The Egg Carrier is an Adventure Field that appears in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. It takes place across the original Egg Carrier, the former flying fortress belonging to Dr. Eggman. The Egg Carrier can be accessed through a watermill raft in the Mystic Ruins and a small vessel in Station Square. From this Adventure Field, a number of Action Stages and events can be reached.
The Egg Carrier was Eggman's base of operation for the majority of his agenda to control Chaos. Due to the efforts of Sonic the Hedgehog and co. however, it ended up floating off the coast of the Mystic Ruins.
Like the other Adventure Fields in Sonic Adventure, the Egg Carrier is comprised of a number of distinct areas and a Chao Garden. Unlike the others however, the Egg Carrier's layout changes according to the vessel's transformation. When post-transformed, certain areas cannot be accessed directly. Also, according to each Egg Carrier mode, local water capacities, the heights of Springs and trajectories of several Cannons will change.
Area A - Deck
The Deck of the Egg Carrier in its pre-transformed state allows movement through without interruption.
The Deck is where the Center Dome is located. On the deck aisles lie the Ramp to Station Square and Ramp to Mystic Ruins which lead to their respective Adventure Fields. Also, in one of the aisles, there is a Monorail Station that leads to the Egg Carrier Hall. To the back of the Deck (collectively referred to as the "deck"), there are a mast with two platforms that serve as some kind of crow's nest, the entrances to the Radar Room, the Captain Room, the Pool and an elevator that leads to the Egg Carrier Hall.
The bottom landing Cannons and the ones around the Center Dome can shoot Sonic to the middle of it, while the ones on the back can shoot him to the middle mast platform. Curiously, the blown-up glass Central Dome is reconstructed and running after the fallen Egg Carrier is visited for the first time.
Area B - Forward Deck
The deck of the Egg Carrier in its post-transformed state is divided into two: the Forward Deck and the Rear Deck.
The only way to access the Rear Deck from the Forward Deck is by means of the Sky Deck, which leads to the Egg Carrier Hall, or by using the Monorail that also leads to the Egg Carrier Hall (not running when Sonic first arrives on the Egg Carrier). The Forward Deck si composed of the Center Dome, the Ramps to Station Square and Mystic Ruins (becomes boat landings after the Egg Carrier crashes) that lead to their respective Adventure Fields, the Monorail Station mentioned above and the Forward Deck's Sky Deck Entrance.
The bottom and back landing Cannons here can shoot Sonic to the Sky Deck Entrance and those on the front can send him to the aisle landing strips. The ones around the Center Dome can send him to the opposite rotating platform at the top of the ship's mast.
Area C - Rear Deck
The deck of the Egg Carrier in its post-transformed state is divided into two: the Forward Deck and the Rear Deck.
The only way to access the Forward Deck from the Rear Deck (also referred to as just the "deck") is by means of the Egg Carrier Hall and then using the Monorail. The Rear Deck is composed of the Radar Room, the Pool and Private Room entrances, and the Free Floating Platform that leads to the Egg Carrier Hall.
The two Cannons here can launch Sonic to the top of the quarter's roof. There are also several Super Ring Item Boxes, two at the utmost back of the vessel and one below the highest platform which only Tails can reach.
Area D - Captain Room
The Captain Room is a small room where the Transformation Switch for the Egg Carrier is: between the rails of the Captain's Seat. Standing on the seat makes it go back and forth on these rails. When Sonic arrives from the Private Room, the seat is always over the switch, but it will be pushed to the front when the Egg Carrier's wings are spread.
Area E - Pool
The Pool is one of Eggman's extravagances. It is accessed through the deck, in either transformation of the Egg Carrier (Rear Deck when transformed). The Pool is full of water before the Egg Carrier transforms when Sonic first arrives. Once it is in attack mode, the water will be drained and the Sky Deck Entrance at the bottom, which leads to a small room, will be open. There are six Super Ring Item Boxes on the platforms above and in the Sky Deck's entrance room.
Area F - Private Room
The Private Room has two entrances from the Rear Deck in the Egg Carrier's post-transformed state, and it is impossible to reach in the vessel's pre-transformed state. Going through the bottom landing door at the right of the structure leads to an hexagonal room with two locked doors and a Ring switch (they do not spawn like in Station Square's equivalents). Using the Light Speed Dash here will lead to the Captain Room through the ceiling. Going through the door on the balcony on the first story of the structure leads to the Study. In there, there is a switch that drops Eggman's wallbed down. A door leads to the hexagonal room described above and this time both doors are left unlocked. The second door leads to the Playroom which contains a lot of funny gadgets, but only the Egg Mobiles are somewhat interactable.
Area G - Egg Carrier Hall
The Egg Carrier Hall is accessed through the deck by the Free-Floating Platform or through Sky Deck for Sonic and Tails. To the east is a set of buttons that open the entrance to the Torture Chamber with the Hedgehog Hammer and the Prison Room, and the Hot Shelter Entrance respectively. To the west are the Dr. Robotnik Buttons that will open the door to the Chao Garden Portal/Warp Hall. Other locations include the Free-Floating Platform/Elevatore that leads to the deck, the Monorail Station, the Weapon's Storage/Arsenal (where the Jet Booster is), and the Water Reserve/Water Tank (where the Laser Blaster is). The Water Tank is full of water, making it unavailable while the Egg Carrier is transformed, and only accessible after the Egg Carrier crashes and de-transforms. Curiously, the robot maids that clean the Egg Carrier Hall are still working after the Egg Carrier crashes.
