Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- For the boss that appears in Act 1, see Doctor Robotnik’s Flame Craft (Angel Island Zone Act 1).
Doctor Robotnik’s Flame Craft (フレイムモービル Fureimu Mōbiru?, lit. "Flame Mobile") is the first regular boss in Sonic the Hedgehog 3. The player encounters it at the end of Angel Island Zone Act 2. It takes eight hits to destroy the vehicle.
The Flame Craft is a vehicle piloted by Dr. Robotnik (or EggRobo, if the player has Knuckles in the locked-on game), that can fly around in the mid-air much like the Egg Mobile. Like Fire Breath, it is dark blue colored and bulky, that has been fitted with two aim-able weapons on either side that shoot fireballs across the screen. It also has small orange dome at the bottom of the mobile.
The Flame Craft first appears moments after Sonic / Tails outruns the bombs dropped by the Flying Battery. It flies past in the background behind some trees, and then disappears behind a huge waterfall. When Sonic crosses a wooden bridge, the Flame Craft emerges through the waterfall and drops a fireball on the bridge, destroying it. The player is able to fall into a bottomless pit, if the playable character stays at the bridge while it gets destroyed.
The Flame Craft will then disappear behind the waterfall, becoming impossible for Sonic to hit, and emerge again in a new location to fire its weapons at Sonic again. Robotnik has certain pattern to move either far right, upper left corner or left side. Once it he comes out, Robotnik then fires two fireballs each time it emerges. Only when it emerges to fire can Sonic hit the Flame Craft with a Spin Attack. After eight hits, the Flame Craft is destroyed. After that, the floating Capsule that is suspended from helicopter-style propellers, lowers from the top of the screen. Opening the Capsule ends the level, after which the player moves on to the Hydrocity Zone after Knuckles destroys the second bridge.
When the player is Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, the player gets to the arena from another pathway. EggRobo is seen piloting the vehicle with the similar pattern, but it is able to fire four fireballs at one time. After doing another eight hits on the vehicle, opening the capsule and clearing the Zone, Knuckles then hops from the waterfall and the game normally progresses to the Hydrocity Zone.
- The Flame Craft has been featured in the French Sonic Adventures: Dans Les Griffes De Robotnik comic, where it is seen as Robotnik's main transportation vehicle instead of regular Egg Mobile. While not having the important role in the story, arm cannons have motors behind them and function as flamethrowers instead of firing fireballs.
- The Flame Craft appears on the US box art for the Sega Genesis version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, but not on the box art for Mega Drive editions. Like in the French comic, Robotnik is seen firing flames instead of fireballs in the box art.
- In the end credits for Wreck-It Ralph, Sonic is seen losing his Rings, when Robotnik in the Flame Craft comes out of Chemical Plant Zone.
- If the player is playing as Sonic and Tails, and if Sonic goes for the early hit when Robotnik destroys the bridge and gets Tails stuck behind the boss, Tails is stuck bouncing between the locked screen and the boss, defeating it in a few seconds.