|This character exists primarily within the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
|Doctor Ivo Robotnik|
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog pilot episode
|Also known as||
Robuttnik, Egghead, Doc, Eggman, Docbotnik (by Sonic)
Black and red
|Alignment and character traits|
Taking over the world, harassing Sonic and his friends, eggs, giving himself a promotion, accordian and organ, Fuzzy Wuzzy
Sonic and friends, but mostly Sonic, music, defeat, failure, snakes, Turtles, S.S.S.S.S.S.
|Skills, abilities and powers|
Mechanics, building robots and machines of all kinds, above super genius level intellect
Doctor Ivo Robotnik is the main antagonist of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. He is a comically obese scientist. He looks like an early version of Dr. Eggman, but with a much larger, much more ragged orange mustache, a conical head, a drooping pink nose, black eyes with red irises and black pupils, a round body and wiry legs. He wears a red and yellow bodysuit, black tights, and a pair of grey gloves with metal gauntlets.
A pompous, bad tempered, and cruel despot, his only goal is to rule Planet Mobius. At least once per episode (usually at the end of the episode after being defeated by Sonic), Robotnik declares his hatred of Sonic with his unmistakable catchphrase, "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!". Dr. Robotnik also occasionally got help from the one, the only, salesman extraordinaire: Wes Weasely. His only fear is his mother, Mama Robotnik.
According to his own account, Robotnik's villainy began when he was a child, when he captured his nanny and became dictator of the nursery.
Frustrated with Sonic's daily interferences, Dr. Robotnik formed the S.S.S.S.S.S (Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad), often called the S.S.S.S.S. Squad, in an attempt to thwart him once and for all. The first member of the S.S.S.S.S.S. was Scratch, and when he attempted to clone Scratch he produced Grounder.
Robotnik is shown through the series to be a sinister and sadistic man, who enjoys the pain and suffering of the planet. His plans often involve either the destruction of Sonic, or the destruction of an entire city while Sonic is incapacitated. He is the brain behind the majority of the plots in the show, and is exceptionally vain in both his ideas and appearance. Robotnik is often the one to spot Sonic's disguises, although he gets fooled as well. The majority of his traps fail due to either his execution, the machine itself failing, or Scratch and Grounder botching the plan.
In the series he has two known relatives, and one built himself. Doctor Warpnik, his crazy cousin, was banished to the Warp of Confusion for being insane. Mama Robotnik, Robotnik's mother, recurs several times, and is the only force Robotnik respects and fears. Robotnik Jr., the son he built himself to carry on his legacy, switched sides to Sonic when he realized his father was crazy. He also makes an alliance at one point with Dr. Qwark, a rival mad genius who also wants to destroy Mobius, however the alliance is short lived as neither can agree on who is to blame when things go wrong. Captain Memo also makes an alliance with Robotnik at one point after a violent misunderstanding due to Sonic, however Robotnik abandons him to the mercy of the Merhogs when the plans go sour.
Dr. Robotnik has had a number of romantic interests throughout the series. Though the only woman he has ever truly loved was a red head woman named Lucinda. Unfortunately for the evil doctor, the feeling was not mutual and she married her true love, Lucas. After that, other women have shown interest in Robotnik such as the beautiful Katella, the hideous Snow Height, and the lustful Sonic in drag, but Robotnik never seemed to be interested in having a relationship with any of them. Robotnik seems to prefer Robotic female companionship because they can be used as a personal slave rather than an equal partner. Robotnik may not have any interest in other women because he still loves Lucinda. On the other hand, his evil heart just may not be capable to love.
|Sonic (dressed as Lucinda)||"Best Hedgehog"|
|Omletta||"Sonic the Matchmaker"|
|RoboWife||"Sonic is Running"|
|Sonic (while he's in another costume named Jodie)||"Sonic is Running"|
|Snow Height||"Sonically Ever After"|
|Sonic (dressed as Rapunzel)||"Sonically Ever After"|
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean MachineEdit
This variation of Doctor Robotnik appears as main villain and 13th stage's opponent in both 16-bit and 8-bit versions of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. In the game, Robotnik creates the Mean Bean-Steaming Machine, which changes the jolly folk of Beanville into robot slaves that help him to get rid all Mobius of music and fun.
As Sonic is not seen in the game, Has Bean, former inhabitant of Beanville faces all Robotnik's guards including Coconuts, Grounder and Scratch to save the folk of Beanville. When Robotnik sees that his badniks have got defeated, he decided to take the event on his own hands. As the game is western version of Puyo Puyo, Robotnik has the moveset of Satan from Puyo Puyo. After the duel, Mean Bean-Steaming Machine gets destroyed and Robotnik escapes with his Egg-O-Matic while jolly folk of Beanville have got free.
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean MachineEdit
- "You dopey Duncebots! Can't you do anything right? Now I'll have to do my own dirty work and blend those beans."
Adventures of Sonic the HedgehogEdit
- "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!"
- "Goo-goo poo-poo to you, too!"
- "Chocolate not bad, but me still gonna get you!"
- "DRAT! DOUBLE DRAT!"
- "Yuck, only black and green jelly beans left!"
- "The red button, you monkey wrench!"
- "YOU STUPID CRETINS! LOOK WHAT YOU...*turns into a baby*...did to Robotnik. Me very mad now. Very mad."
- "Me mad. Me very...*turns into an adult*...VERY, INCREDIBLY, INDESCRIBABLY ANGRY WITH YOU TWO IDIOTS!"
- "Ah, happiness is always so much more enjoyable when it's based on the misery of millions."
- "You lame brained, knuckle-dragging dork! How dare you interrupt me when I'm having a bath with my rubber crocodile?!"
- "Sonic fell for it. Tails is ours. I'll have to give myself a PROMOTION!"
- "Snooping as usual, I see?"
- "You can rot in jail for all I care."
- "DOI, SHOU!!"
- "ROBOTNIK! ROBOTNIK! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!, ROBOTNIK! ROBOTNIK! RA! RA! RA!"
- "I've just stole candy from 4,822 babies, what a perfect way to whet my appetite for evil!"
- "I'll make them strong, fearless, ferocious, supremely rotten like me!"
- "I've fallen and I can't get up!"
- "Why is my precious rocket ship drifting off into deep space? Why am i reading you from the coordinate of the abandoned space station? WHY! WHY! WHY!"
- Though he bears resemblance to Dr. Eggman from original Sonic the Hedgehog game, his mustache is much larger and much more ragged, his head is conical, his nose is pink and more drooping, his eyes are black and his legs are slightly bulkier. This character design which is made by Milton Knight, is later seen at various Sonic-related media and been modified to another counterpart of more serious animated series.
- This was the only English-speaking series prior to Sonic X to have Dr. Robotnik referred to as "Eggman" in the episode "Lifestyles of the Sick and Twisted" by Tails.