E-101 Beta (Ｅ－１０１ "ベータ" E - 101 "bēta"?), or E101β, is a character that appears in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. He was the first E-100 Series robot created by Dr. Eggman and was intended to serve onboard the Egg Carrier. However, when Beta lost to his "younger brother" E-102 Gamma in combat, he was discarded by Eggman and upgraded to E-101 Mark II, only to be destroyed by Gamma shortly after.
E-101 Beta was created by Dr. Eggman as the first of the doctor's E-100 Series robots, with a grey-feathered Flicky bird serving as his power source. Some time after his creation, Beta went to the Final Egg shooting range to practice while Eggman finished constructing Beta's "younger brother", E-102 Gamma.
Shortly after Gamma's creation and test-run, Beta was summoned by Eggman and was pitted against Gamma to decided who of them would get a position among the crew onboard Dr. Eggman's Egg Carrier. Despite having the odds in his favor, Beta was defeated by Gamma. Not beaten in spirit though, Beta mutely appealed to his creator to still come along. Interested, Eggman eventually allowed Beta the privilege on the grounds that they could "always use a spare set of parts."
Having been regarded obsolete, Beta was relegated to an Egg Carrier robotics lab. There, Beta underwent a torturous remodeling operation into the more powerful E-101 Mark II where he was physically dismembered and his old limbs were discarded on the floor while mechanical arms worked on him. In the midst of this process, Gamma stumbled into the lab and saw the operations on Beta. This horrible sight served as the breaking point for Gamma that set him on the road to apostasy, making him betray Dr. Eggman numerous times before setting out on his own and deleting Eggman from his master registration.
Eventually, E-101 Mark II was finished and escaped from the Egg Carrier, but was soon after confronted by Gamma, as a part of the former's fratricidal crusade to "rescue" his brothers from Eggman's control by destroying them. E-101 Mark II lost to Gamma, but rather than going down alone, it used its last power to blast Gamma with its cannons at point-blank range, causing fatal damage to its younger brother before it itself exploded.
Powers and Abilities
Beta was equipped with small twin missile cannons ﬁtted to each arm that could fire powerful missiles. He also possessed a Jet Booster that enabled him to slowly hover through the air to a safe landing. Additionally, as shown by his design, Beta could change his body frame when crouching down which let him roll on a set of wheels behind his feet to increase his speed.
E-101 Beta is a moderately tough foe, but you can target and fire faster than it can. Target E-101's missiles, as well as the robot itself. Keep your distance and use your speed to your advantage.
Appearances in Other Media
E-101 Beta appears in Sonic X. During the Chaos Saga of the show, Beta mirrored several key points in its original story line and also gained more scenes by taking most of E-105 Zeta's role from the game.
One of these key features that was not present in Sonic Adventure is Beta's ability to speak. Like ZERO in Sonic Adventure, E-101 was also unable to, or was at least not shown to speak, and could only respond by "Body Language"- in its case, interrupting Eggman and giving signals via movement and its blank facial expression. Beta also goes out to find Froggy along with the other E-Series robots, something which originally Zeta had done; in the game, Beta was already undergoing its modification process.
Like the other E-Series in Sonic X, Beta's new voice was very high-pitched and, according to fans, unenthusiastic, as opposed to in Sonic Adventure where the robots spoke in a manner that while still being slightly robotic, was very intelligent and much more human than drone-like. Additionally, Beta was a silent character in the game.
As a Flicky
When E101mkII is destroyed, a gray Flicky with red eyes emerges from the robotic armor sealing him inside. After Gamma's story, he flies off with Gamma's Flicky. He also appeared in Amy Rose's story in Birdie's pendant showing Gamma and Beta's Flickies.
- Beta and Gamma are mentioned in Sonic Heroes; when Team Dark gets an E rank, E-123 Omega would occasionally say "I couldn't even beat Gamma or Beta."
- It is assumed that Beta's discarded Missile Launcher arms were used on Delta.
- Beta is one of two E-Series robots in Sonic Adventure to receive a physical upgrade (the other being Zeta). The remaining E-Series, including Gamma, only received enhanced Arm Cannons (and a Jet Booster).
- Strangely, in the ending shots found in the credits of Gamma's story mode, any time Beta is seen he does not feature his jet booster or twin arm cannons, appearing as a black version of E-102 disregarding his specific numbering and lack of targeting sight.
- When found in the middle of his reconstruction, Gamma looks down and sees Beta's discarded parts on the ground, oddly including Gamma's missile launcher despite Beta having twin arm cannons.
- ↑ Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (June 27, 2003). Sonic Adventure. GameCube. Sega. Level/area: Egg Carrier Adventure Field. "Eggman: "Enter, Gamma! You are not as advanced as Beta is, but you'll do fine"
- ↑ Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (June 27, 2003). Sonic Adventure. GameCube. Sega. Level/area: Egg Carrier Adventure Field. "Eggman: "I am pitting the two of you against each other, and the winner serves on my ship. I put my bets on Beta, but I owe you at least a fair chance."