Sonic fighting Egg Viper in Sonic Adventure DX.
Dr. Eggman's last machine to go against Sonic. Takes 7 hits to defeat.
The Egg Viper (エッグバイパー Eggu Baipā?) is the final machine used by Dr. Eggman in Sonic Adventure. It is a flying snake-like machine with two large spiked slowly-spinning discs on either side of the main body that fires rapid lasers, a powerful laser cannon, spiked discs, and homing balls of electricity. This is widely considered the most popular of Eggman's vehicles.
As the name states, Egg Viper is similar to a snake or anaconda. It is mostly red with white spikes on its tail. It has black and yellow stripes on its head. There are some green and gray spots on its spikes platforms and has a red eye. An Egg Mobile can be seen inside the head.
In Sonic Adventure, it was the final boss for Sonic's story. After braving the Final Egg, Sonic made it to the center of the base where he and Dr. Eggman had their showdown. After defeating it, Sonic and Eggman escape before the expected explosion and Sonic's story comes to a close with him and Tails meeting up for a nice run.
To beat him, Sonic can jump onto sections of the Egg Viper's tail while it's preparing to fire a laser, or ride the spinning discs to get within attacking range. The Viper's usual pattern is first firing numerous lasers, then exposes its tail, with green lights on the links of it that Sonic can homing attack. When the Viper is damaged to a certain degree, it destroys the platforms on one side of the stage. It will then smash through the end platform on the remaining side, where Sonic is standing, and then attack by launching the razor discs, which Sonic can jump on and hit Eggman; if Sonic keeps missing his chances in hitting Eggman in this phase, eventually he would run out of platforms and fall to his death. After Sonic has completely depleted the Viper's health bar, the machine will convulse uncontrollably, and will attempt the Suicide Attack, in which, with the small amount of power left, the Viper will ram into the platform Sonic is standing on. If it succeeds, it kills Sonic alongside the machine and they both explode in the abyss; this can be problematic if Eggman has destroyed many platforms during his attack due to Sonic missing his chances to attack Eggman, and if only one platform remained by the time Eggman attempts the kamikaze assault, then Sonic would automatically lose.
The Egg Viper was also seen in the Sonic Adventure adaptation (Revenge of the Robot) in Sonic X. Its role in the story and functions were pretty much the same. The fight was noticeably different however: it took place on ground level as opposed to two long platforms over an abyss, so the danger of Sonic falling to his death did not apply. Eggman's main method of attack with the Viper was to use its size to crush Sonic, as opposed to relying on its firearms and blades to do him in, though he did use the laser.
- The Egg Viper is similar to the Egg Wyvern. Both bosses are the same color, both are suspended above low ground, both battles have a part where you attack Dr. Eggman head on, and both bosses destroy platforms and decrease the amount of space you have to run on.
- Players are very versed on the Viper's difficulty, some find it easy, others find it obscenely difficult and annoying.
- Its final attack when Sonic destroys the Egg Viper is similar to the Death Egg Robot's final attack in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I.
- This boss, as well as the Egg Walker boss, is infamous for Eggman's line: "Get a load of this!"
- The Egg Viper has the most health out of every boss in the game, even having more health than the final boss, Perfect Chaos.