|This character exists primarily within the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Doctor Ivo Robotnik Sr. is the main antagonist of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. He is a comically obese scientist. He looks like an early version of Dr. Eggman, but with a much larger, much more ragged orange mustache, a conical head, a drooping pink nose, black eyes with red irises and black pupils, a round body and wiry legs. He wears a red, black and yellow bodysuit, grey tights and a pair of grey gloves with metal gauntlets. Very rarely, Robotnik also wears a yellow cape to go along with his regular attire.
A pompous, bad tempered, and cruel despot, his only goal is to rule Planet Mobius. At least once per episode (usually at the end of the episode after being defeated by Sonic), Robotnik declares his hatred of Sonic with his unmistakable catchphrase "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!". Dr. Robotnik also occasionally got help from the one, the only, salesman extraordinaire: Wes Weasely. His only fear is his mother, Mama Robotnik.
According to his own account, Ivo Robotnik's villainy began when he was a child, when he captured his nanny and became dictator of the nursery. Growing up, he was depicted as a fairly typical bully, and was plotting world domination as early as High School. Though he was expelled from High School for unspecified reasons (though it is implied terrorizing his classmates contributed to this), Robotnik did attend higher learning, and graduated as a certified genius alongside fellow evil mastermind John Paul Memo. At some point afterwards, Robotnik lost patience with the eccentricies of his cousin, the derranged Dr. Warpnik, and exiled him to the mysterious Warp of Confusion. Eventually Robotnik built his fortress on top of one of Mobius' biggest mountains, where he would plot many of his schemes to conquer the planet.
Frustrated with Sonic's daily interferences of his plots to conquer Mobius, Dr. Robotnik formed the S.S.S.S.S.S (Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad), often called the S.S.S.S.S. Squad, in an attempt to thwart him once and for all. The first member of the S.S.S.S.S.S. was Scratch, and when he attempted to clone Scratch he produced Grounder.
Robotnik is shown through the series to be a sinister and sadistic man, who enjoys the pain and suffering of the planet. His plans often involve either the destruction of Sonic, or the destruction of an entire city while Sonic is incapacitated. He is the brain behind the majority of the plots in the show, and is exceptionally vain in both his ideas and appearance. Robotnik is openly obsessed with eggs, being the only thing he will usually eat, as well as incorporating egg-themes into many of his inventions.
Robotnik is often the one to spot Sonic's disguises, although he gets fooled as well. The majority of his traps fail due to either his execution, the machine itself failing, or Scratch and Grounder botching the plan. Despite these and many other, he has allegedly conquered most of the planet (or at least he claims to), and is depicted as being quite rich due to both patents and pilfering the citizens of Mobius.
In the series he has two known relatives, and one built himself. Doctor Warpnik, his crazy cousin, was banished to the Warp of Confusion for being insane. Mama Robotnik, Robotnik's mother, recurs several times, and is the only force Robotnik respects and fears. Robotnik Jr., the son he built himself to carry on his legacy, switched sides to Sonic when he realized his father was crazy. He also makes an alliance at one point with Dr. Qwark, a rival mad genius who also wants to destroy Mobius, however the alliance is short lived as neither can agree on who is to blame when things go wrong. Captain Memo also makes an alliance with Robotnik at one point after a violent misunderstanding due to Sonic, however Robotnik abandons him to the mercy of the Merhogs when the plans go sour.
Dr. Robotnik has had a number of romantic interests throughout the series. Though the only woman he has ever truly loved was a red head woman named Lucinda. Unfortunately for the evil doctor, the feeling was not mutual and she married her true love, Lucas. After that, other women have shown interest in Robotnik such as the beautiful Katella, the hideous Snow Height, and the lustful Sonic in drag, but Robotnik never seemed to be interested in having a relationship with any of them. Robotnik seems to prefer Robotic female companionship because they can be used as a personal slave rather than an equal partner. Robotnik may not have any interest in other women because he still loves Lucinda. On the other hand, his evil heart just may not be capable to love.
|Sonic (dressed as Lucinda)||"Best Hedgehog"|
|Omletta||"Sonic the Matchmaker"|
|RoboWife||"Sonic is Running"|
|Sonic (while he's in another costume named Jodie)||"Sonic is Running"|
|Snow Height||"Sonically Ever After"|
|Sonic (dressed as Rapunzel)||"Sonically Ever After"|
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
This variation of Doctor Robotnik appears as the thirteenth and final stage's opponent in both 16-bit and 8-bit versions of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. In the game, Robotnik creates the mean bean-streaming machine, which changes the jolly folk of Beanville into robot slaves that help him to get rid all Mobius of music and fun.
