The Egg-Wyvern's intro screen
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
A large wyvern-looking robot piloted by Doctor Eggman himself.
The Egg-Wyvern is the final boss in Sonic's story in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). The Egg-Wyvern is a large robot that is similar to the creature of the same name. It is completely red with spots of silver, white, and black here and there. Its lower jaw is actually the Egg Mobile used throughout Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) that is simply attached to the robot's neck.
The Egg-Wyvern only made an appearance in Sonic's story as the final boss. After Sonic made it to Eggman's cockpit to rescue Elise, the doctor had finally lost his final straw and decided that it was time to end it right then and there. However, unexplained it is, the battle somehow made its way outside, where Eggman attached the Egg Mobile to the Egg-Wyvern and charged at Sonic. In the end, Sonic was able to defeat the robot and send Eggman spiraling into the sky on his detached seat.
The Egg-Wyvern has a decent assortment of weapons. It uses it's whole body as a weapon in the boss battle with him as he was able to charge at Sonic in the hopes of taking him out. The glowing red horn on its head may however have been the real thing that was to serve as a weapon despite the fact that all Sonic had to do was homing attack it to latch on. It fires a random assortment of lasers down at Sonic at one point. At another point it flies around and shoots multiple fire blasts toward Sonic. And throughout the course of the battle is fires electric projectiles that are able to take out the platforms Sonic stands on.
"Tired of his metal minions always failing to stop Sonic The Hedgehog, Dr. Eggman ﬁnally decides to engage his nemesis himself. The madman sits down in his most terrifying creation, the Egg Wyvern. The attack ship is a high-speed ﬁghter armed with Laser Cannons that sear the landscape with blistering energy beams. The lasers are not Sonic’s only concern during this battle in the clouds, though. Desperate to destroy Sonic, Eggman uses the power of the Egg Wyvern to destroy the very platform Sonic is standing on with a series of attacks. In order to survive this epic battle, Sonic must outmaneuver Dr. Eggman and his attack ﬁghter and commandeer the Egg Wyvern. "
When the battle begins, run around the platform to pick up Rings while Dr. Eggman gets in position to buzz the player from overhead. Gather these Rings sooner rather than later, since the platform shrinks throughout the battle. Your goal in this battle is to wrest control of the Egg Wyvern. When Dr. Eggman strafes the platform, he ﬂies low enough to clip Sonic. Hit the ship with a Homing Attack. Sonic jumps up and grabs the antenna at the nose of the Egg Wyvern. If the player is badly hurt or just need a momentary break, you can also run away when Dr. Eggman strafes the platform. The player can hold on for just a few passes over the platform before Eggman regains control of the ship from the player. While the player is got control of the Egg Wyvern, damage it by steering it into the falling cruiser debris. The cruiser is already at critical speed, shaking loose giant fuel canisters. If the player hit one of the canisters, the Egg Wyvern bucks like a bull, knocking the player back to the platform while Eggman rights the controls and comes around for another pass.
When the Egg Wyvern hovers near the edge of the platform and raises its wings like a bird trying to slow down for a landing, watch out for one of two attacks. If the player see red target reticles appear on the platform, move away and brace for a laser attack. Should one of the lasers hit the player, the player Rings are ejected with such force that most will probably ﬂy off the platform. The other attack the Egg Wyvern makes from this position is even more potent. Dr. Eggman ﬁres two stingers at the platform. When the player see the sparks from the stingers’ impact, back away because that section of the platform is about to be yanked off. If the player fail to move in time, the player will tumble to the earth below and that’s a long way down.
When he circles the platform, he ﬁres Red Flares at Sonic. After the player successfully steer the Egg Wyvern into fuel canisters four times, Dr. Eggman tries a different strategy. Instead of buzzing the platform (or what’s left of it), he shoots two powerful lasers at the player. With limited space to run, the player must get uncomfortably close to the platform’s edge to avoid being shot. However, the laser attack proves to be Dr. Eggman’s undoing. His cruiser goes crashing down to earth. He extends the cannons too close to the platform, giving the player a chance to use a Homing Attack to bounce off one of the cannons and strike the cockpit. After two more hits, Dr. Eggman will sweep in for a ﬁnal attack, in which the player must use another Homing Attack to ﬁnish him.
- The Egg-Wyvern boss battle reminds many fans of the Egg Viper boss battle from Sonic Adventure. The reasons may be due to the color of the robots, the high elevation, the destruction of platforms, certain points where you're able to hit Eggman directly, and the fact that they're both final bosses.
- At some points during the Egg-Wyvern battle, Eggman will say "Can you make it over here?", similar to a line when fighting the Egg Viper "Let's see if you can make it through here, Sonic!". Both of these quotes occur when you have to use the Homing Attack to reach Eggman.
- In addition, the Egg-Wyvern may be a throwback to a similar dragon boss concept for Sky Chase. The key difference between these battles is that Sonic is on suspended platforms surrounding the Egg Carrier, whereas the Sonic Adventure version would have likely been a minor boss for the Tornado.
- The Egg-Wyvern is the only final boss of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) which is not fought multiple times in the story, unless one counts Solaris as a separate entity from Mephiles and Iblis; Iblis is fought at the beginning and end of Silver's story, and Mephiles is fought both midway and at the end of Shadow's story.
- The Egg-Wyvern is very similar in design to the Egg Hawk, Egg Falcon, Egg Eagle and the Egg Dragoon.