Doctor Eggman Nega (ドクター・エッグマン・ネガ Dokutā Egguman Nega?) (real name unknown) is a major antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a human scientist and the descendant of Dr. Eggman from approximately two hundred years into the future, though he initially introduced himself as Dr. Eggman's alternate counterpart from Blaze's world.
A genius scientist whose skills are in no way inferior to Dr. Eggman, Eggman Nega seeks nothing more than the destruction of the world. Believing that Eggman's failures have ruined his reputation, Eggman Nega also holds a grudge against his ancestor.
Dr. Eggman Nega's design is similar to Dr. Eggman's albeit with some notable differences; such as a longer nose, a white mustache (suggesting he is at an elderly age), pointy blue sunglasses, and visor-styled goggles. The color of Eggman Nega's clothing is reversed compared to Eggman's; Eggman Nega wears an open black military-styled jacket with long coattails, a yellow stripe on the upper arms, and big yellow cuffs with two points. Underneath the jacket, Eggman Nega wears a red jumpsuit with a metallic-looking vertical silver stripe going up the middle and black and yellow stripey boots. Eggman Nega's outfit is completed with a short yellow cape (similar to that of Dr. Eggman's original design), which has two long triangles which rest over the front of his body.
An inhabitant from the future, Eggman Nega came from a long line of brilliant scientists, but that lineage was disrupted by Dr. Eggman's many failures throughout the years. As a result, the world refused to recognize his brilliance, denying him his destiny.
Sonic Rush series
In the Sonic Rush series, Eggman Nega is introduced as a counterpart of Dr. Eggman from another dimension. In both games, he came to Sonic's where he sought the help from Dr. Eggman so they could together construct an multidimensional Eggman Land upon Sonic's world and Blaze's world. Both times, however, their plans were foiled by Sonic the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat.
Sonic Rivals series
While Eggman himself is first thought to be the primary antagonist in Sonic Rivals, the player soon finds out that Eggman Nega (spelled 'NEGA', with all-caps) has captured Eggman and is disguising himself as him. Using a special camera, he turns several objects and characters into cards, with the objective of turning the world into a card that he will be able to control. Nega's goal was to remove all of Eggman's failed attempts at success, thus altering their family history forever. During the somewhat ambiguous ending of the game, Nega is captured inside a card of his own by Silver, yet it was never revealed how he freed himself from the card that he was imprisoned in for the sequel.
Sonic Rivals 2
In Sonic Rivals 2, Eggman Nega tries to power and awaken an inter-dimensional monster called the "Ifrit" to destroy the world by using the Chaos Emeralds and the Chao to do it after reading old files of Professor Gerald Robotnik. However, his plans were foiled once again and he is now stuck in the Ifrit's Dimension.
Other game appearances
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
In the DS version of the game, Eggman Nega appears in the Adventure Tours mode and is faced in the Nordic Combined and Skeleton events, in Frostown and Polastraits respectively. He keeps Sparky in a cage in Frostown, and later does the same to Cuby in Polastraits.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
In the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Eggman Nega returns as a rival. He appears as an NPC in the London Party mode and must be spoken to by the player in order to be versed. In the first match he is faced in the Fencing event, but subsequent rematches pit him and the players in Dream Fencing events.
In the Nintendo 3DS version of the game, Eggman Nega appears as a rival in the 4x100m Relay event. Here, it is said he came back in time to make trouble, but was supposedly stopped by Sonic and Blaze for good.
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Eggman Nega appears as a boss in the Legends Showdown mode. As all of the playable characters are about to claim the Legend Trophy, he ambushes them along with Dry Bowser and Rouge the Bat. The player must then face all three of them in the Winter Sports Champion Race event.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Eggman Nega appears as a playable character. This not only marks his first playable appearance in the Mario & Sonic series, but also his first playable appearance in any game.
