Really? Why is there so much cursing in that game? The guns made Shadow look BA but really, why make him curse(and also make half of the guys in that game curse)? NOTE:I don't have this game but i've read about on wikipedia.--Kit the Cat
Well, i consider them swear words but hey we're all different. But i think what sonic team was doing was trying to make the game a bit more mature. Thank God they didn't make cute Tails and Charmy Bee curse!--Kit the Cat
- Sega's attempt at making it "Cool" to teh kiddies. Please try to keep said language clean in here, though. While there were a few words (IE: P***, and S***) that were removed, D***, Hell, and C*** remained. SLJCOAAATR Soul 19:30, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Whoa, Shadow was going to say s*** and p***! How did sonic team get away with these things? We got Shadow with a fully loaded gun, cursing, then we got rouge with her very mature body, and sometimes we see amy's underwear. Has sega gone mad?!--Kit the Cat
- Worst than that, Sonic was gonna say p***, when he said "hate to tick off GUN". Myself 123 19:53, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
whoa...sonic...that just creeped me out, that is worst. Why make sonic curse, the poor blue blur. Sonic doesn't need to be cussing to be cool because he's awesome already.--Kit the Cat
- Nah, Sonics too much of a goody-goody to swear, so i'm glad they changed it. Also, it was a good idea to keep iot mild, because, despite having a higher age rating, all the 'ittle 'ittle kiddies still bought it. Myself 123 20:03, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Your right about Sonic. Anyway, how did wee little kids buy Shadow the hedgehog on their own(because usually their parents buy all their stuff for them)? Should of the parents noticed that on the box there's shadow holding a huge gun and an explodation in the back, wouldn't have the parents known that that game was going to be a bit mature? And if they were completely ignorant of the boxart, should have they noticed the rating at least.--Kit the Cat
I guess so. Explains why in early april I got new sonic tee shirts, so i have 3 sonic tees.--Kit the Cat
Yeah except one day i was wearing my white one with sonic, shadow, silver on it and when we were gonig to leave P.E. some boy in my class looked at my shirt and said,"What are those things on your shirt?". Man, that made me mad, so I said,"You don't know who sonic is?". Then he when,"Oh... sonic's weird, only weirdos like him.'. I was really mad then, he knows mario but he doesn't know who the famous sonic the hedgehog is?!--Kit the Cat
I know. But to tell you the truth, sonic owns(but shadow and knuckles own more)!--Kit the Cat
- Heh. I have that tee in blue. I have a good number of Sonic clothing, though I rarely wear them. I'm not ashamed of wearing them. My friends respect that I like a couple of childish things. Actually, I even got a couple of my friens into the Sonic series. I ended up writing a fanfic trilogy with one of them.
- Back to the original topic, Sega wanted the game to seem "Cool". Little kids deem violence as "Cool". Just look at my cousins.... -_-; Anyways, the game was orignally intended to be alot worse. With the cast saying a large variety of "Crude" language, more weapons, more 'Explodys', and constant blood & core, from shooting, or just attacking a G.U.N. Soldier, or Black Arm, with the ESRB originally rating T, leaning toward M. Sega thought that such a rating would hurt them, so they down-graded it, to make it an E-10 game. This caused the games release to be post-ponned by a few months.
- As for parents, very few actually look at the rating, or even the cover of the product they're buying for their kids. They'll just buy it to get the kid to shut up, without paying attention to the content. I recently did a school report on such topic, and the effects of violent games on little kids. Once, about a year ago, I was at a ToysRus with my little cousins. I' checking out the video-game section, and this little 4, maybe 5 year old runs by. He picks up Super Mario Strikers Charged, for Wii. He then screams over to his father, waving the game, "Hey dad, is this Shadow on Playstation??!!" I couldn't help but to burst out laughing at the kid, and grab Shadow on PS2, an throw it to his dad. I then say "Careful. The game might teach your son common sense." SLJCOAAATR Soul 21:14, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Wow. A sonic game that was teen, leaning toward mature...whoa. If the game stayed the way it was intended to be sega would be in trouble and i might have not love Shadow the way i do. The last part was funny and cute but how could a kid mistake mario from the hot, awesome, BA that is Shadow. Although the kid was 4 or 5, so i could understand if he picked up the wrong game.--Kit the Cat
- If the game hadn't changed, I think our fanbase would be in an even worse state.
