- For the playable stage, see Eggmanland (stage). For other capitals and locations controlled by Doctor Eggman, see Eggman Empire.
The national flag of Eggmanland
Unnamed island on Earth's northern hemisphere
Eggmanland (エッグマンランド?) is a Town Stage that appears in the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 version of Sonic Unleashed. In the PlayStation 2/Wii version, however, it only appeared during cutscenes. It is Dr. Eggman's utopia and dreamland, created from the dark energy of Dark Gaia. It is a dark, hi-tech, amusement park-like base founded over the last Gaia Temple and is located on top of an entrance to the Earth's core. Sonic the Hedgehog and Chip visited Eggmanland in order to restore the seventh Chaos Emerald its energy and a broken continent of the planet back into its place after Dark Gaia's awakening.
Eggmanland appears in both the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 version and PlayStation 3/Nintendo Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, where it is first seen in the opening cutscene before the player begins the stage of the same name.
In the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 version of Sonic Unleashed, Eggmanland is also a Town Stage that the player can enter after defeating Perfect Dark Gaia and clearing the game. Unlike most other Town Stages in the game, Eggmanland serves as both its Town Stage and Entrance Stage, where the player can both access its Action Stage and Boss Gates, and as well talk with townspeople and buy from shops.
The foundation for Eggmanland was laid during the beginning of Sonic Unleashed where Dr. Eggman schemed to harness the limitless energies of Dark Gaia to realize it. When the Earth was shattered by Dark Gaia when Eggman awoke it, Eggmanland was being built by a construction system powered by Dark Gaia's energies on a lone continent that had been torn off the Earth's mantle during the shattering. However, due to Dark Gaia dispersing across the globe once it awoke, the construction of Eggmanland was significantly behind the projected timetable. Eggman, however, devised a machine that attached Dark Gaia's fragments, Dark Gaia's Minions, to his location, which sped up the construction of Eggmanland.
At the time Sonic the Hedgehog and Chip had restored Earth's sixth continent, Eggmanland was completed. Soon after, Sonic and Chip arrived in Eggmanland in the Tornado-1 to find the final Gaia Temple and fully restore the planet. There, Eggman welcome the duo over the speakers while Sonic and Chip took some pictures, before the doctor challenged Sonic to come and get him, much to Sonic's bemusement. As Chip sensed that the Gaia Temple was below Eggmanland, Sonic decided to tear it down to get there.
Eventually, Sonic and Chip reached the Gaia Temple at the bottom of Eggmanland, where they restored the continent Eggmanland stood on and afterwards both defeated Eggman and put Dark Gaia to rest. The state of Eggmanland afterwards is unknown, though it most likely collapsed in on itself when the hole leading to the Earth's core that it was build upon was opened.
- There is an error in the citizen descriptions, saying that EF-MD1991 is the shopkeeper, when actually, it is EF-DC1998.
- Eggman has attempted to build Eggmanland numerous times in most games but has only accomplished this goal once in Sonic Unleashed.
- In Sonic Adventure, as Eggman preferred to refer to himself as Robotnik, his ambition was to build Robotnikland, but in modern games today he refers to himself as Dr. Eggman and wants to build Eggmanland. This is also the case in the Japanese dub.
- As a bit of an inside joke, the three Egg Fighter citizens are named after abbreviations of three key game consoles (the Mega Drive (Genesis in the US), Dreamcast and Xbox 360/PS3) and the years in which their first Sonic games were released:
- This stage appears in Sonic Generations as a boss stage for the Egg Dragoon.
- When first seeing Eggmanland, Sonic comments that he will never understand Eggman's taste, due to the bizarre designs.
- Also, after the pre-level cutscene, the level immediately starts and the HUB world and is only accessible after finishing the final boss.
- Eggmanland's facade is similar to the facade of Luna Park Sydney in Austrailia.
- In the HD version, after defeating the final boss and returning to the World Map, the last continent of the planet where Eggmanland is located at is not restored back into place. The PS2/Wii version has the continent restored back into place.
|Eggmanland Entrance||Hideaki Kobayashi||2:18|