Devil Doom (デビル ドゥーム Debiru Dūmu?) is the final boss of Shadow the Hedgehog. He is a giant, two headed, gargoyle-like creature and he is the super-powered version of Black Doom. He transforms into this form after discovering Gerald Robotnik's secret plan to destroy the Black Comet, but met his end at the hands of Super Shadow.
AppearanceDuring the transformation, Black Doom becomes much larger and much more intimidating than before; his body is almost completely changed. The only physical traces of Black Doom's original form is Doom's Eye and his horizontal horns.
He has now two heads on either side of his torso in the image of a gargoyle, where the first one has Black Doom's trademark horizontal horns and the second has a single vertical horn, and the lower half of his body is rooted down to a large boulder. He also has horizontal mouth parts similar to the Black Bull, with the exception of an absence of a bottom jaw on both sides. Devil Doom has no eyes himself, but Doom's Eye will exchange between the heads to give them sight.
Devil Doom's skin is red and black (the typical skin colors of the Black Arms), and he seems to have an extra finger on each hand. This also makes it possible for his arms to operate from either side of his body, making his shoulders double jointed. His torso also has strange spines pointing down.
Powers and abilities
Following his transformation from Black Doom, Devil Doom receives a noticeable increase in power, allowing him to fight on par with even super transformed characters. In addition to retaining the ability to use Chaos Control, Devil Doom can breathe fire, manipulate objects and rocks from the city below to hover around him or impact enemies, and can make the rocks fire lasers, possibly by channeling fire through them, as they do seem to have a fiery look to them.
Devil Doom can also sense where Shadow is, as his attacks are of the same precision whether facing Shadow or not. Most of his body, with the exception of his Eye, is invulnerable and does not feel pain, even from a charged Chaos Spear. Devil Doom's wings are an oval shape, enabling equal use by both heads. Although his wings can be crippled, making him vulnerable to side attacks, he can put either one of his wings in front of the eye to protect himself.
Devil Doom is battled by Super Shadow. Devil Doom is seen floating through the battle and he changes his place constantly (If the player is very close to him) . The battle takes place high in the sky of Central City. There is a red gas every where which might be the paralyzing gas released by the Black Comet. Devil Doom has a set of attacks which are used depending on situation:
- During the first type of attack Devil Doom is floating in front of Shadow with a ring of debris. He may throw it at Shadow. If Shadow gets hit, he will be sent backwards and this causes a delay. Shadow should use Chaos Arrows to destroy the debris in order to avoid the delay. There are ring balloons in the debris. Rings are vital because if Shadow runs out of them, he'll fall and lose a life. Therefore, he must try shooting at the ring balloons.
- Spitting a wall of fire at Shadow is the second type of attack. To avoid them, Shadow can be navigated to the side.
- Devil Doom can command the small meteors floating around him to shoot lasers. He can also make the meteors fly around him in circles and shoot lasers. The lasers won't hit Shadow if he moves constantly.
- If Shadow is too close for a long time, or sometimes as he reaches Devil Doom, Devil Doom will teleport away, using Chaos Control. This also happens after Devil Doom is damaged.
The only weak point of this boss is its eye, which alternates between the heads after being attacked. To damage the eye, Shadow can use either Chaos Spears or Chaos Arrows. Chaos Spear causes significant damage while Chaos Arrows are not too effective. Chaos Arrows can also be blocked by Devil Doom's wings. Shadow can attack the wings and destroy them so Devil Doom can't block attacks any more. Both attacks only work when Shadow is near him. Shadow's dark gauge can be filled by shooting city debris while the hero gauge is filled by attacking Devil Doom and the meteors around him. Chaos Blast can help with the debris, but it does not deal much damage to the eye. Chaos Control slows everything down and may come in handy but it also makes aiming more difficult.Once Devil Doom's health reaches zero he falls to Central City while talking about being the most supreme creature there ever was.
- Even after Shadow disables his wings, Devil Doom will stay airborne.
- Devil Doom is one of the few final bosses not to use the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds for transformation. Doom says during the battle that he underestimated the true power of the Emeralds.
- By "bumping" into Devil Doom in some way, it is possible for Super Shadow to be bumped into a lower or higher elevation of his "flight path/area" for a short time, and thus in this state is able to fly over or underneath Devil Doom.
- After eight minutes of fighting Devil Doom, Eggman reveals the truth about Shadow's survival from Sonic Adventure 2, as quoted, "Shadow, can you hear me? This might be the last chance I have to speak to you, so... what I said, about having created you? It was all a lie. Everyone thought you'd died during that horrible incident, but I rescued you with one of my robots! You'd lost your memory, that's all. You really are the Ultimate Lifeform my grandfather created!"
- Although the main way of attacking Devil Doom is using Chaos Spear, that isn't the only way. If the player can manage to slide up when bumping into an object or Devil Doom himself, and use the dash ability which is similar to a jump dash, damage can be dealt. Note that it is not an easy feat and if managed, it will not automatically target anything; aiming must be done manually and it doesn't deal much damage to Doom's Eye.
- Devil Doom's body is immune to all attacks except his eye, but if the player shoot Chaos Spears at his body, Devil Doom will bleed for a short of time, However this cannot deal damage to him.
- Devil Doom also bleeds when he is doing Chaos Control.
- Devil Doom's cry at the beginning of the battle is identical to Perfect Chaos's cry in Sonic Adventure.
- Once defeated, Devil Doom's death behaves similar to that of Metal Overlord.