- You may be looking for the Action Stage on this continent, Skyscraper Scamper.
The national flag of Empire City
Unnamed coast on Earth's southern hemisphere
Empire City is a high-rise metropolis based off the hustling and bustling city of New York, also retaining features from other famous cities in the U.S. such as the fountain in the middle of the hub world that bears a resemblance to the Buckingham Fountain in Chicago. Endless highways, mile-high skyscrapers, and urban surroundings characterize Empire City, with bridges similar to the George Washington Bridge and the Verrazano Bridge as well as tunnels similar to the Lincoln Tunnel making it a near mirror image to the Big Apple.
Though Empire City is completely absent in the Wii and PS2 version, street signs in the day and night levels do reveal buildings and roads there.
- S. Shadow Avenue
- Rouge Street
- E-123 Omega Road
- Blaze Road
- Silver Beach
- Seaside Park
- Chao Garden
- West Park
- Chao Beans
- Soleanna Hotel
- Pachacamac Parking
Appearances in Other Media
Empire City is mentioned in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and spin-offs. In this media, it is a Human/Overlander settlement in Eurish and a city-state of the United Federation.
- Empire City appears to be based on different cities in the U.S like Chicago, Seattle and New York City, especially considering the fact that New York City is nicknamed "The Empire City" after New York State's nickname of "The Empire State." Also, the flag looks much like the United States' flag, except the current U.S. flag has fifty stars while the one for Empire City has only twelve, the U.S. flag has 13 stripes while the Empire City flag has 17, and the blue area covers an entire side of the Empire City flag while the U.S. flag only has a corner covered by blue.
- This is the only location in Sonic Unleashed to not appear in the Wii/PS2 version, indicating that the 360/PS3 version is the "complete" version, as it has all locations stated.
- Because they both have locations based upon New York City, it is possible that Empire City is another part of Station Square from Sonic Adventure. Furthermore, due to the design of Empire City's flag originating from the United States' flag, one could speculate that Empire City is part of the United Federation, the Sonic universe' equivalent of the U.S., seen in Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Also, certain parts of the acts share a slight resemblance to Crisis City from Sonic 06. For one, they both include giant skyscrapers, there is a loop similar to one in Crisis City, and they both include seemingly endless highways. (The one in Crisis City has Sonic outrunning a tornado, and the highway in Empire City is guarded by an Interceptor.)
- It could be possible that Empire City is located at the United Federation.
- Empire City is one of the two locations in Sonic Unleashed, which does not have a Gaia Temple, the other being Apotos.
|Sonic Unleashed Locations|
|Adabat | Apotos | Chun-nan | Eggmanland | Empire City | Holoska | Mazuri | Shamar | Spagonia|