This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
This could be a good thing
Imagine: SEGA hires some god-awful voice for Sonic (Roger Craig Smith fits the bill) for a few games, then all of the Griffith Haters will finally shut up! They'll be begging to have Jason back.
- Wow. The man has not even been in a single game yet and you're already calling him 'god-awful'. Way to keep an open mind. -- Supermorff 21:40, July 16, 2010 (UTC)
Hey may not have been in a game so far, but we've heard his Sonic voice. My friend Reid is being nice when he says he "sounds like a dying cat". -SalaComMander
Well accually I like Jason, but then I told my self I'll give hima shot as Sonic, but if I don't like him I'm begging SEGA to get Jason back -Katrins
I hope that's the plan. Trust me, watch the gameplay footage of Sonic Colors, he's awful.
I already saw the gameplay, I'm just disappointed that it's not Jason anymore :( Hopefully that he's just in Sonic Colors and Sonic Free Riders, and if they change Shadow's voice I'm really gonna beg to get Jason back! But it deppens if Shadow's new voice actor is good (which I doubt) then I might be impressed MIGHT get impressed -Katrins
Want a more clear sound of our new Sonic? He's the guy who talks every time they open the door (and the first guy to talk in this whole video):
Okay first where did you find that? and second WTF??? That's Sonic's new voice?! He doesn't even sound like him! He doesn't even sound like Ryan or Jason! -Katrins
Where did I find what? The video? Secondly, yes, unfortunately, that's our new Sonic.
Yes where did you find the video, and AH MAN! I'd rather have Jason instead of him! -Katrins
I found this video by looking for it (?). I warned you he was bad. I WARNED YOU ALL!!!
Well...It looks like we have no choice, we're gonna have to live with it :/ -Katrins
Yeah, unless my original plan is what SEGA is doing. (all we can do is hope)
Believe me now, Supermoff?
- No, not really. People have complained about every new Sonic voice, this one is no different. Some will contnue to dislike him, some will get used to him, and some will like him from the start. And as this is not about this wiki page, I'm going to request that you move the whole thread to a forum. -- Supermorff 07:36, July 17, 2010 (UTC)
Seriously? Does any fiber of your being actually believe Sonic should sound like a guy in his mid 30's in denial? -SalaComMander
Dear God Bring Jason Back
Bring back Jason! Bring back Jason! If there was ever a time to boycott SEGA, it's NOW! And that's saying something from the guy who has supported practically every decision SEGA has ever made. -SalaComMander
- Why don't you start by boycotting this talk page and moving it to a forum before the thread gets deleted? -- Supermorff 07:59, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- @GM Tails Sonic and Assassin's Creed or completely different that guy just can't play SonicBlazeRocks55 12:47, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
OMG HE SOUND EVEN MORE AMERICAN! OK no offense Americans but you gotta admit, not only Rodger made him sound too mature (Since Sonic's game age is suppose to be 15, he now sounds 20 or so) but gave him such an accent it took me offguard. I mean I knew Jason Griffith gave him an American accent since 4Kids like to Americanise everything. I am bit shocked on this sudden changce since I just heard the news today and listening to his previous voices (Chris Redfield, Ezio Auditore da Firenze) it seems he is more suited for older characters than Sonic. While I am suprise some of you want Jason back, I am still stubborn to want Ryan Drummond. Not only was he the best at it so far but he loved his job as Sonic's voice (To an extend he was even willing to move home) so I think Sega should of stuck with what they got, as the saying goes "All that glitters is not gold". It's just lucky Sonic knows zombie hunters and assassins to handle the horde of angry bloodthristy fans.--Mystic Monkey sez 14:01, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
Honestly we won't know what he will actually hear him in Sonic Colors. For all we know he could actually be good. So when the time comes and if his voice for Sonic is terrible then the people can complain. I actually think Kate Higgens will make Tails sound more like a girl.
