Eggrobo (エッグロボ Eggurobo?), also spelled as EggRobo or Egg Robo, is a recurring character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series which debuted in Sonic & Knuckles. They are mass-produced Badnik models resembling their creator Dr. Eggman. In addition to being powerful soldiers on the battlefield, the Eggrobos are smart-bots designed to carry out tasks in Eggman's stead, making them a crow jewel in Eggman's attack force.
Eggrobos are fully egg-shaped humanoid Badniks, based on Dr. Eggman's likeness. Their middle torso is red with yellow downward-pointing triangles on the front while their lower torso is black with two silver buttons on the front, making their design resemble Eggman's attire from the pre-Dreamcast era. Their grey head area is clean with two small red eyes and a flat jaw fasten by yellow bolts. On their back they have two yellow and grey rockets for flight. They also have thin robotic arms and legs with round shoulders, white gloves and black shoes with white straps.
Since Sonic Generations, the Eggrobos' design became more detailed. In the same game, a different colored version of the Eggrobo appeared. These variations have complete black and grey torsos with red cape-markings and hatches on their head.
Powers and abilities
The Eggrobos were intended to be the strongest of Dr. Eggman's robots, including Metal Sonic and Metal Knuckles. This implies that the Eggrobos are more powerful than the average Badnik. Eggman also boasts of the offensive abilities he gave them, suggesting they pack lots of firepower.
All Eggrobos are capable of flight using their rockets. However, their true strength lies in their design which minimizes air resistance, allowing them to move at speeds matching even Metal Sonic's. Black variations of Eggrobos introduced in Sonic Generations can also launch rockets from their heads.
The standard Eggrobos' primary weapons are singular energy beam pistols, which they wield at all time. These pistols can shoot long neon colored laser beams.
Sonic & Knuckles
In Sonic's storyline of Sonic & Knuckles and the lock-on version Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Eggrobos appear as standard enemies in Sky Sanctuary Zone where they are launched from the Death Egg. In gameplay, they hover in one place and shoot lasers from their pistols. Sometimes, they also emerge from towers with Animals escaping in their wake. The player can easily defeat them with a Spin Jump.
An Eggrobo has a rather more prominent role in the Knuckles' storyline of Sonic & Knuckles. Accordingly, it was sent by Dr. Eggman to eliminate Knuckles, whom Eggman had deemed a potential threat. It is also implied that the Eggrobo in Knuckles' story is the same one that appeared in Sonic's imperfect ending (if the Super Emeralds are not collected), implying that this Eggrobo survived the Death Egg's destruction. This antagonistic Eggrobo appeared in the opening of Knuckles' storyline in Sonic & Knuckles. As Knuckles relaxed in the Mushroom Hill Zone, the Eggrobo dropped a bomb near him, but only made the Animals run away. Enranged, Knuckles set off to defeat the Eggrobo.
From there, the Eggrobo replaces Dr. Eggman amongst the bosses in every Zone up until the Hidden Palace Zone, excluding the Flying Battery Zone.[note 1] These boss battles with the Eggrobo are more challenging and have alternate attack patterns. The Eggrobo was finally destroyed by Mecha Sonic in the Sky Sanctuary Zone when Knuckles escaped the Eggrobos' restraints just as Mecha Sonic charged at him, making Mecha Sonic destroyed the Eggrobo instead.
In Sonic R, the Eggrobo, renamed Eggman Robo (エッグマンロボ Egguman Robo?) in the Japanese version, appeared as an unlockable character. It is unlocked by getting all of the five Sonic Tokens on the Regal Ruin course.
Like Metal Sonic, Tails Doll, and Metal Knuckles, the Eggrobo is the robotic counterpart for Dr. Robotnik. Like Robotnik, it can fire Homing Misiles and hover across water, albeit only for about three seconds. Though it is a bit slow and clunky, it has superior cornering ability.
Sonic Adventure 2
In Sonic Adventure 2, the Eggrobo as a kart racing VMU Download with his own stage, and again in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle as Rouge the Bat's unlockable sub kart, obtained by getting all the Emblems for Rouge's missions.