While Eggman Nega is eerily polite in both manners and speech, he is just as cruel, cold, and calculating as Dr. Eggman himself; though he appears to be slightly more unstable, as he does not seem to care should the world perish if his plans to conquer it do not proceed as initially designed. Both scientists display an obvious lust for power and an extreme disregard for all life, characteristics that enabled the villains to collaborate several times in the past before Nega's own power lust and ambition to alter his future overcame these partnerships. He appears to be insane, trying to destroy the whole world along with himself on numerous occasions. He has also been described as very sneaky, even disguising himself as Dr. Eggman during the storylines of the Sonic Rivals series. His downside, however, is that he can sometimes lose track of important details while making unnecessary speeches much like his ancestor Dr. Eggman.
Alongside his villainous behavior, Eggman Nega is arrogant and sees himself above the others with his intelligence and cunning mind, and literally hates failures. To this end, he will get rid of any obstacle that distorts his evil reputation, including those he has inherited from his family.
Powers and abilities
Like his ancestor, Eggman Nega is an exceptional genius, having orchestrated numerous plots and schemes which usually only fail due to his own insanity and overconfidence. He is a remarkable scientist and engineer, as evidenced by the armies of robots and other mechanical inventions he has created. Eggman Nega is also an incredibly skilled pilot that can match his ancestor Dr. Eggman in piloting skills.
In Sonic Rush, Sonic chases and then defeats him at the end of the game. In the Rivals series, Sonic is unaware of the presence of Eggman Nega, as the revelation is not seen in his storyline.
It is quite possible that Eggman Nega sees Sonic as a bigger threat than Blaze and may even loathe him, since he is the one who taught Blaze how to properly use the Sol Emeralds and has kept her inspired and calm during critical moments. Also, while he is able to frustrate Blaze as he chooses, he has difficulty doing the same to Sonic. In fact, Sonic frustrates him.
Eggman Nega's relationship with Dr. Eggman depends on which sub-series you look at. The two worked together in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure. This is possible because they both have the same goal of ruling the world. They work together again at the end of those games to try and defeat Burning Blaze and Super Sonic, only to be defeated by the two in the end. In the version of Eggman Nega seen in Sonic Rivals, Eggman is turned into a card by his hand. He is also revealed as Eggman's descendant in this game, rejected in the future due to his ancestor's constant failures. Dr. Eggman later helps Shadow and Silver to stop Nega by flying them onto Nega's moon base. In Sonic Rivals 2, Dr. Eggman aids Shadow the Hedgehog and Metal Sonic in defeating Eggman Nega. In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Nega joins with Dr. Eggman again, and Bowser as well, and is entrusted with two of the five captured Snow Spirits Dr. Eggman caught.
One of Eggman Nega's main foes is Blaze the Cat, who guards the Sol Emeralds. It is suggested that Eggman Nega is Blaze's answer to Sonic's Dr. Eggman. Much to his amusement, Blaze loses her composure easily with him, as shown at the end of Sonic Rush Adventure when Nega threatens to destroy her kingdom. Oddly enough, Blaze has only appeared as a card in the Rivals series.
Silver is one of Eggman Nega's main foes. In Sonic Rivals, it is revealed that the two are enemies and are from the same future. Silver is one of the few characters in the game that knows that Nega is actually disguising himself as Eggman. Silver battled Eggman Nega, however Nega's device malfunctioned, and he himself was turned into a card. They clash again in Sonic Rivals 2. According to Silver, he has been chasing Eggman Nega for a long time.
Eggman Nega had a temporarily ally in Metal Sonic. Though, it is unexplained why Metal Sonic worked with Eggman Nega, but is possible that after Nega turns Eggman into a card, he reprogrammed Metal Sonic to work for him instead of Eggman. However, the alliance ended after Sonic Rivals. In Sonic Rivals 2, not only are Metal Sonic and Eggman Nega enemies, but Nega provides Metal Sonic with his own personal rival. Apparently upgrading Metal Sonic's design, Eggman Nega created Metal Sonic version 3.0.