As Sonic is not seen in the game, Has Bean, former inhabitant of Beanville, faces all Robotnik's guards including Coconuts, Grounder and Scratch to save the folk of Beanville. When Robotnik sees that his Badniks have got defeated, he decided to take the event on his own hands. As the game is western version of Puyo Puyo, Robotnik has the moveset of Satan from Puyo Puyo. After the duel, Mean Bean-Steaming Machine gets destroyed and Robotnik escapes with his Egg-O-Matic while jolly folk of Beanville have got free.
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- "Witness my evil dream to get rid of Mobius of music and fun forever. My latest invention, the mean bean-steaming machine will not only dispose of those fun-loving jolly beans of Beanville, but turn them into robot slaves to serve my evil purposes. Robots. Bring me those beans." - In the cutscene before the demo.
- "You dopey Duncebots! Can't you do anything right? Now I'll have to do my own dirty work and blend those beans." - In the cutscene before battling against Dr. Robotnik.
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
- "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!"
- "Snooping as usual, I see?"
- "Goo-goo poo-poo to you, too!"
- "Chocolate not bad, but me still gonna get you!"
- "DRAT! DOUBLE DRAT!"
- "Yuck, only black and green jelly beans left!"
- "The red button, you monkey wrench!"
- "YOU STUPID CRETINS! LOOK WHAT YOU...*turns into a baby*...did to Robotnik. Me very mad now. Very mad."
- "Me mad. Me very...*turns into an adult*...VERY, INCREDIBLY, INDESCRIBABLY ANGRY WITH YOU TWO IDIOTS!"
- "Ah, happiness is always so much more enjoyable when it's based on the misery of millions."
- "You lame brained, knuckle-dragging dork! How dare you interrupt me when I'm having a bath with my rubber crocodile?!"
- "Sonic fell for it. Tails is ours. I'll have to give myself a PROMOTION!"
- "You can rot in jail for all I care!"
- "DOI, SHOU!!"
- "ROBOTNIK! ROBOTNIK! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!, ROBOTNIK! ROBOTNIK! RA! RA! RA!"
- "I just stole candy from 4,822 babies! What a perfect way to whet my appetite for evil!"
- "I'll make them strong! Fearless! Ferocious! Supremely rotten like me!"
- "Help! I've fallen, and I can't get up!"
- "Why is my precious rocket ship drifting off into deep space? Why am I reaching you at the coordinates of the abandoned space station? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?"
- "Take this and find Sonic! I want him here by supper time."
- "If you don't [succeed in capturing Sonic], I'll melt you down... MY WAY!!"
- "There's only room for one song on Mobius - mine! I've started a wonderful, inspirational song, and I want you to finish it. Listen."
- "If that stubborn little songstress won't write me a song, I'll write my own song!"
- "In a word, they'll all be sunk! Ahahahahahahahaha!"
- "Now that Breezie has diverted Sonic to the far reaches of the planet, it's time to launch the second part of my terrible plan!"
- "How could I sleep when everyone on Mobius is singing that blasted Sonic song?!"
- "Okay, so I had a small setback. The battle has just begun!"
- "Well if it isn't the Bungling Brothers Burnout Bailing Circus."
- "I'm surrounded by defective circuitry."
- "I want that heinous hedgehog hammered."
- "The most fabulously fiendish of my fiendish plots is hatched."
- "PROMOTION?! What for?! You should have swiped the machine and brought it to me, you nincombot!"
- "I'm demoting you to Scrub Monkey Third Class! Now go mop up the dungeon!"
- "NINCOMBOTS! METAL MORONS! IDIOTS! ROBOTIC REJECTS! SEDITIOUS SLABS OF INSALUBREOUS CIRCUITRY! YOU...YOU NINCOMBOTS!"
- "Then allow me to repeat myself yet again! YOU! ARE! NINCOMBOTS!"
- Though he bears resemblance to Dr. Eggman from original Sonic the Hedgehog game, his mustache is much larger and much more ragged, his head is conical, his nose is pink and more drooping, his eyes are black and his legs are slightly bulkier. This character design which is made by Milton Knight, served as the inspiration for Dr. Robotnik's second design in Fleetway's Sonic the Comic and was modified to another counterpart of the more serious animated series.
- This version of Robotnik was voiced by the late English Blues Singer "Long John" Baldry. Baldry's depiction of Robotnik added a distinct trill to the character's voice, and featured many alliterative insults. In the series pilot, Robotnik was instead voiced by veteran voice actor Jim Cummings, who would later voice a much darker version of the character in Sonic the Hedgehog.
- This was the only English-speaking series prior to Sonic X to have Dr. Robotnik referred to as "Eggman" in the episode "Lifestyles of the Sick and Twisted" by Tails.
- In the game Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, his pupils are clearly white while on the box art and in the show, they are colored red.
- This depiction of Robotnik has been used for the front covers of Sonic Spinball and Sonic Triple Trouble on Game Gear, as well we being featured on the Sonic Classics, which included Mean Bean Machine.