- For other subjects named "Emerald", see Emerald.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Emerald Hill Zone (エメラルドヒル Emerarudo Hiru?, lit. "Emerald Hill") is the first Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It is a tropical paradise on the shores of West Side Island. Although Emerald Hill Zone is not visited by Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends quite as often as with Green Hill Zone, the Zone remains nonetheless a frequently recurring locale within the super-speedy hedgehog's adventures. As with most other Zones in this game, Emerald Hill Zone consists of two standard Acts with a boss fight at the end of Act 2.
Plains of verdant grass and beautiful beaches draw instant comparisons with South Island's Green Hill Zone, but Emerald Hill Zone has a character all of its own (only small parts of the soil have checkered pattern, for one). The level is a grassy, green Zone with plenty of easy obstacles and secret passageways. Idyllic waterfalls cascade amidst the tropical meadows and the coconut palms of West Side Island rise amidst natural gardens of red and pink flowers. Wooden bridges and ring-filled Mobius strips are the only signs of artificial intrusion, aside from Dr. Robotnik's retracting spike beds and Badniks.
It is possible to obtain all seven Chaos Emeralds in both Acts; there are three Star Posts in the first Act and five Star Posts in Act 2. While this requires time and extensive traveling of the Zone to regain Rings, it is possible to reach Dr. Robotnik the first time as Super Sonic.
The first boss in the game is Dr. Robotnik in a drill car, which he docks the helicopter-bladed Eggman Mobile to. This is not very challenging as it is easy to dodge his attacks and jump on him. After the seventh hit, Robotnik will fire his drill like a missile; jump over the projectile to deliver the final hit.
Other game appearanes
Sonic Drift 2
Emerald Hill also appears as a racecourse in Sonic Drift 2 for the Sega Game Gear. This Zone (as "Emerald Hill 1") is the very first race in the game, before Hill Top 1 in the Purple Grand Prix; the racers re-enter the region during the White Grand Prix, where "Emerald Hill 2" is the sixth and final track, coming after Mystic Cave. As with most other racetracks in the second Chaos Grand Prix, the player has to complete three laps of the track to proceed, and the fastest racer gets a Chaos Emerald.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, the Emerald Hill Zone is the home of Sonic the Hedgehog and the setting of many stories. A large number of Mobians, known as the Emerald Hill Folk, live in the Emerald Hill Zone (until they temporarily relocated to the Floating Island).
In this media, the Emerald Hill Zone on South Island, along with the other "Hill Zones" like the Green Hill Zone (This is presumably to remove continuity errors in the early issues of the series, in which the Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone were used almost interchangeably).
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Emerald Hill Zone is a location that appeared on Mobius during Operation: Clean Sweep, where Dr. Eggman reshaped reality with the Genesis Wave. After the Multiverse was altered by the Super Genesis Wave, the Emerald Hill Zone became a permanent part of Sonic's World.
- In the Simon Wai prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Emerald Hill Zone was referred to as "Green Hill Zone."
- This Zone has eight Star Posts (three in Act 1, five in Act 2), meaning that all seven Chaos Emeralds can be earned in this Zone.
- In the Sonic Jam strategy guide, Yuji Naka said that Emerald Hill Zone got its name from a town called Emerald Hill just south of San Francisco. The team had noticed the name on a location test and decided to use it. The neighborhood is in fact referred to in the plural as Emerald Hills, and is part of a larger area called Emerald Lake Hills.
- A remix of Emerald Hill Zone's music appears as one of the selectable songs in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS version).
- The music for Emerald Hill Zone is available in the Green Hill Zone stage of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- The shirt company Bustedtees made an Emerald Hill Zone shirt.
- Emerald Hill Zone is the first Zone in the Sonic franchise to use corkscrew loops, a staple of the series.
- The two-player music for this Zone is often thought to be the theme for Wood Zone, a scrapped Zone. However, no theme was ever composed for it before it got scrapped.
- In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog pilot, Robotnik's minions are shown chasing Sonic through what appears to be the Emerald Hill Zone.
- In Sonic Advance, there is a remix of the two-player music of Emerald Hill Zone.
- Emerald Hill Zone and Hill Top Zone both use the same assets, and as such, Emerald Hill Zone has unused lava pits.
- In SonicDOOM, one of many storylines for the canceled Sonic X-Treme game, the Castle of Light (home of the Boobowski family) is located in Emerald Hill Zone.
- The background music for Emerald Hill Zone sounds similar to Green Hill Zone's.
- The Training Area in Tails' Skypatrol bears a strong resemblance to the Emerald Hill Zone. However, it is unconfirmed if these places are the one and the same.
|Emerald Hill Zone||2:25||Masato Nakamura|
|Emerald Hill Zone (2-Player)||1:34||Masato Nakamura|
- The Sonic 2 (Mega Drive) page at The GHZ.