This Forum has been archivedVisit Discussions
I don't want to make pointless site discussions, so could I please know if any of these are possible???
Locking a page only for certain users (maybe by considering the signature on it spam?)
Making it so that you may put polls on your watchlist.
Seeing who voted on your poll.
I have another idea (though it may still be impossible) for an efficient auto-signature program. Seperate mainspace from other stuff (like pictures as .jpg and .png), and program it into one of the letter combos. (I thought of this before BTW, when the discussion was still going. Srry. :()
Making it so you do NOT get e-mails for watchlist updates, and if you do, make so when a page is edited twice, both of them don't show up. Also, is there a way to acsess your watchlist on New Wikia Skin other than adding/deleting something.
Make it so that you don't watch every page you edit.
- If you're talking about individual Users, then no, that isn't possible.
- Polls aren't a template, so they can't be watched.
- It's impossible to see who votes on the polls since they work anonymously.
- Why do we need signatures to seperate mainspace content from other site content? It's all seperate anyway.
- Just take pages off your watchlist if you don't want to get Emails about changes to them, or go into your preferences and see if there's an option that'll allow you to disable Emails from your Watchlist.
- I think the automatic page-watch feature can also be turned off in your preferences, but I'm not sure. Lloyd the Cat"I don't die. I just go on adventures." 18:45, August 13, 2012 (UTC)
Ok, so I found a way under preferences for E-mails and page-watch.
Also, for #4, remember this forum? How if we have an auto-sig feature, signatures will appear everywhere. Well, if we seperate the pages (again, like pics), then we could program them in to a specific type of page. Also, you were answering them based on weather or not we can program them in, rather than if we can as of now, right?? TheAwesomefroggy (talk) 18:56, August 13, 2012 (UTC)
- I don't see why that's even necessary. Why go to that much length just to incorperate a program which probably wouldn't be accepted by most people here anyway? People already stated why the program shouldn't be used and I fail to see how finding a way to impliment the program into certain namespaces will change their opinions much. Lloyd the Cat"I don't die. I just go on adventures." 19:01, August 13, 2012 (UTC)
I don't think most users were opposing because of the idea, but more because it seemed impossible. If there's a way, then I think that it might garner some support. BTW, when you say go so much length, how long do you think it'd take to install.
- Which gives me all the more reason to believe that it would've been opposed for the most part anyway. There's also the fact that not everyone wants to leave their signature on certain pages all the time, and it would apply to all namespaces where signatures can be left. When I say "go to so much length", I mean why put in that much effort to get something, which I personally believe would generally be disliked, installed? Why is it such a big deal? If memory serves there's some kind of no-signature template in use, so the auto-signature thing seems redundant because of that anyway. I just don't think it's worth all the time and programming when there could be other programs and features that'd serve the Wiki better. Lloyd the Cat"I don't die. I just go on adventures." 19:13, August 13, 2012 (UTC)
- Ok, I don't see why it's so bad. Look at the opposition reasons. They're saying that it would make sigs appear everywhere. If we have a way to seperate the pages, problem solved. I don't remember any reason for opposition. Also, srry if it's asking too much. I don't want it so badly, I just want it, so I made a suggestion, as IDK how much effort would go into it, so NVM.
- That still wouldn't change the fact that it'd be forcing Users and non-users alike to leave signatures on certain pages even if they don't want to. From my point of view it'll only serve as an annoyance to many visitors and regular members. I know you want it, I wasn't trying to imply that it was something you were desperate for. I was just simply stating that, as a program I find unnecessary, I don't see the point in going through such lengths in order to make sure it works the way you want it to. And again, not all of us want to be forced to leave signatures every time we edit certain pages, so even if everything worked out okay I can still imagine a fair number of Users being annoyed by it. Lloyd the Cat"I don't die. I just go on adventures." 19:23, August 13, 2012 (UTC)