|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic X anime or comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
|Also known as||
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
Dr. Eggman (ドクター・エッグマン Dokutā Egguman?, real name Robotnik) is the main antagonist of the anime series Sonic X and its comic series published by Archie Comics. He is a mad scientist whose ambition is universal domination. He is aided in his schemes by two sidekick robots, Decoe and Bocoe, as well as his messenger Bokkun and a horde of ruthless robots and high-tech terrornauts.
Eggman, along with Sonic and several of Sonic's friends, were transported to Earth during an accident involving Chaos Control. Eggman wasted no time in attempting to conquer Earth by dominating Station Square, but was repeatedly thwarted by the heroic efforts of Sonic and his friends.
In the second season, prior to the Shadow Saga, Dr. Eggman found out that he was born on Earth, the home of his grandfather Gerald Robotnik and somehow flung into Sonic's world.
A while into the series, everyone found out that they had to go back to their world because the alternate universes containing their planets were fusing together which would eventually stop time due to their dramatic time rates and this could only be prevented if Sonic and his friends would leave.
In the third season, his role as the main villain is taken over by the Metarex and their leader, Dark Oak. At one point, he joins the Metarex, but is later caught stealing their technology by Pale Bay Leaf. Once he is rescued, he joins with Sonic and his friends as allies for the rest of the series in order to defeat the Metarex. In the end of the episode, So Long Sonic, he resumes his evil ways again and starts to build the Eggman Empire. It is unknown what happened to him after the final episode after this.
Despite having a few evil moments in the series, this version of Eggman is considerably more lucid and overall sympathetic than most other community. Clearly not having problems with kidnapping and threatening to inflict harm, he does, however, think it to go too far by actually hurting his hostages and dislikes to harm humans and animals alike; for example, when the Metarex begin to beat up a captive Chris and Cosmo, Eggman criticized them for their malicious behavior towards the two, remarking that "It's one thing to take them prisoner and threaten them, but when you actually hurt somebody, that's going too far!" Earlier in the series, when the Eggsterminator was brutally beating Sonic, Eggman could not bear to watch and even ordered the robot to stop and give Sonic a break.
In contrast, he seems more flamboyant than most of his other counterparts, as he is frequently seen showing off, although he retains some of his normal version's personality, such as his immaturity. He also appears to be a fan of baseball, as seen in Unfair Ball, where he makes the main characters play a baseball game against him and his team for a Chaos Emerald.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Eggman's relationship with Sonic is very complex, often running the gamut between mortal enmity and a light-hearted friendly rivalry. One example is in an episode where Eggman manages to collect all seven Chaos Emeralds, Sonic tries to fight the Emerald-powered Eggsterminator losing terribly. Eggman asks Sonic to surrender because he can't bear to watch and even asks his robot to give the guy a break. Another example is from episode 53 when he saves an unconscious Sonic at the beach near where he lives and plants a microphone on him before he wakes up.
Decoe, Bocoe and Bokkun
Eggman frequently treats them bad and likes to make them feel miserable. He has created them to more likely be his company, and that could be the reason he built them with a deeper conscience and soul than any other robots. Even if he sees them as friends for which he seems to feel upset when they turn their back on him, he doesn't miss a second to torture them. They also managed to defeat Black Narcissus (one of the four Metarex king (in order to save Sonic))
- Dr. Eggman saved Sonic when he crash-landed on the base by mistake, saying, "I would feel guilty if you died around my neighborhood, so you should thank my compassionate heart for saving you." (This quote is translated from the Japanese version.)
- When Eggman shoots out a homing missile after Tails, he gets angry when he figures out that a self-destruct/recall device was never installed. He says "Now I'll have to live knowing that I killed Tails, forever!" (Quote was translated from the Japanese version. In the US and Europe, he says, "With Sonic gone, I can't afford to lose another enemy!")
- Eggman considers himself the main character of Sonic X and names the show Eggman X (this is a recurring joke in the Japanese version).
- Eggman breaks the fourth wall the most in the show by constantly bringing up the fact that it is an anime.
- Eggman is the second character to use the most English in the Japanese version, coming second to Sonic himself.
- In episode 67, "Testing Time", when Eggman comes to Sonic's rescue he shows no fear of Sonic's transformation, nor anger and actually smiles.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Eggman's profile
- ↑ Sonic X episode 10, "Unfair Ball": "If there's one thing I hate more than a meddling hedgehog, it's a quitter!"
- ↑ "Note": Although it was never mentioned directly in the series, one of Eggman's profile cards (as shown during episodes of the Japanese version of the series) confirms that his real name is Robotnik in Japan, as in other Sonic continuities.
- ↑ Dr. Eggman's Sonic X profile at MyVortexx. Archived from the original on 27 March 2014. Retrieved on 8 March 2014.