|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Actually, it's whom-ever.
— Fastidious Beaver, "The Sidekick"
Fastidious Beaver is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom series. He is an anthropomorphic beaver and the local librarian of the Village on Seaside Island, with Wild Cat as his assistant. Always caught in the local goings-on, he has a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Concept and creation
According to an interview with Bill Freiberger, Fastidious Beaver was created to be one of the characters in the roster for "The Sidekick". During one of the late rewrites of the script, the writers came up with Fastidious' personality traits which proved so funny that he was made a reoccurring character for gags.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Trying to get elected as mayor of the Unnamed Village when Mayor Fink ran for the position again, Fastidious opened the Great Mystery Race (though no one told why it had that name) in an attempt to earn the voter's favor, as he reasoned that people loved races. At one point, he even tried the course himself. When Team Sonic arrived, Fastidious insisted the reluctant group tried his race course, eventually convincing them by offering a Power Glyph as a reward. When the team won, Fastidious gave them their reward while encouraging them to vote for him.
When Sonic held try-outs for a new sidekick, Fastidious applied for the job, but was dismissed. However, when Fastidious returned to have his parking ticket validated, he was chosen as Sonic's third candidate. For his next test, Fastidious and the others candidates had to compete in a Hoverboard race. Shortly into the race however, Fastidious was knocked out, and he decided to sit the rest out.
While in the Village Center, Fastidious and the villagers were attacked by Anti-fire Bot until Sonic stopped it. When the Awardy Awards were then held, Fastidious came to the gala. There, he was accidently spilled on by Sticks in her attempt to be lady-like. At the height of the evening, he and the other guests were attacked by Eggman's robots when the doctor did not get the award. Thanks to Team Sonic though, Fastidious could return to the gala safely. While minding his own business, Fastidious would find time to visit Meh Burger and pay a visit to T.W. Barker's Circus of Wonders. He and the villagers were later caught in Dr. Eggman's invasion of the island, but when they were at the Mega's mercy, they were saved when Knuckles, whose severe case of bad luck made the Mega destroy itself, joined Eggman. Fastidious would also see a large ball of twine where he was saved from a rockslide by Sonic.
When Dr. Eggman sued Sonic for injuring him, Fastidious joined the jury meant to monitor the trial. However, when Fastidious and the jurors were ready with a verdict, Eggman turned out to be fine, thus rendering their decision moot. Later on, as Fastidious was pulling a wagon of lemons, he was nearly hit by a boulder from a Granifier Giganticus, but was saved by Sonic (losing and then regaining his lemons in the process). Fastidious later went to Meh Burger, but his indecisiveness over what to choose made Sonic choose for him. He soon after closed the library early to have chili dogs with his assistant Wild Cat. Fastidious thus declined Sonic's attempt to return a book until Eggman blew a hole in the library and let Sonic hand Fastidious the book. Some time later, Fastidious got involved in the Battle of the Buns between Chez Amy and Meh Burger. Depending on their gimmicks, Fastidious would switch between these joints until Chez Amy closed down. Finding his way to Sticks' Burrow, Fastidious joined the yard sale there. Despite Sticks' refusal, Fastidious brought what he wanted from Amy.
While Knuckles served as deputy mayor, Fastidious got him to approve permits which included construction of a new library wing and prohibition for borrowing books. Like the villagers however, Fastidious would see the consequences of Knuckles' usage power. Fastidious later joined Amy Rose's sensitivity seminar and had a good time, though his fellow participant Sonic eventually left them to retire. Later, Fastidious joined the seminar on a camping trip and found Sonic back in business upon his return. Detecting some improper grammar, Fastidious came to Tails' Work to correct Sonic, only to leave in dismissal when Sonic noticed him.
At New Year's Eve, Fastidious came to the party held in the Village Center where he let loose for once. During the party, Dr. Eggman used his Slow Motion Machine to slow down time long enough for him to beat Sonic in something before New Year, though Fastidious did not see Eggman's victory as it happened too fast for him to notice. When he later saw the news about Justin Beaver, Fastidious was unaware he was being avoided when the news mentioned a "Beaver Fever" (a reference to Justin's fame). Fastidious later witnessed another peculiar sight in the Village Center when Tails tried getting Zooey's attention with a dating dance and failed.