In Sonic Rivals 2, Shadow displayed an enmity towards Eggman Nega. Shadow learned of Nega's identity and plans in the first Rivals, and is quickly caught on to his disguise as Dr. Eggman in the sequel. During Nega's second plan, Shadow worked alongside Metal Sonic to stop Eggman Nega from releasing the Ifrit and destroying the world.
In the first Rivals game, Rouge sends a distress signal for Shadow and has been turned into a card because she discovered Nega's origin and plan. In Sonic Rivals 2, Nega has some kind of connection with Rouge the Bat, who he hired to find the Chaos Emeralds for him. However, Rouge was unaware of her client's identity and came to believe it was Dr. Eggman who had hired her. Her part in Sonic Rivals 2 means that she was unwittingly working for and against Eggman Nega. Also despite finding out Nega was behind everything in the first Rivals game she doesn't in the second one.
When Espio was assigned to uncover the recent Chao-nappings, he came across Silver and later met Eggman Nega. He and Silver joined forces to battle him. Nega did whatever he could to stop the duo, but all of his attempts failed. As he sent out Metal Sonic 3.0, Silver and Espio made progress defeating it after a long harsh battle in the Ifrit's lair. The team also recovered the lost Chao from him and as Nega was suddenly stuck under rubble inside the cave while the door was closing them in asking for help but Espio answered back saying, "You reap what you sow, Eggman Nega.", leaving Nega trapped. Silver and Espio then escaped with no problem as the door closed.
- Dr. Eggman (occasionally)
- Metal Sonic (Temporary ally)
- Metal Sonic 3.0
- Bowser (Mario & Sonic series)
- Dry Bowser (Mario & Sonic series)
- Silver the Hedgehog (Arch-enemy)
- Blaze the Cat
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Rouge the Bat
- Espio the Chameleon
- Amy Rose
- Dr. Eggman
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Metal Sonic
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs, published by Archie Comics, Dr. Eggman Nega was an inter-dimensional criminal who was waging a single-man war against the Zone Cops of the No Zone. During his schemes, he encountered Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Blaze the Cat, and Marine the Raccoon when he tried to steal a Chaos Emerald.
- "Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have laughed. It's just that... you're so cruel. You taunt me by not using my full title."
- "But in the end, you will be destroyed by... Dr. Eggman Nega!"
- "Get ready to be schooled!"
- "You'll regret this!"
- "It's always best to have someone else do the dirty work."
- "I couldn't care less what happens to our world."
- "It'll be Eggmanland beyond this dimension!"
- "My incredibly profound plans... It was such as small miscalculation that I made. It shouldn't matter. And it's not *over* yet, just give me some time and I'll-"
- "Fine, then! I'll use this camera to turn the whole PLANET into a card!"
- "You can just sit back and watch! Farewell!"
- "Well, if it isn't my block-headed doppelganger! Are you stuck inside your machine ?"
- "My little contraption will chew you out, and then have seconds! Hee hee hee hee!"
- "Ah Silver, very perceptive, nothing gets past you, I see. He he he!"
- "Come forth, Metal Sonic version 3.0! Proceed through the portal and awaken the Ifrit!"
- Dr. Eggman Nega is the third most recurring villain in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, right behind Dr. Eggman and Metal Sonic.
- At Sonic Boom 2012, it was reported that Takashi Iizuka revealed that Silver the Hedgehog and Eggman Nega are from the future and Blaze the Cat is from a different dimension. This claim would be made official on Eggman Nega's Sonic Channel profile. Despite this, it seems that he has at least interacted with Blaze's world prior to the events of Sonic Rush, as Blaze expresses familiarity with him.
- Curiously, in both Sonic Rivals games, Eggman Nega's true identity was never revealed in Sonic's, Tails', Knuckles', or Rouge's stories, as they all thought that he was Dr. Eggman from the beginning to end.
