|Espio the Chameleon|
Espio is the serious and focused member of the Chaotix
|Also known as||
Chameleon (used once by Silver)
110 cm (3' 7")
36 kg (79.3 lb)
Gold (originally black until redesigned for Sonic Heroes)
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
|Moves and techniques|
Espio the Chameleon (エスピオ・ザ・カメレオン Esupio za Kamereon?) is a fictional, anthropomorphic chameleon from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Espio is an expert ninja and a part of the Chaotix Detective Agency. There, he works together with Vector the Crocodile and Charmy Bee to solve whatever cases they are given, where he puts his skills to good use. While initially a hothead when introduced, Espio has since become a calm, serious and disciplined person whose wariness and soulful character makes him a vital member of his team and balances out the goofiness of his friends.
Espio first appeared in Knuckles' Chaotix (simply Chaotix in Japan) for the Sega 32X. The Japanese manual states that Espio, a detective, went to investigate the mysterious island that has emerged from the sea.
In both cases, he is attacked by Doctor Robotnik and Metal Sonic who try to capture him. Knuckles saves him from the two, and Espio automatically becomes his partner character for the training stage. After this, Espio can be chosen in the "Combi Confiner" prior to stages. Espio can walk on walls and ceilings, and uses his own Whirl Attack instead of the common Spin Attack.
Sonic the FightersEdit
Espio appears as one of eight playable fighters in the arcade game Sonic the Fighters (Sonic Championship in Japan). In the story, Espio is one of the eight characters who try to collect the eight Chaos Emeralds in order to travel into space and destroy Eggman's Death Egg II. Espio is the fourth character to fight in story mode, and his stage is Mushroom Hill, a part of Angel Island that appeared in Sonic & Knuckles.
In the game, Espio is a medium-strong fighter, and his special abilities include using his Whirl Attack and attacking with his long tongue.
Sonic HeroesEditThe Chaotix made a new appearance in Sonic Heroes, where Espio, Vector the Crocodile and Charmy Bee have formed a detective agency (previously, only Espio was described as "a detective"). They are contacted by an anonymous client via a walkie-talkie that was delivered to them. Espio doesn't entirely trust the voice, but Vector and Charmy quickly go help after they are promised a reward, with Espio tagging along anyway. In the game, Espio is the speed member of Team Chaotix, meaning he can run quicker than the others, and creates small whirlwinds for various purposes. Unlike the speed members of the other three teams, Espio can turn invisible, throw large shurikens (ninja stars) and stick to walls. He also had a run-in with Team Dark and Team Rose, the former due to Rouge believing them to be after Eggman's treasure and their likewise believing that Team Dark were affiliated with Eggman, and the latter due to a misunderstanding that caused Cream to think they had abducted Chocola the Chao.
At the end of their story, the client is rescued from Eggman's base, and turns out to be Doctor Eggman himself, to Espio's surprise. Eggman reveals that he had been framed and captured by the evil Metal Sonic, who has gathered everyone's data and then transforms into Metal Madness shortly after. Team Chaotix help out by giving Sonic the Chaos Emeralds they had collected throughout the game, with Espio giving him the red one. Team Chaotix then stalls Metal Madness in order to buy time for Sonic to turn into his Super State, and for Tails and Knuckles to obtain Super Shields. At the end of the game, Eggman tries to sneak away, but the Chaotix chase after to collect their promised reward.
Shadow the HedgehogEdit
In Shadow the Hedgehog, the Chaotix work on a new mission. He appears in the cutscene prior to the Mad Matrix stage, in which he and Shadow the Hedgehog hack into the cyberspace of Eggman's computer system. The player can then choose whether or not to help Espio retrieve encrypted data from the computer, with Espio being a "partner" character in the stage. In the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions of the game, the second controller can be used to control Espio, who attacks with punch combos and homing attacks.
In the game's ending, the Chaotix are all on the Space Colony ARK. Vector and Charmy are putting pressure on Espio to hurry to recover data from the computers. Espio replies "Easier said than done, who signed me up for this anyway?" At this, Charmy gets a little impatient and he kicks the computers which activates an old video created by Gerald Robotnik for Shadow to see. When Shadow sees it, he gains new strength and defeats the main villain, Black Doom, as Super Shadow.
