(clockwise from top left) Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark and Team Chaotix using Fire Combination.
A fighting pose used by Power Type characters.
Fire Combination (コンビネーションアタック Konbinēshon'atakku?, lit. Combination Attack), referred to as Fighting Pose in the english version of the game manual, is a Power Formation maneuver used by Team Sonic, Team Dark, Team Rose and Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes. It is a basic fighting stance that the Power Type character from each team (Knuckles the Echidna, E-123 Omega, Big the Cat and Vector the Crocodile) assumes before performing certain combo attacks with his teammates.
In order to perform Fire Combination, the selected team must have the Power Type member as the leader, and at least one other team member must be present.
When performing Fire Combination, the Power Type member grabs the Speed Type and Fly Type teammates and carries them around. This is achieved in gameplay by holding down the Attack button. To break Fire Combination, the player must either launch the gathered teammates away or press the Attack button again. Each team's Power Type member carries his teammates in a different manner:
- Team Sonic: Knuckles grabs Sonic and Tails with his hands as they both curl into spinball form. Once grabbed, Knuckles can carry one team member on each fist, while Sonic and Tails continuously perform the Spin Attack.
- Team Dark: Omega grabs Shadow and Rouge with his metal claws as they both curl into spinball form. Once grabbed, Omega retracts his hands into his arms so that Shadow and Rouge, who are continuously performing the Spin Attack, rest in each of his wrist sockets.
- Team Rose: Big grabs Amy and Cream with his fishing rod/umbrella as they both curl into spinball form. Once grabbed, Amy and Cream sit on each of Big's shoulders while he transports them around.
- Team Chaotix: Vector grabs Espio and Charmy with his large mouth as they both curl into spinball form. Once grabbed, Vector holds both Espio and Charmy, who are continuously performing the Spin Attack, between his jaws and carries them along.
In the case of Team Sonic and Team Dark, using Fire Combination allows Knuckles and Omega to perform powerful ground-based attack combos, using their teammates as weapons to punch/slash through enemies. Also, since their teammates are performing the Spin Attack while they rest in their hands, their attack power is greatly amplified.
In the case of Team Rose and Team Chaotix, however, Fire Combination cannot be used by the Power Type character to engage in ground-based, hand-to-hand combat. Instead, Big and Vector use Fire Combination to launch their teammates as fireballs, damaging enemies and destroying obstacles from long distances.
When the Power Type character is using Fire Combination, he is able to withstand damage from an enemy without losing rings or an active Shield. However, he will get knocked back and Fire Combination will be disassembled.
- Big's Fire Combination is the only one which dose not hold team-mates in a spinball position.