destruction of the world and the depletion of Sonic. He's got his eye on one thing, and that's world domination. Strong, clever, merciless and cruel, he possesses great fighting abilities. He is also the former apprentice of Master Zik.|
|Zazz||Zazz is one of the members of the Deadly Six in plans for the destruction of the world. He is the more short-tempered and hot-headed member of the six. He's nasty, ruthless, and crazily unpredictable. He loves to fight, and enjoys it more than eating three meals a day.|
Zeena is a member of the Deadly Six and the only female member. She is feisty, cruel, cold-hearted, and is likely to complete a task when given one, though she has a terrifying temper that she is not shy about showing. She likes to look after herself and she’s not very likely to look after anyone else.
Master Zik is the founder of the Deadly Six and as well the oldest member of the group. He is wise and normally taking it easy in his semi-retirement. However, he is a fighting genius, having been Zavok's teacher, allowing him to with the strength and agility of someone a fraction of his age. He was once called the "strongest warrior".
|Zomom||Zomom is a member of the Deadly Six and the largest member of the six. He is a gluttonous Zeti who has strange powers, and will eat everything in sight. He's dull-witted and slow, but makes up for it with bone-crushing strength.|
|Zor||Zor is a member of the Deadly Six. He's one with the shadows, both physically and mentally. He's the spy of the group, and carries a blue rose with him at all times. He's mean, moody, pessimistic, and nothing can amuse him. He utilizes powers so dark and forbidding, even the others would never use them.|
- Despite being called the "Deadly Six", they are only called in that way only once by Eggman in Sonic Lost World, as in the rest of the game they were referred as "Zeti" by the characters.
- The colors of these villains match those of six of the Chaos Emeralds (red, yellow, green, purple, cyan and grey more precisely). They also resemble the colors of various Wisps (Green Wisp, Pink Wisp, Purple Wisp, Blue Wisp, Yellow Wisp, Cyan Wisp and Red Wisp).
- Two of the Deadly Six, Zazz and Zeena, have tails resembling those of major recurring characters, Knuckles and Espio, respectively.
- Similar to other powerful entities, Eggman attempts to control the Deadly Six in order to take over the world, only for them to turn against him. The main difference is that it happens early in the game, rather than towards the end.
- Interestingly, the Deadly Six are portrayed in a more colorful, vibrant fashion than typical Sonic villains, but their dialogue and behavior are much darker, even going as far as to directly reference death, mind control and even genocide. The game's E10+ rating is mostly due to these characters' behavior, according to the ESRB website.
- Zavok and Zeena are the only Deadly Six members whose names are not mentioned in Sonic Lost World.
- While the Deadly Six seemingly vanished after their final battles in the Wii U version, in the Nintendo 3DS version they survive and merely fly away like in previous battles.