Nathbud789 14:21, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Ah yes, Kate Higgens, I'll just pop that under here... Just for seperate oppinions.--Mystic Monkey sez 14:38, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
8!7¢#y is not what I'd say Sega's behavior. More just "odd". It seems that they change the voices around 5 years so that must be how long the contracts last for before expiration. What I don't get is why can't Sega renew them like they did for Mike Pollock.--Mystic Monkey sez 15:58, July 25, 2010 (UTC)
Please let this be a sick joke. I'll give this guy a chance, I mean he seems like a big time fan, but he just doesn't have the right voice for Sonic. but if what I hear in the video is what to expect from sonic, then I'm gonna write a letter to Sega.
My God, this is the lamest discussion ever. I can't believe people are still complaining about this topic. I highly doubt that's Rodger Craig Smith in the hotel video, and even if it is who cares? Seriously. --Speeddasher
Okay guys that voice you saw was a EDITED voice the real Sonic voice is in this vid -SonicFan01The first time I heard about Sonic's change to the guy who did Chris Redfield, I thought of a steroid-pumped hedgehog jamming a pair of syringes in Eggman's neck, yelling "I've have enough of your BULL****!" Bob Jindra 07:56, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
After hearing that new video of Sonic's announcement on the Spinball ride, I must admit, a bit better than Jason. But still (and I don't mean offense to actual Americans) he still sound too American for me. I mean I know Sonic is one of the few Japanese game series that usually start there games in America but he sounds like a perpetual 1970s teenager.... from America.--Mystic Monkey sez 20:26, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
I like the new video that SonicFan01 posted! and its good sounds abit american but good! --Robbie the HedgeBoy
I believe Kate might make Tails sound more young boy than Amy Palant judging by her voice as Sakura in Naruto, if she tried to sound a bit masculine I think she may pull it off.
Then again I find it totally cheap for any young male character having to resort to a female voice actress. You cna just sorta "tell" and that takes the fun from it. They should resort to asking Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon since they have children characterds with male voice actors in there cartoons.--Mystic Monkey sez 14:38, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Whats the small problem with that though?--Mystic Monkey sez 15:06, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Puberty. Any child VA can't play children for long. Myself 123 15:08, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- True that, which makes me wonder how long Nicky Jones has until they replace Chowders voice. But there are some adult voice actors that make good kids voices. Sean Marquette a prime example or Aaron Spann who played Onion Knight in Dissidia, they were both adults who voiced children characters of there own gender.--Mystic Monkey sez 17:54, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Puberty. Any child VA can't play children for long. Myself 123 15:08, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm sorry, but what is going on? Are there some new voice actors or something? Or is this a rumor? If it is true why are we having new actors? And what happened to the old ones? And why did these new ones get hired? Cheetahfly 20:33, July 18, 2010 (UTC)
- According to SEGA, everyone except Mike Pollock (Eggman) was replaced.
Unfortunately, we may never know or understand SEGA's logic this time. -SalaComMander
- I always thought it was because of money, like maybe 4Kids are cheaper than the original cast so this cast must be even cheaper.--Mystic Monkey sez 02:05, July 19, 2010 (UTC)
That's doubtful, seeing as Ryan Drummond is a very generous man, doing commercials for some small town's local TV station and whatnot. -SalaComMander
- He maybe generousyes, also a voice doesn't make game. But it does make the character.--Mystic Monkey sez 17:38, July 20, 2010 (UTC)
And what are the games without the character? To the Sonic series, the voice is important. -SalaComMander
He doesn't sound like that as Deidara and Shinji however those voices are a bit too dark and not very suited for Sonic. Sakura's voice is also too femine for Tails.Cheetahfly 18:26, July 21, 2010 (UTC)
Mind saying that first part again? But this time, with more grammar.
Grammer Nazi much? Cheetahfly 18:38, July 21, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, yes I am.
