|This location exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic the Comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Emerald Hill Zone is a location that appears in Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions. It is a peaceful and serene greenland Zone found on South Island and one of the major locales on Mobius. It is the home to a variety of Mobians, Sonic the Hedgehog and the Freedom Fighters, and is a frequent target of Dr. Robotnik.
The Emerald Hill Zone is quite picturesque, dominated by lush, green fields, sparkling lakes and falls and home to a friendly and peaceful community. Palm trees are a common flora in this Zone. Similarly, the stone loop-formations that are found across Mobius are found in abundance here. Even some non-Mobians have heard stories about the Emerald Hill Zone's beauty, spurring wild tales that the fields are paved with real emeralds. The villagers that live here are known as the Emerald Hill Folk.
Working from an underground laboratory beneath the Emerald Hill Zone, Dr. Ovi Kintobor conduct his research in peace to rid planet Mobius of all evil using his Retro-Orbital Chaos Compressor to absorb all the negative energy from the planet. After Kintobor's tragic transformation into Dr. Ivo Robotnik, his lab was abandoned. It was soon restored by Sonic the Hedgehog and Porker Lewis and became his allies' base of operations during Robotnik's attempts to conquer the world.
Ruled by Robotnik
Eventually, Robotnik got a victory over Sonic by sending him six months into the future and in that time, he conquered the Emerald Hill Zone and turned it into a labor camp. Upon Sonic's return though, he and his allies liberated the Emerald Hill Zone, returning it to its more friendly self. Sonic and his fellow rebels, the Freedom Fighters remained in the Zone for another year, hiding in Kintobor's laboratory until Robotnik learned of its whereabouts and destroyed it.
After the Death Egg II crisis had been averted, Robotnik became fixated on wiping out the Emerald Hill Zone as revenge. With this in mind, the Freedom Fighters struck a deal with Knuckles the Echidna to relocate the zone's population to the Floating Island. The island was lowered to Mobius's surface and the Emerald Hill folk travelled by boat to the island's Mushroom Hill Zone. They remained in hiding there for some time, leaving their home zone empty (with the exception of Tekno the Canary's secret laboratory). Robotnik and Grimer learned of this exodus soon after and decided to concentrate some of his efforts on other Zones. Some time later, a dragon was found living underneath the Zone, having hibernating for hundreds of years until it was awoken prematurely by the Freedom Fighters and left.
Post-Ruled by Robotnik
When Dr. Robotnik was deposed, the Emerald Hill Zone was repopulated by its former occupants. Rebuilding was minimal since Robotnik had left the zone alone after its inhabitants had fled to the Floating Island. When Emerald Hill was repopulated, the Freedom Fighters built themselves a new base there, this time in the village for all to see, since their services were still required since Robotnik was still at large.
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #25, "Prologue: Once Upon a Planet..."
- ↑ Sonic the Summer Special (1994), Tails: The Profile
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic the Comic #8, "The Origin of Sonic"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #26, "Part 1: Kintobor spelled backwards is..."
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #6, "Attack on the Death Egg"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #27, "Part 2: A Tale of Tails"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #9, "Back to Reality"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #21, "Girl Trouble, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #37, "Robotnik's Revenge, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #38, "Robotnik's Revenge, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #53, "Disaster! Part 3"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Sonic the Comic #94, "The Monster Wakes, Part 1"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Sonic the Comic #57 and #58, "The Rampage of Mekanik"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #95, "The Monster Wakes, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #100, "The Final Victory"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #104, "Flickies' Island, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #108, "The Evil Empire, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #117, "Best of Enemies, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #118, "Best of Enemies, Part 3"
- Emerald Hill Zone at the Sonic the Comic Wiki