The Eggman Empire is a political body that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing. It refers to the totalitarian regime ruled by the infamous Dr. Eggman that seeks to lay claim to the entire globe. Although it has occasionally been established, the Eggman Empire has never managed to hold its ground, and merely refers to the territories Eggman has claimed and plans to claim. Its main enemies are Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies.
Some time ago, the Eggman Empire got taken over by Neo Metal Sonic after the robot gained an independent personality and overthrew Dr. Eggman. However, after Team Sonic defeated Neo Metal Sonic, Eggman regained control over his empire. He also repaired Metal Sonic and removed his rebelliousness from his coding.
A while after that, the Eggman Empire went to war with the Black Arms when they invaded the world. Thanks to the empire's efforts, the heroes of the world managed to last long enough to defeat the Black Arms.
In the recent past, Dr. Eggman managed to expand the Eggman Empire across the majority of Sonic the Hedgehog's world after catching Sonic off-guard and imprisoning him. However, a resistance army soon formed to bring down the empire's regime and managed to free Sonic from his incarceration. In hopes of having a superweapon on his side for the final battle, Eggman began the process of converting Metal Sonic into Neo Metal Sonic again. Before Neo Metal Sonic could be completed however, Sonic and the Resistance beat Eggman and broke the Eggman Empire's control over their world. In the aftermath, Eggman disappeared, leaving the Eggman Empire's army directionless and causing the scattered Badniks to randomly attack anyone they came across.
Soon after, Neo Metal Sonic was completed. Seeing the state of the Eggman Empire, Neo decided to take it upon himself to continue the doctor's legacy by assuming Eggman's persona and lead the Eggman Empire for the doctor, his goal being to help the Eggman Empire conquer the world and then hand the control of the world over to Eggman once he found him.
Neo Metal Sonic's first known move was making the Eggman Empire's scattered Badniks attack towns in a more organized manner, mainly to act as trials for Sonic. After learning Knuckles the Echidna had abandoned his post on Angel Island, Neo Metal Sonic decided to plot a course for the island.
The Fate of Dr. Eggman
Following an unforeseen encounter between Sonic, the Chaotix and his troops, Neo Metal Sonic had the Eggman Empire mobilize the Egg Fleet for a trip to Angel Island. On his way to join the Egg Fleet though, Neo Metal Sonic had a brief encounter with Sonic, who managed to escape Neo's clutches after learning of his motives. Although that Sonic had been alerted to Neo Metal Sonic's activities, Neo proceeded with his master plan by invading Angel Island. In no time at all, Neo Metal Sonic conquered Angel Island and seized the Master Emerald for himself.
The Battle for Angel Island
With Angel Island turned into a flying fortress under the control of the Egg Fleet and the Master Emerald in his possession, victory seemed all but certain for Neo Metal Sonic. However, the Resistance and their allies soon made an attempt to liberate Angel Island. Upon their arrival in a battleship, the Egg Fleet shot their vessel down. However, the heroes still made it onto Angel Island. There, most of the group worked on breaking the Egg Fleet's control over Angel Island while Sonic and Knuckles confronted Neo Metal Sonic inside his fortress on the island. However, while the heroes were succesful in freeing Angel Island, Neo Metal Sonic managed to complete his plan for turning himself into Master Overlord by combing Sonic and Shadow's bio-data with the power of the Master Emerald. However, Master Overlord was eventually defeated by Sonic and his allies, causing him to de-transform back into an offline Metal Sonic. With that, the Eggman Empire was left without a leader again. However, in the meantime, Dr. Starline successfully managed to find Dr. Eggman and help him recover from his last defeat, allowing the doctor to take his rightful place in the Eggman Empire once again.
Armed forces and enforcers
The Eggman Empire commands a sizable proportion of military forces. With the engineering genius of Dr. Eggman at the helm, the empire possesses disastrously destructive machines, nigh-impenetrable fortresses, diabolical robots, and tools of Eggman's own design.
- Badniks: The Eggman Empire's brand of mass-produced robot forces. They serve as the empire's main foot soldiers. Various forces of Badniks occupy various regions of the world to supplement Eggman and his lackeys. While many of the Badniks consist of robot models based on non-anthropomorphic animals, their rosters also include models with more humanoid and weaponized designs.
- Super Badniks: Special Badniks that are more powerful and far more lethal that the regular Badniks.
Fleets and cruisers
- Egg Fleet: The Eggman Empire's aerial assault armada.
Piloted mechs and vehicles
The Eggman Empire has a several machine units that can operate independently or with a pilot. These include:
- Death Egg Robot: The signature mech of Dr. Eggman.
- Egg Dragoon: A dragon-based, anti-Sonic mech.
- Egg Emperor: An Egg Pawn-inspired mech equipped with a lance and shield.
- Egg Viper: A viper-based mech equipped with lasers.
While the Eggman Empire has rarely gained a substantial amount ground, it has still managed to build bases within certain territories that give the empire a degree of control in some parts of the world. However, its influence is kept at bay thanks to the efforts of Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies:
- The Eggman Empire is based on the political body of the same name that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog video games.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Fallout Part 1"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Sonic the Hedgehog #7, "Meet the New Boss"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #6, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 2"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Fallout Part 4"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Fallout Part 2"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #3, "Fallout Part 3"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #8, "Silent Support"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #9, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #10, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 2"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #12, "The Cost of the Battle for Angel Island"