Im not saying the Sonic games without vocals were bad, such as the first Sonic games. I just don't think Roger is best suited for Sonic's voice. Sure it's early days so I may change my mind later on in the years but from what I heard right now I just don't think it sounds as good for a character like Sonic.--Mystic Monkey sez 20:46, July 21, 2010 (UTC)
I agree it doesn't suit Sonic. It just doesn't. I really hope that the voice actress for Tails doesn't sound like Sakura or C.C. those voices wouldn't work very well. Back on the subject of Roger though again although he doesn't suit Sonic you have to give the man credit for hiding his british accent like that! Cheetahfly 01:47, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
Not really. Almost every british actor I know can/could hide their accent.
- *Remember his auditions for Knuckles* I tried I really tried. >_<
But accent asside I don't disrespect Roger for what he is doing for Sonic. Sonic needs a voice even if it's not his own. I must think Rodger is more suited for the roles of more mature characters. the virtual characters he usually plays as were not just older than Sonic but star in mature games such as blasting zombies or assasination so ofcourse a serious mature voice is needed for those roles. While Sonic takes his role as a hero seriously, he is too "free" to be that serious.--Mystic Monkey sez 07:58, July 23, 2010 (UTC)
I Dont Like This Guy Really Jason Griffth Was Like The Real Sonic Now We Got Some Resident Evil 4 Guy I Really Dont Like This Guy -SonicFan01
Was the capitalization of every word really necessary?
I've heard Kate Higgins as both Sakura Haruno and Yulie Ahtredie (Wild Arms 4) and I just don't see how Sega felt Tails should sound more feminine. -- Shelly the Hedgehog I'm not a monkey! 02:45, July 26, 2010 (UTC)
- I didnt think at first that the voice behind that obnoxious door at the Alton Towers hotel was Roger Craig Smith, because that YouTube video was uploaded in March, WAAAY before the announcement of Sonic Colors. But a Facebook message says otherwise. HOWEVER.... I think that Roger wasnt playing the role very professionally or he's just improved since then, 'cause his portrayal of the spiky blue dude at the end of this S&SASR commercial from the UK is a lot better. I can tell that its Roger in the commercial due to the fact that Sonic doesn't sound like Griffith. I never really liked Griffith anyways to be honest (I grew up with Ryan Drummond as the hedgehog). To me, Jason makes Sonic sound all high strung like Dan Green does for Knuckles, but thats just my opinion. But I got used to it, as any voice that doesnt make Sonic sound completely weird and unbearable to listen to is good enough for me. Its the gameplay that makes the game, not the voices, isn't it? But I guess the voices make the characters, and the franchise would be nothing without its lovable characters.
I know I'll get hated for this, but I think Rodger Craig Smith might actually do a good job. He sounded pretty decent in the gameplay footage. Kate Higgins, can't really say as I've never seen any of her voice acting. Also for those who are complaining Tails is voiced by a female, lots of little kids in games and cartoons have female voice actors. Mike Pollock in my oppinion was born to voice Doctor Eggman. However whether the voice acting turns out to be good or not, I'll be more concerned about things that really matter like gameplay and controls. Those two things are what really make a game. Good music can also make a game. Graphics are secondary, and in the case of Sonic story is also secondary. Voice acting in my oppinion dosen't even qualify as an issue in a game (atleast not one that can make it bad). --Speeddasher
If Roger's voice is the same when the game comes out...HE WOULD BE BETTER OFF VOICING A FREAKIN TOILET!-- User:Goldenguy511 Was here dudes 14:39, September 13, 2010 (UTC)
- Im sure he will put some consideration into it. After all while I prefer Ryan Drummond for Sonic's voice, Jason Griffiths still had some good feedback so I believe Sega would of considered it carefully. After all Rodger is well known in the gaming voice acting business unlike the previous two so Sega must have had some good cash for him.--Mystic Monkey sez 18:08, September 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Get over it! Roger is classic, fine and good! BrianHobbstheCat 06:45, September 21, 2010 (UTC)
- Sheesh, you people said the same thing when Jason replaced Ryan, now you're complaining because Roger Craig Smith replaced Jason? 188.8.131.52 18:03, August 29, 2011 (UTC)