Sonic Rivals 2Edit
Espio appears as Silver the Hedgehog's partner as they both investigate the case of the missing Chao. Although they don't particularly see eye-to-eye the two eventually set aside their differences and work together.
Espio appears in the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors, having been sent on a job with his team to investigate Eggman's theme park. Sonic and Tails run into him, as well as the other Chaotix, in Planet Wisp. The name "Espio" is also one of the default file names on the Wii version.
Espio appears in the console version of Sonic Generations, where he, with the rest of Team Chaotix, were celebrating Sonic's birthday party until the Time Eater captures Espio and ends up in Seaside Hill, where he is a colorless, motionless form. If Classic Sonic rescues Espio, he thanks and tells him to "beware" because he saw only "darkness" within the "soul" of the Time Eater. If Modern Sonic rescues him, Espio gives him advice to be aware of foes since he got captured. He then does what the other characters do, which is talk to you or give you hints about where a Red Ring is located. At the Center of Time, Espio encourages both Sonics, alongside Charmy and Vector. After the battle, Espio and the others went back to the right time and continue celebrating.
Espio also appears in two Challenge Acts. In his Speed Highway mission, Modern Sonic fights the chameleon and uses spotlights to expose his camouflage. In his Seaside Hill mission, Espio grapples and swings hooks with Classic Sonic to help him reach high edges.
Other Game Appearances and CameosEdit
Espio appears as two collectible cards in Sonic Rivals.
Sonic and the Black KnightEdit
Espio never actually appears in Sonic and the Black Knight, but one of the default file names given is "Espio".
Mario and Sonic SeriesEdit
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter GamesEdit
Espio appears once again as a referee in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. He is seen either standing next to the starting gate or firing a starting pistol. In the DS version, Espio will tell you how many white stones are left on Winter Island (Frostown, Polastraits, Icepeak). You can also unlock an Espio outfit that your Mii can wear.
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic GamesEdit
Espio appears as one of the referees in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. It may have been that he was once supposed to be playable, but no evidence to that has been provided to date. He is playable to some extent through hacks of the game.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic GamesEdit
PersonalityEditEspio, unlike the majority of the Sonic characters, is very serious, calm, wise and disciplined, but also opinionated and somewhat arrogant at times. Despite this fact, he is usually eager to find danger to flex and polish his ninja skills. He is seen as a ninja-based character; his battle poses and shuriken stars support that portrayal. In the TV show Sonic X, when he was discovered by Amy while trying to sneak aboard the Blue Typhoon, he leaves in shame (before getting beaten up by being mistaken for Metarex). In Sonic Heroes, he plays the shamisen in the Chaotix's Team Blast, "Chaotix Recital". According to the Japanese Chaotix game manual, Espio especially dislikes Dr. Eggman, although it's not stated precisely why. During a cutscene in Sonic Heroes, the usually civil and soft-spoken chameleon even threatened the doctor's life. He is also able to see through Eggman's tricks very easily in Shadow the Hedgehog, and tells Shadow to destroy the villain.
In Knuckles' Chaotix Espio had the ability to stick and walk along walls as if he was walking on the floor, and possessed his own unique Spin Jump, Spin Attack, and Spin Dash abilities known as the "whirling attack" (known as "Espio spin" in Sonic the Fighters) in which he would spin horizontally as opposed to vertically.
In Sonic the Fighters Espio displayed the ability to stretch his tongue and launch it at opponents.
In Sonic Heroes, Espio was reintroduced as a ninja and boosted new skills, such as whirlwind attack known as Leaf Swirl and the ability to throw large shuriken. Espio also displayed the unique ability to stick to walls whilst performing the Triangle Jump. It was also revealed that Espio could play the shamisen, through Team Chaotix's Team Blast: Chaotix Recital. The opening of Team Chaotix's story also shows that Espio is skilled in using Kunai as throwing weapons; as he was able to use one to nail an airborne package to a wall. As a Speed Type character, Espio is quite fast, and can perform the Homing Attack, Rocket Accel, and the aforementioned Triangle Jump.