When Sonic sat foot on the Egg Carrier with Tails to retrieve Amy, the Egg Carrier automatically folded its wings out, cutting them off from the bridge. After a perilous trek, Sonic switched the Egg Carrier back to its original shape so he could pursue Dr. Eggman further. At the same time, multiple events occur: Amy managed to escape Eggman's captivity by converting E-102 Gamma to the side of good, Knuckles was searching the Egg Carrier for the Master Emerald's shards, and Big was looking for Froggy around the vessel.
Sonic ended up confronting Gamma when he found Eggman, but Amy convinced him not to destroy her rescuer. Having Tails take Amy to safety, Sonic pursued Eggman, but came across Chaos 6 at the same time as Big, and helped the cat rescue Froggy from inside Chaos 6. As the Egg Carrier began to crash, Sonic followed Eggman off the ship while Knuckles took over his fight with Chaos 6. Taking out Chaos and retrieving the Chaos Emeralds, Knuckles abandoned the ship. Big also escaped from the Egg Carrier using the Tornado 2.
After the Egg Carrier had crashed, Amy and Gamma returned separately to the ship. There, Gamma destroyed E-101 Mark II at the cost of itself, while Amy reunited her Flicky friend with its family after defeating ZERO.
- Hot Shelter: An Action Stage filled with cogs and gears, high-speed transport rails, elevators, cranes and many other mechanisms. This Action Stage is playable as Amy, Big, and Gamma, and can be accessed through the Hot Shelter Entrance in the Egg Carrier Hall.
- Sky Deck: An Action Stage set on the outside of the Egg Carrier, and split into three parts. The first one is set underneath the ship, on various platforms attached to the belly of the ship, and ends with a gigantic cannon. The second part is set on the wing of the ship, and ends with another cannon. The third part is on the deck in the middle area of the ship which is revealed when the ship is in defensive mode. Here, the gravity is constantly changing as the ship goes through many sharp turns, with the ship apparently pointing straight downwards at one point. This Action Stage is playable as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Sonic and Tails enter through the Sky Deck Entrance on the Forward Deck, while Knuckles enters through the Sky Deck Entrance in the Pool. When Knuckles finishes said Action Stage, he will return to the Pool.
- Chaos 6: Sonic, Knuckles and Big fight Chaos powered by six Chaos Emeralds. This boss is fought on the Center Dome. Sonic and Knuckles both fight Chaos by freezing him with Eggman's ice-mines, while Big simply has to fish Froggy out of Chaos. During Knuckles' fight some of the sections of glass were shattered (presumably in Chaos 6's previous fight with Sonic), leaving dangerous gaps which the player must not fall in to.
- Character conflict: Sonic and Tails battle E-102, while E-102 battles Sonic. This fight is set on the rear deck of the Egg Carrier.
- E-101mkII: E-102 fights his enhanced brother, E-101 Beta. This battle is also set on the Center Dome.
- ZERO: Amy fights ZERO, the robot that chased her throughout the game. This battle is, again, set on the Center Dome with electricity surrounding the battle area.
- Egg Carrier Island: Located in the Egg Carrier Hall's Warp Hall, which requires the password "EGGMAN" to gain access. It is a desert island with a base and a huge crashed missile.
- Sky Chase: A mini-game where Sonic and Tails chase the Egg Carrier in their plane, shooting down enemy robots. Sky Chase Act 1 uses the Tornado, while Sky Chase Act 2 uses the upgraded Tornado 2. The Egg Carrier itself is also fought as a boss in Act 2.
- Hedgehog Hammer: After Amy escapes from her prison cell she must play a sub-game called Hedgehog Hammer. She uses her Piko Piko Hammer to smash Sonic and Super Sonic-looking heads. There are also Eggman ones, but these decrease the players score. The player must beat Eggman's score to proceed as well as obtaining the Warrior Feather. After returning to the Egg Carrier as soon as the Mystic Ruins is accessible as Amy, getting a certain score will earn her the Long Hammer. This however can be replayed right after the first challenge.
- In Sonic Adventure, there are unnamed janitor robots appearing on the inside of the Egg Carrier. Their mop is animated and they can be pushed around. These were removed in Sonic Adventure DX.
- The song "Calm After the Storm - Egg Carrier - The Ocean" is listed as the Egg Carrier's second Field Map track, implying it was meant to replace the map's default track when floating in the ocean. However, the track only plays once during the game, during E-102's assessment of the Egg Carrier and fellow E-series robots upon arriving. The Egg Carrier's default track still plays for the map afterwards.
- The BGM played on the Egg Carrier in Sonic Adventure is called Egg Carrier - A Song That Keeps Us On The Move.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier: Pre-Transformation. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ In-game map of the Egg Carrier from Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier: Post-Transformation. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 In-game map of the Egg Carrier from Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 11.8 11.9 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Egg Carrier. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 18 July 2016.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 In-game map of the Egg Carrier Hall from Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
- Egg Carrier at Sonic Retro