When the game show Bro-Down Showdown was being recorded in the Village Center, Fastidious saw the show unfold live at the set. However, he sought shelter as Obliterator Bot attacked the Village. He later followed Comedy Chimp's fan signing and photoshooting, during which Knuckles began a trash can trend. Like the rest of the Village, Fastidious would adore Knuckles during his time of fame. During the time Sonic was thought to be a thief, Fastidious joined the angry mob at the town hall where Knuckles promised them to bring in Sonic, though Sonic was later proved innocent. Fastidious later came to the Robot Battle Royale to watch the tournament, where he saw Eggman steal Tails' Hypno-bot at the end.
Becoming a Fuzzy Puppies enthusiast, Fastidious attended many meetings with his Fuzzy Puppy fan group, where he helped fellow fan Eggman practice. Fastidious soon after came to Puppy Con where he saw Eggman's fruitless agenda to steal a rare playing piece. Later, upon Team Sonic's millionth defeat of Eggman, Fastidious would salute the group before bringing them their Greatest Role Model of All Time Award. When Team Sonic then put up a play named A Rose Without Thorns, Fastidious showed up. Though he applauded the play, a storm broke out after the finale, and Fastidious took Sonic's offer to take shelter in Amy's House. As a new supervillain later arose, Fastidious would pay it no mind while having lunch.
The Big Boom
In the Village Center, Fastidious met Dr. Eggman who offered him a bridge, but refused. Fastidious soon after chose to trust Eggman by going to the Eggtoberfest, but when the rides would not work, he and an angry mob made Eggman fix the problem. Despite this, Fastidious knew the Eggtoberfest was an attempt to buy his trust, prompting Eggman to attack the villagers with his army until Team Sonic stopped it. When the Go-kart Pan-island Grand Prix shortly after arrived, Fastidious served as the competition's flag marshal. As the race ended in Sonic the Hedgehog's victory, Fastidious untimely commented on how "corny" his corn snack was when Sonic made a friendship speech, earning him some dirty looks from the heroes.
As Fastidious was heading home from the Go-kart Pan-island Grand Prix with Comedy Chimp, the two of them were strong-armed by Sticks into joining Team Sticks and help her get the Maverick Hunters, who were stranded in their dimension, to the location of the evil Sigma. Though Fastidious was less that eager, the group went to Eggman's lair, where they had Orbot and Cubot open a Genesis Portal. Fastidious and his team followed the Maverick Hunters through the portal to where Sonic's World and Earth from the year 20XX were being merged by Sigma's Unity Engines. Amidst this chaos, Fastidious and his allies joined the New Freedom Fighters and the Robot Masters of Light Labs to stop Sigma's plans. Heading for Sigma's base on the Lost Hex in the Sky Patrol, the Unified Army ran into Sigma's first line of defense: the Deadly Six and an army of Mechaniloids. As a massive fight erupted, Fastidious and Comedy Chimp fled into the Sky Patrol in terror upon Fastidious' suggestion and hid for the remainder of the battle despite Sticks' demands.
The Unified Army had no time to rest from their victory as Sigma, now the colossal "Sigma-2," attacked with his army of Mavericks. When Sticks arrived with reinforcements from the world of Street Fighter, Fastidious and Comedy Chimp remained on the Sky Patrol to watch over the Chaos Emeralds while the rest of their allies pursued the Mavericks to the various worlds they invaded. During this, Sigma attack the Sky Patrol, but with aid from Metal Sonic, Fastidious and the crew got away in an escape pod with the Emeralds before Sigma destroyed the Sky Patrol.
Reuniting with the Unified Army, now bolstered by new members from different dimensions, Fastidious helped Cream guard the Emeralds until an alternate Sonic and Mega Man needed the Emeralds. While Super Sonic and Super Armor Mega Man beat Sigma, their Genesis Portal-ravaged reality would have killed them, but Xander Payne changed history by preventing Sigma's plot from happening, thus sending Fastidious' team back home. Retaining their memories though, Fastidious and Comedy Chimp were left severely traumatized and could thus not verify Sticks' story.
