Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Flicky is a creature that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are a kind of colorful Mobini bird race that live almost exclusively on the atoll called Flicky Island or the other-dimensional Flicky Zone. They are described as the most endangered aviary species on Mobius.
Flickies are small and rotund birds with three-toed feet. They have a round-shaped head with two large eyes, a soft beak and hair tuffs on their head. Their wings are medium-sized compared to their body which is usually smaller than their heads and their tail consists of delicate feathers. In terms of markings, they have a dark patch across the eyes, a differently colored belly, and at times colored cheeks.
Flickies generally come in four breeds which have their own distinct physics, colorations, and even hairstyles. However, these are not uniform looks for all Flickies as certain individuals can have their own unique plumages and hair styles. These four breeds include:
- Light blue ones with orange cheek markings and bellies, and brown eyes. They also got a tassel in their hair above the forehead.
- Green, fat ones with a big bun in the middle of the head, orange bellies and green eyes.
- Pink and purple ones with pony tails on both sides of the head and a strain of hair on their foreheads. They also got heart-shaped tan bellies and green eyes.
- Red ones with blue eyes, mullets, orange bellies, and hair strains on their forehead.
During Operation: Clean Sweep, another breed of Flicky appeared. These Flickies are similar to the light blue breed, but with a darker plumage, no orange belly, rosy cheeks and smaller tassels.
Like actual birds, the Flickies can only speak in a language consisting of chirps and tweets (which initially sounded like the name of their species). Although recognized as non-sentient, the Flickies show at times striking insight. Peaceful and friendly, Flicky birds feed on the strange bejeweled plants of their home. Most notable is the natural predators, of which they have none. Consequentially, they do not fear strangers and are very curious.
Powers and abilities
Flickies were first seen after Sonic the Hedgehog responded to a distress call on Flicky Island. Dr. Ivo Robotnik had enslaved the island, roboticized the Flickies, and was looking for a Chaos Emerald. Sonic soon found out that the Flickiebots were weak to seawater as they reverted to their flesh and blood forms when hit with it. While Tails and Rotor sprayed the robots, Sonic then tracked Robotnik to the Flicky Zone. There, Sonic engaged and trashed Robotnik's newest weapon, the Techno Bodyshell Battlesuit. Regardless, Robotnik managed to trap Sonic and locate the Chaos Emerald (on the forehead of a giant Flicky statue), but failed to realize the emerald was booby trapped. Removing the emerald caused the giant Flicky statue to come to life, and roar loudly enough to collapse the whole Zone. Sonic and Robotnik barely made it out of the Zone. Robotnik tried to keep his hand on the emerald, but a pink Flicky bit Robotnik's hand. By then, the Flicky robots had all been deroboticized, the roboticizer was destroyed, and all of the Flickies had apparently flown back into the Zone, except for one pink Flicky that watched Robotnik throw a temper tantrum for having no way off the island.
Sonic Adventure and aftermath
During the Chaos Crisis, a green Flicky was pursued by two of Dr. Eggman's E-100 Alpha robots. The Flicky eventually followed Amy Rose around, who had come to the bird's aid when it was injured. Both Amy and the Flicky were brought on board the Egg Carrier as prisoners, but were subsequently let free by Gamma, who when observing the Flicky and Amy's willingness to help each other, decided to go against his programming. Later, Amy helped the Flicky reunite with its own kind, while the Flicky contained within E-102 Gamma was later released when he was destroyed by E-123 Omega.
When reality was reset as a result of Operation: Clean Sweep, at least one Flicky appeared in the alternate reality that resulted. After being saved by Sonic, this Flicky communicated with Sally Acorn, who was able to speak its language. At Sally's request, it assisted them by serving as the power source for a Buzzbomber robot, which led them to Eggman and then attacked him in defense of its new friends.
- Note: From this point, the Flickies' history continues from their new life in the altered timeline.
- Hyper Tails is able to manifest Flicky familiars that will attack at his command, similar to his video game counterpart, Super Tails.
- In the comic books with their all-capital lettering, the Flickies' name is usually spelled with a lowercase "I" (FLiCKY), probably to avoid disastrous consequences if the uppercase L and I blur together and are mistaken for an uppercase U.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Hedgehog #171, "Data-File: Flicky Birds"
- ↑ Sonic Blast, "Sonic Blast" introduction page
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sonic Blast, "Sonic Blast"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #81, "A Rose Clucked"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #82, "Double Crossed Circuits"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #83, "Menace to Society"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #84, "Perfect Chaos"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #3, "Old Soldiers"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #226, "Genesis Part One: In the Beginning..."