Being a chameleon, Espio most prominent ability is to render his skin to match the environment, which makes him completely invisible. Debuting in Sonic Heroes, Espio could use the Leaf Swirl to turn invisible and remain completely undetected by enemies and lasers, allowing him to pass through areas that would be otherwise inaccessible. Espio can remain invisible for as long as he pleases, but his invisibility will be removed if he takes damage, or performs the Leaf Swirl again.
Espio could also render himself invisible as part of his Signature Move, Chroma Camo, in Sonic Rivals 2. Whilst using Chroma Camo, Espio is undetectable and cannot be hit by powerups as well as gaining a small speed boost. The ability lasts until all energy in the Signature Meter runs out.
As a ninja, Espio has displayed some skill at Ninjutsu; this is largely helped by his ability to turn himself invisible, but is also shown through martial arts, and his proficiency with weaponry and equipment, such as Shuriken and Kunai.
His main weakness is claustrophobia; he's a bit of a showoff, and a small blunder such as a sneeze can render him visible.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- E-123 Omega
- Amy Rose
- Silver the Hedgehog
Appearances In Other MediaEdit
Espio appeared with Team Chaotix in the anime Sonic X. Along with Vector and Charmy, Espio played a minor role in season 2, only appearing in Episode 39 to help find Cream when Chaotix was hired by Vanilla, Cream's mother (though in the end, it is Sonic who unites the two). In this episode Espio along with Vector and Charmy broke the proverbial fourth-wall by introducing themselves to the audience (Charmy mostly since he begged for more time to introduce himself). They play a larger role in Season 3, first appearing to bring Chris supplies from his parents. The second time Espio appears, he reluctantly helps Vector and Charmy help Tails get Cosmo, a girl he likes, to like him back, and after that appears with the others to help fight the Metarex. Espio states in his first appearance that he is the brains behind the Chaotix (to which Charmy claims that he's "Super Full of Himself"), when in the Sonic Heroes instruction manual, Vector is stated to be the brains. In the anime he is sometimes seen as a comic relief character as he has been hit (unintentionally) by Amy's hammer, woken up by Vector when he had pepper poured on him and was discovered in a humiliating way shortly before being clobbered.
Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie)Edit
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comics, Espio is a bonafide hothead, which causes his friend Charmy to constantly remind him of his manners. It can be noted that this appearance has green eyes instead of golden ones. This incarnation of the character differs significantly from the Espio portrayed in the games and Sonic X.
Sonic the ComicEdit
In Sonic the Comic, Espio is a member of the Chaotix Crew and a native of the Special Zone. He is a friendly (or sometimes not so friendly) rival to Mighty and has an extremely short temper. The two of them will end up clashing and arguing who's the best on almost any subject, to the extent of demanding a defeated enemy says which of them had punched him the hardest. This incarnation of the character differs significantly from the Espio portrayed in the games and Sonic X.
Espio's profile in Knuckles Knock-Out Special says that he was once a prisoner in Robotnik's Combi Machine, and that he has a personal grudge against Robotnik for this. However, this is never mentioned in any strip in the series, and may not be canon.
- Sonic Heroes - present: Yuuki Masuda
- Sonic Heroes: Bill Corkery
- Shadow the Hedgehog - Sonic Rivals 2: David Willis
- Sonic Colors - present: Troy Baker
For more, see: Espio the Chameleon/Artwork Gallery
- Espio's name is thought to either have been derived from the word "espionage", meaning spying; it also may be a reference to the Spanish and Portuguese word "espío" (literally meaning "I spy").
- Espio is the only member of Team Chaotix to appear in a game released between Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic Heroes.
- Espio is the second-most used member of Team Chaotix. He has less game appearances than Vector but more than Charmy.
- In Sonic Heroes, Espio is the only speed formation character whose shoes are not partly red.
- Throughout the series, Espio's color gradually lightens from a dark purple to a light pinkish purple.
- Strangely, in the older comics, his body is a sky blue color, but is later changed for consistency with his game appearances. However, he may possess the ability to change colors like real-life chameleons.