Due to his profession, Fastidious is calm and formal, but also fussy and uptight. A grammar enthusiast, he has a habit of correcting the grammar of others' speech and uses the word "actually" a lot. He also has a peculiar view on books, believing they are for sitting neatly in rows on the shelves rather than being read. According to Fastidious himself, he is an immense coward, which is his biggest weakness. However, he appears to be at peace with it and does not get upset easily.
Fastidious takes little personal interest in people, like when he thought all Team Sonic's members were hedgehogs, only to tell them when they disagreed that he did not care. He also has a tendency to ruin his own good time by sticking to subjects he is not all that interested unless someone pushes him towards something better, making him a wet blanket for himself. He also has a hard time on deciding things, like what he wants to eat.
- Team Sonic
- Maverick Hunters
- New Freedom Fighters
- "My greatest weakness? Actually, it is my incredible cowardice."
- —Fastidious Beaver, "The Sidekick"
- "Actually, I'm just gonna lie down in the fetal position, and weep."
- —Fastidious Beaver, "The Sidekick"
- "Impossible! Thanks to the Organised Book Shelf Act, it is now illegal to check out books. Finally, I have protection from people who think books are for reading and not just sitting neatly in a row on the shelf."
- —Fastidious Beaver disallowing Amy to check in a book in the library, "Mayor Knuckles"
- Fastidious Beaver's role in "The Sidekick" was referenced in the unused Q-N-C's Database for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.
- A running gag throughout the Sonic Boom franchise is Fastidious trying to correct people's grammatical usage of "who" and "whom."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Boom Commentary: Ep 15 - Aim Low with guest Bill Freiberger. Youtube (28 February 2014). Retrieved on 1 March 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Gutierrez, Freddie (2 May 2015). "Late Fees". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 24. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Kellie (23 July 2014). Meet Characters in the Sonic Boom Universe. Retrieved on 24 July 2014.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Banker, Mark; Lieblich, Doug (8 November 2014). "The Sidekick". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 1. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Trueheart, Eric (15 November 2014). "Buster". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 4. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Lieblich, Doug (22 November 2014). "My Fair Sticksy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 5. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Banker, Mark; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (29 November 2014). "Double Doomsday". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 7. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Banker, Mark; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (7 February 2015). "Circus of Plunders". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 12. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Polsky, Dave (14 February 2015). "Unlucky Knuckles". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 13. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (28 February 2015). "Aim Low". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 15. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (14 March 2015). "Don't Judge Me". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 17. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Tuber, Douglas; Maile, Tim (11 April 2015). "Sleeping Giant". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 21. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (13 July 2015). "Chez Amy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 27. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Trueheart, Eric (17 July 2015). "Closed Door Policy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 31. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Harrison, Reid (20 July 2015). "Mayor Knuckles". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 32. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Moarbes, Charles-Henri (23 July 2015). "Two Good to Be True". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 35. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (8 August 2015). "New Year's Retribution". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 38. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (15 August 2015). "Battle of the Boy Bands". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 39. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (22 August 2015). "Tails' Crush". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 40. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Moarbes, Charles-Henri (29 August 2015). "Bro-Down Showdown". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 41. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (5 September 2015). "Late Night Wars". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 42. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (19 September 2015). "It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 44. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (10 October 2015). "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 47. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harisson, Reid (24 October 2015). "Role Models". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 49. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (31 October 2015). "Cabin Fever". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 50. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (7 November 2015). "Counter Productive". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 51. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sonic Boom #4, "Sticks & Stones"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #5, "Eggtoberfest!"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #6, "Everybody's Super Sonic Racing Part One"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #7, "Everybody's Super Sonic Racing Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #8, "Worlds Unite Part Two: Broken Heroes"
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Mega Man #50, "Worlds Unite Part Four: Death and Destruction"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #77, "Worlds Unite! Part Five: Everybody in the Same Boat"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #9, "Worlds Unite! Part Six: Fire in the Sky"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #274, "Worlds Unite! Part Seven: Gears and Wills"
- ↑ Mega Man #51, "Worlds Unite! Part Eight: Holes in Reality"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #78, "Worlds Unite Part Nine: Infinite Possibilities"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #10, "Worlds Unite Part Ten: Justice Across Worlds"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #275, "Worlds Unite Part Eleven: Killing the Giant"
- ↑ Mega Man #52, "Worlds Unite Part Twelve: Last Rights"
- ↑ Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.