Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
- This page is for the zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II. You may have been looking for the Death Egg Mark II.
Death Egg mk.II Zone is the fifth and final zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II, as well as the tenth and currently final zone of the episodic Sonic the Hedgehog 4 series. It is a newly rebuilt Death Egg, constructed around Little Planet.
It has constantly changing gravity, much like its predecessor. It consists of one act and a boss. This marks the last zone in the game, where Sonic and Tails encounter Metal Sonic for the last time and have their final battle with Dr. Eggman.
After beating Metal Sonic in Sky Fortress Zone, Eggman ditches his damaged airship and decides to retreat to his new space station with Metal Sonic while Sonic and Tails follow them in an escape pod. Inside Death Egg mk.II Zone, Sonic once again races his doppelganger, with Tails by his side this time. The fight is an obstacle course to the end, just like Stardust Speedway's battle in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, after besting Metal Sonic in the race, he is defeated once again.
The duo then confronts Eggman in the heart of the Death Egg, facing his latest creation, the Egg Heart, it attacks by spinning the platforms you are standing on and electrifying them. Upon being defeated, the new Death Egg begins to suffer massive internal damage and can be seen shutting down in space. Luckily, Sonic and Tails manage to escape at the last moment crashing down to Earth in the doctor's escape pods leaving the new Death Egg shut down, still built over the Little Planet.
- Act 1 - A Duel with Metal Sonic: Sonic and Tails fight Metal Sonic twice in this zone. The first time is similar to the battle with him in White Park Zone, with Dr. Eggman accompanying the robotic hedgehog. The Second is a re-make of the Stardust Speedway Race.
- Boss - The Beginning of the End: Sonic and Tails take on Dr. Eggman's final trump card, the Egg Heart - a heart shaped machine surrounded by rotating ring shaped platforms.
|Death Egg mk.II Zone Act 1||Jun Senoue||1:38|
|A Duel with Metal Sonic - Stardust Speedway RMX||Jun Senoue||2:34|
|Death Egg mk.II Zone Act 2||Jun Senoue||2:06|
- While this Death Egg has constantly changing gravity similar to Sonic & Knuckles' Death Egg Zone, there are no enemies present aside from Dr. Eggman and a robotic doppelganger of Sonic (in this case, Metal Sonic), making it highly reminiscent of Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Death Egg Zone.
- In the final showdown with Metal Sonic, not only is the race from Stardust Speedway recreated, but the Bad Future music from the Japanese/European soundtrack for Sonic the Hedgehog CD has been remixed. Metal Sonic is even defeated the exact same way as he was in Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- Unlike its predecessor, which was made entirely from scratch, this Death Egg is built around the Little Planet from Sonic the Hedgehog CD, which is also a giant spherical structure surrounding Little Planet (or maybe just Stardust Speedway's bad future.)
- This version of the Death Egg is called "mk.II", even though there was already a Death Egg II which Dr. Eggman built in Sonic the Fighters. This could be due to the former originating from a separate construction plan, while this station was modeled more after the original.
- The final boss appears to look like a realistic heart, possibly because it is in the "heart" of the Death Egg mk.II.
- Unlike its predecessor, this Death Egg doesn't plummet back down to Sonic's world or explode after the final battle. Instead, it remains stationary in orbit and all the lights on the exterior turn off, implying that while it's still intact on the outside, the damages made on the inside by Sonic and Tails have caused it to power down for the time being.
- It's also unknown if the Little Planet is saved, or if it can disappear from inside the Death Egg. It may appear in a possible Episode III, as the content in Episode II's files contain a "To be Continued..." message and a unused 34 second cutscene audio file that would play after the credits, leading speculation of another episode, the removal of the post credits cliffhanger has also lead to speculation that Episode III won't be produced.
- During the mid-boss with Metal Sonic, the version of Stardust Speedway theme played is the second remix of the tune, as the song is essentially a remix of a remix, based on Sonic Generations' version.
- This version uses some of Sonic 3's soundfont, such as the "80's drumming" synth in the background, but also uses the one from Sonic 2 as well, making it sound like a hybrid mix of the Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 soundfonts in the form of Stardust Speedway's bad future theme. Note that it still bears the signature "Sonic 4 Dying Cat" noises in a lower pitch.
- The escape pods' design is similar to the Bridge Zone boss from Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit).
- The design of the Death Egg Mk.II level and background is inspired by Dead Line from Sonic Rush.
- This is the only zone from Episode II to have a full act without any goal plate at the end.
- The race with Metal Sonic is the only boss in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II to be reused from a previous game.