- This is supported in Knuckles' Chaotix, in which Espio will cycle through different colors during play.
- In the Shadow the Hedgehog boss Egg Breaker, when Shadow destroys any of Eggman's robots, Espio says, "Stop that! We can't let Eggman know we're here!" which is repeated from the previous level. However, Eggman already knows that Espio and Shadow were in his base as he is fighting them.
- In Sonic Heroes, Espio is one of the most violent characters (behind Omega), as he frequently uses death threats, particularly to Eggman.
- In Shadow the Hedgehog, Espio is one of the 5 characters to curse (the others being Shadow, Sonic, Knuckles, and the GUN Commander).
- Espio is the only playable character in Sonic Rivals 2 who did not appear in the story mode of Sonic Rivals.
- In Sonic Generations, Espio is the one of the two characters who didn't notice Sonic was different after being rescued. The other was Vector.
- Espio is capable of turning invisible by using his chameleon abilities. This shows that he can also change the color of his eyeballs, shoes and gloves.
- Espio is the only animal character in Knuckles Chaotix to have been created originally for that game, as Vector, Mighty, Charmy, and Knuckles had all appeared (or in Vector's case, was going to appear) in previous media: Knuckles (Sonic 3), Mighty (SegaSonic), Vector (Sonic 1), Charmy Bee (Sonic manga).
- "Roger that." - One of Espio's more common phrases.
- "I've got a bad feeling about this." - Espio in the first level cutscene of Sonic Heroes.
- "And you are?" - Espio when he sees Team Dark in Sonic Heroes.
- "We've been had!" - After discovering that Eggman didn't have the money to pay Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes.
- "Insulting. Your training has been a waste of time." - Getting an E rank with Espio in Sonic Heroes.
- "Impossible feat! Ultimate ninja power." Getting an A rank with Espio in Sonic Heroes.
- "Forgive me, but this is our duty." - Espio when you get any rank in the fight against Team Rose in Sonic Heroes.
- "Death to the Evil One! Prepare to die, Eggman!" - Espio after getting any rank after the fight against the Egg Hawk in Seaside Hill in Sonic Heroes.
- "Missed!" - Espio dying as leader in Sonic Heroes.
- "Behold! Ninja power!" - After getting a 2000 point combo in Sonic Heroes.
- "Spirits unite!" - After getting a certain amount of skill points in Sonic Heroes.
- "Stop it! We can't let Eggman know we're here!" - After Shadow attacks one of Eggman's Mechs in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "Damn! We've been detected!" - When Eggman discovers him and Shadow in his mainframe.
- "Hey, back off! Data retrieval isn't exactly my specialty." - Espio in Shadow the Hedgehog when Charmy and Vector are rushing him to hack into Eggman's database.
- "Easier said than done. Who signed me up for this anyway?" - Espio talking to Vector after he was being rushed to hack into a database in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "My name is Espio, a mere citizen I say not." - Espio introducing himself to Silver.
- "My skills exceed yours." - Starting a battle in Sonic Rivals 2.
- "Case closed." - Winning a race in Sonic Rivals 2 with Espio.
- "Thank you, my friend. Beware, for I have looked into the soul of our enemy and saw only darkness." - Espio after Classic Sonic rescues him at Seaside Hill in Sonic Generations.
- "It takes a mighty foe to trap a Ninja. Be on your guard, Sonic." Espio after Modern Sonic rescues him at Seaside Hill in Sonic Generations.
- "Focus your spirit." Espio cheering on Sonic in Sonic Generations.
- "There's been a misunderstanding, but I doubt he they'll listen to us." - Espio when fighting Team Dark.
- "There's gotta be a major misunderstanding here, but we can't back down now!" - Espio when fighting Team Rose.
- "Prepare yourself" - Espio when beginning to fight someone in Sonic Rivals 2
- "No holds barred!" - Sonic Heroes 2P-mode
- "What do you mean 'after all'?" - Sonic Heroes when Vector says the final boss was a fake Eggman
- "I sense gold..." - Sonic Heroes Power Plant Missions
- Espio the Chameleon Concept: "Mobius" (Real Character Profile)