Eggman created this mechanical dragon in his efforts to thwart Sonic, putting years of research into the hedgehog's movements patterns to use in its design. It represents the absolute pinnacle of mad science.
— Description, Sonic Unleashed
The Egg Dragoon (エッグ・ドラグーン Eggu Doragūn?), also referred to as the Ultra-Hyper Prototype-1 (ウルトラハイパー・プロトタイプ第1号 Urutorahaipā Purototaipu Dai 1 gō?), is a recurring vehicle in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a large dragon-based mech created by Dr. Eggman for the purpose of defeating Sonic the Hedgehog. It represents the absolute pinnacle of mad science.
The Egg Dragoon is an imposing red mecha with design similarities to that of a dragon. Highly detailed, it has a bulky humanoid torso with spiked shoulder guards, several highlights on the front, a smaller platform-like torso inside the main torso for the Egg Mobile to be inserted into as a cockpit, blue pongs on its lower torso, thin arms with spiky shoulders, two wing units and exhaust pipes on the back. On its left arm it has a long and gigantic drill, and on the right arm it has a six-barreled cannon. Along the cannon's octagonal carapace, its small barrels extend outward from the primary mechanism. Also, on the bottom of its torso dangles a lower-belly with two smaller cores and two talon-like feet cannons.
The first Egg Dragoon's wing units consisted simply of energy protrusions that formed wings. The second model had frames added to them. Also, its lower-belly initially consisted of lights, but would be redesigned as an additional cockpit for the second version. The second model also had a tail added to it.
Features and abilities
The Egg Dragoon is one of Eggman's most powerful and versatile creations to date, its design being derived from years of research on Sonic the Hedgehog's movements patterns. Its thick armor makes most of its body impregnable even against Sonic's attacks, and it possesses a lethally efficient selection of weapons that harness fire, lightning and ice elements. In addition, it possesses wing units on its back that allow it to fly, and its drill can be launched as an electrically-charged homing missile (which the Egg Dragoon can reload without limit) that can easily pierce through meter-thick metal. Also, even without a pilot, the Egg Dragoon is capable of operating on its own.
The first Egg Dragoon channeled the majority of its element powers through its massive cannon. This cannon rotated independently at great speed, launching a barrage of fireballs with every spin, similar to that of a Gatling gun, which could set the ground ablaze. The cannon could also focus ice into a concentrated blast which could freeze anything solid upon contact. With its left drill-arm, it could also release a massive wave of electrical energy with a single swing.
The second Egg Dragoon was heavily redesigned with more lethal capabilities. Its cannon had been modified into spewing multiple beams of fire over a wider range, and its feet had been turned into ice cannons, allowing it to not only fire rapid ice blasts, but also freezing waves along the ground. Its drill had also been upgraded so it could create electrified explosions upon impact when fired as a missile. Most noticeably however, it possessed a much more modular design that allowed it to change shape. Its body could split into two independent robot units for two-pronged attacks (dubbed the "Separation Attack"), and its arms could be reconfigured into massive blocks for flattening foes. Its modular design also allowed Eggman to toggle between its two sets of cockpits, enabling him to attack using the machine's torso and legs respectively. This version also proved itself incredibly fast, easily keeping up with even Sonic's running speed.
In Sonic Unleashed, the Egg Dragoon was created by Dr. Eggman during the Dark Gaia incident to thwart Sonic. For its creation, Eggman used years of research into Sonic's movements patterns and the energy he harnessed from Dark Gaia. After Sonic the Werehog and Chip activated the Gaia Temple in Eggmanland, Eggman ambushed the duo with his Egg Dragoon and had it destroy the cover of the canal Sonic and Chip stood on, sending them tumbling down to the core of the earth where they were forced to seek foothold on a chunk of metal. There, Eggman commandeered the Egg Dragoon into a heated battle with Sonic, who tore the mech apart with his Werehog strength and left it to fall and melt into slag in the planet's core.
In the console/PC version of Sonic Generations, a heavily re-modified Egg Dragoon with a wider arsenal was used by Dr. Eggman for a rematch with Sonic when the hedgehog entered the time frame of the Dark Gaia incident. Despite taking Sonic by surprise with the Egg Dragoon, the mech was still destroyed by Sonic's hands.
The Egg Dragoon is scheduled to make a re-appearance as a boss in one of the Green Hill stages for Sonic Forces. It plays similarily to how it used to in the past game, interestingly enough it isn't one of the last bosses, like it has been in the other games, but instead one of the first bosses, it is unknown if it will return later in the game.
Other game appearances
Sonic Unleashed (Mobile)
In the mobile version of Sonic Unleashed, a version of the Egg Dragoon powered by Dark Gaia is the final boss of the game instead of Perfect Dark Gaia and is fought in Mazuri instead of Eggmanland like in the console versions. The design is also quite different.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Egg Dragoon debuted in Sonic the Hedgehog #285. During the Sonic Unleashed adaptation (the Shattered World Crisis), Dr. Eggman created this robot to combat Sonic the Hedgehog while the hedgehog was on a rescue mission to save Chip and retrieve the Chaos Emeralds.
- In all of its appearances, the Egg Dragoon was fought by a different form of Sonic. In Sonic Unleashed he is fought by Sonic the Werehog, while in Sonic Generations he is fought by Modern Sonic, and in Sonic Forces by Classic Sonic.
- Additionally, the Egg Dragoon is the only Eggman boss battle fought as Sonic's Werehog form in Sonic Unleashed.
- Due to its appearance in Sonic Generations, the Egg Dragoon is the only boss from Sonic Unleashed that is ever fought as both Normal and Werehog Sonic.
- In the cutscene before the fight in the Wii/PS2 version, the cutscene uses the lighting of the Wii/PS2 version even though it is pre-rendered.
- The Egg Dragoon's elemental attacks in Sonic Unleashed seem to give references to the game's other night time bosses; the ice bomb refers to Dark Moray, the fire bullets refer to the Dark Gaia Phoenix, and the electric swing with its drill refers to Dark Guardian.
- The portals the Egg Dragoon goes through in the Sonic Generations battle are similar to the ones the Time Eater creates. It is possible that the Time Eater was helping him during the fight, or Modern Eggman infused some of its power within it.
- With the music for this battle was remixed for Sonic Generations, the only things that was changed was the orchestra, which was removed.
- It appears that Eggman had an early design for the Egg Dragoon which was used on his Star Cruiser during the opening cinematic of Sonic Unleashed. The torso of the original mech became part of the Egg Dragoon's "head".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Team (9 December 2008). Sonic Unleashed. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Eggmanland. "Dr. Eggman: Thanks to my wondrous technology, Dark Gaia is whole and complete! I harnessed its energy to put together this little creation. Behold, the ultra-hyper Prototype-1! Crush them!"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sonic Team (9 December 2008). Sonic Unleashed. PlayStation 3. Sega. "Eggman's Machinery, entry 030/030: Eggman created this mechanical dragon in his efforts to thwart Sonic, putting years of research into the hedgehog's movements patterns to use in its design. It represents the absolute pinnacle of mad science."
- ↑ BradyGames (1 November 2011). Sonic Generations: BradyGames Official Strategy Guide. BradyGames. p. 184-186. ISBN 978-0761555100.