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
In the PC/console version of Sonic Generations, the Eggrobos appear as an enemies in Sky Sanctuary. Like in Sonic & Knuckles, they are launched from rising Death Egg as seen in Sky Sanctuary Act 1. Their attack pattern is relatively same as in Sonic & Knuckles, but they do not contain any Animals.
The game introduces a darker variation of Eggrobos in Sky Sanctuary Act 2 and several Challenge Acts which missiles from their head that home in on the player, although these missiles are rather slow. A regular Eggrobo statue can also be unlocked in the Statue Room.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
In Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed, Eggrobos make an appearance on the Sanctuary Falls track, which itself is based on the Sky Sanctuary Zone from Sonic & Knuckles. In this track, Eggrobos appear as both an obstacle and as a standard enemy like in their debut.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, the Eggrobos as common enemies in Smash Run. Unlike the original games, Eggrobos move around while on flight, and can fire their blaster at their targeted player. In addition to Smash Run, it also appears as a trophy:
In other media
Sonic the Comic
An army of EggRobos appeared in the Sonic & Knuckles adaptation from Fleetway Editions' Sonic the Comic. In this series, the EggRobos could be controlled directly by Robotnik from his control room aboard the Death Egg. Each model had cameras fitted into its eyes, allowing Robotnik to see everything, and a voice synthesizer allowed the doctor to communicate directly via the robots. EggRobos could also function as regular Badniks without Robotnik's direct control.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Eggrobos were built by Snively Robotnik to be part of his own private army. They were intended to be used against Snively's uncle, Doctor Robotnik, and let him take over Mobius himself. Although Snively referred to them as "EggRobos" in their first appearance, Antoine D'Coolette called them "Eggbots," which was the name used in subsequent appearances.
Following the events of Worlds Collide, the Eggbots' history has become nearly identical to their game counterparts'.
- The Eggrobo has become basics for many later created Eggman-looking robots in games and other media. Notable of these include Robotnik's guard robots from Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, briefly seen robots from Sonic the Fighters, E-100 series robots, Egg Pawns, Egg Fighters and Egg Bot from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
- All three Sonic Advance titles have final boss robots that use title "Eggrobo"; Sonic Advance features the Super Egg Robot, Sonic Advance 2 has the Super Eggrobo Z, and Sonic Advance 3 feature the Hyper Eggrobo.
- In Sonic Generations, the Eggrobo is the only enemy robot which shoots its own unique laser weapon. All other robot enemies with projectiles shoot a small yellow energy ball.
- The Eggrobo made a cameo on the cover of Sonic X issue 11.
- ↑ During the boss battle of Flying Battery Zone Act 2 as Knuckles, Dr. Eggman is piloting Hang Mobile instead of Eggtobo. No reasons is known for this, but this is presumably due the lack of separated in-game sprites of Eggrobo for the vehicle.
- ↑ Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis) North American instruction manual pg. 20.
- ↑ One of artworks showcasing Egg Robo from the Sonic World feature of Sonic Jam.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 About Characters (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 9 October 2009. Retrieved on 5 July 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic The Hedgehog 4. Sega. Archived from the original on 30 May 2013. Retrieved on 26 January 2015. “Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobot to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Hill Zone - and attempts to eliminate him with a bomb - bot Knuckles, whether through luck or toughness, surivives the attack. Enraged, the wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo.”
- ↑ http://sonic2.dricas.ne.jp/en/dload/downloadpage/download08.html
- ↑ Super Smash Bros 3DS - Smash Run Gameplay w/ Direct Audio (E3 2014)
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #49, "Count Down to Disaster, Part 1"
- ↑ Knuckles Knock-Out Special, "Jake's Story"
- ↑ Sonic Holiday Special 1996, "Sonic Vs Shortfuse"
|Heroes||Sonic | Tails | Amy | Knuckles | Vector | Espio | Charmy | Mighty | Big | Tikal | Cream | Emerl | Blaze | Omochao | Silver|
|Antiheroes||Chaos | Gamma | Shadow | Rouge | Omega | Jet | Wave | Storm|
|Villains||Eggman | Metal Sonic | Eggrobo | Fang | Eggman Nega | ZERO|
|Other||Mecha Sonic | Gerald | Froggy | Cheese | Vanilla|