- Even in Mystic Haunt Zone before fighting the Egg Phantom, Sonic and Tails encounter Eggman Nega but they assume it was "Eggman" being possessed by a ghost.
- Also when Nega tricked Shadow before the battle and he discovers him, he says his name in front of Knuckles. However, after the battle Knuckles still thought that he was Eggman and he didn't say anything about before the battle. This might occur because this happen in Shadow's and Silver's story, and in Knuckles story Shadow doesn't say Eggman Nega's name.
- However, in the Nintendo 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, upon identifying Eggman Nega during Story Mode, Tails points out that he is Eggman's descendant from the distant future. Tails also states, "He came back in time to make trouble, but I thought Sonic and Blaze stopped him for good...", implying that Eggman Nega is actually both a time and dimension traveler.
- Even in Mystic Haunt Zone before fighting the Egg Phantom, Sonic and Tails encounter Eggman Nega but they assume it was "Eggman" being possessed by a ghost.
- Eggman Nega has a different pattern of speech to Eggman. In Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Frosty says Eggman doesn't talk the way Nega does. Nega also has a distinctive laugh ('hee hee hee' as opposed to Dr. Eggman's 'ho ho ho') which reveals his identity, as seen in Sonic Rivals 2 before Zone 5 boss fight when Shadow sees past his disguise when he laughs.
- In Sonic Rush, both Eggman Nega and Dr. Eggman used their machines to fight Sonic and Blaze in a boss battle. However Eggman Nega's machines, even though they're the same as Dr. Eggman's original machines, are different colors compared to Dr. Eggman's.
- Eggman Nega's costume bears some similarities to one of Dr. Eggman's prototype designs.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Eggman Nega. Sega. Retrieved on 14 October 2016.
- ↑ Sonic Rush Adventure, during Eggman Nega's speech before Blaze and Sonic's battle against the Egg Wizard in Deep Core.
- ↑ Sonic Boom 2012---SonicKamehameha---. YouTube (17 July 2012). Retrieved on 21 December 2015. “Speaker: Iizuka-san, can you please clear out the story of Silver, Blaze and Eggman Nega? Also to mention, in the future, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rivals and Sonic 2006 they all know each other, but in Sonic Colors, they never met. / Takashi Iizuka (as translated by the Q&A board's translator): So everyone probably know this, but Silver and Eggman Nega are from the future, and Blaze is from an alternate dimension. But in 2006, basically what happens is that everyone had like amnesia.”
- ↑ 
- ↑ GHZ Interviews: Taylor Miller-Producer Sonic Rivals 2. GHZ (2008). Retrieved on 2 December 2016. “Interviewer: In Sonic Rush, Eggman-Nega came from another dimension. However, in Sonic Rivals 1, he is said to come from the future. Is the Eggman-Nega from Rivals 1 the same character that appeared in Sonic Rush? If he is the same character, then why do Rivals and Rush portray him as coming from two different places? As you said in our previous interview, you let Sega handle the story for the game, but we thought Sega might have given you some information about this apparent contradiction between Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rush. / Taylor Miller: I have included SEGA’s response: “Although there may have been some differences in the story setting for both Sonic Rivals 1 and Sonic Rush, Eggman- Nega is same character. He comes from another dimension, and the reference of time was to place the mystery of the cards in context with the story. We really hadn’t effectively changed where Eggman-Nega comes from, just added another dimension if you like to the overall storyline.””
|Heroes||Sonic | Tails | Amy | Knuckles | Vector | Espio | Charmy | Mighty | Big | Tikal | Cream | Emerl | Blaze | Omochao | Silver|
|Antiheroes||Chaos | Gamma | Shadow | Rouge | Omega | Jet | Wave | Storm|
|Villains||Eggman | Metal Sonic | Eggrobo | Fang | Eggman Nega | ZERO|
|Other||Mecha Sonic | Gerald | Froggy | Cheese | Vanilla|