- Still, how can you possibly confuse Shadow holding a gun, with an explosion behind him, and Mario playing soccer (US) / football (UK)? DX SLJCOAAATR Soul 21:59, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
I'd like to point out here that Sonic DOES curse in Shadow the Hedgehog, during the second stage (if you followed the hero path), and you lose the Black Arms ship, Sonic will address this by saying (if I remember correctly) "D***, they got away!" Or something along those lines. Yoyoddd 21:55, 29 April, 2009 (UCT)
That doesn't surprise me too much. Sonic is 15, so guess he'd know a word like that. Plus he says Hell in Sonic and the secret rings. So Sonic isn't the goody-goody we all think he is.--Kit the Cat
Damn and Hell are just words, after all I heard the word related to heaven and they are not cut out, why is it that such words that relate to Hell are considerd offensive to religious type when using Heavenly words are OK despite the fact of multireligional consumers?--Mystic Monkey 12:38, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
When i wrote that i forgot that Hell could mean religious hell but still. D*** is considered a curse word in my house.--Kit the Cat
same here, only its my catchphrase in scool. (btw, i hav a red tee w/ team sonic on it. and the guys in my scool only lik silver and thats it) Dawn the Hedgehog 01:58, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
Damn means Damnation, generally condemming someone to Hell... I wonder what the opposing word for wishing someone to Heaven? Eitherway chances are that word would be freely used in media while "Damn" is not. hmm, "Anti-swears!"--Mystic Monkey 02:07, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- Dawn, i think we might have the same shirt. I got my last sonic shirt at Target and it has classic sonic on it and says Sonic the Hedgehog. Oh so beautiful. *tear*--Kit the Cat
OH MY BROTHER HAS THAT 1! AWESOME! (he lets me borrow it, well actually i take it! hahahahaha!!!!!!!!) Dawn the Hedgehog 05:12, 8 May 2009 (UTC)
- I got a Sonic doll, I sleep with it next to me in bed... thats more Amy can achieve. <.<--Mystic Monkey 22:29, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
It's amazing where my fourms go... Anyway, i want a Shadow plush (you know, to cuddle with) but i bet my parents would say i'm to old for that kind of thing.--Kit the Cat 23:07, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
- Im 21 and I still brought my Sonic plushie proudly.--Mystic Monkey 22:45, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
I want a sonic t-shirt! i have been looking for ages, but the only place i can find them is GAME and they always seem to be sold out of sizes except extra large. I hate shops in scotland sometime.... we need more... less bright pink and plasticy.Misty the fox 19:44, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
Just be glad that nobody sells a Tails Doll! Admiral Levithan, 9:06 CST, 27 Feb 2010
- I have a Tails Doll, along with a Sonic Doll adn a smaller Sonic Doll.--Mystic Monkey sez 03:34, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
I always found it strange that Shadow the Hedgehog has cursing in it, while other Sonic games don't (Or hardly ever have any at all. Even the word "damn" is a rarity in other Sonic games, assuming that the word exists in other Sonic games at all). I think it's just weird that they only made Shadow the Hedgehog like that.... Phoenix the CatThe flames reborn.... 04:04, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
I see. Well, Sonic the Hedgehog certainly is pretty unique in it's own way, but it probably made a few parents distrustful of the Sonic series now because of its cursing content XD Phoenix the CatThe flames reborn.... 04:13, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
I have a black Sonic X T-shirt, which is my favorite T-shirt. But sadly, that's really all I have in non-game Sonic memorabillia. That, and a low-grade silver Sonic plush I won at a fair/carnival/state park.--Kagimizu-Seeya 'round~ 04:22, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
I also have a black Sonic shirt, but it's not Sonic X, and I also have a little bit of other Sonic merchandise as well, including a couple of STH #200 Collector's bundles (I think that I saw an image of them somewhere in the uncategorized files section). Phoenix the CatThe flames reborn.... 04:25, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
I have a Sonic X necklace, a Sonic the Hedgehog plush doll, a Sonic X action figure, and...3 small Chaos emeralds (red, yellow and green) -- Shelly the Hedgehog I'm not a monkey! 04:31, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
My STH #220 collector's bundles has 2 Sonic and Knuckles figures in each of them, along with a copy of STH #200 itself. I haven't opened one of them yet, but IDT I will anytime soon. And I'm thinking of getting a Blaze plush doll in the future... Phoenix the CatThe flames reborn.... 04:36, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
don't worry iv got no sonic merchandice exept some sonic game's. i don't really care about the swearing in ShTH because i don't think of it as swearing and why do peaple get upset about the use of gun's in the game eggman's used so many type's of fire arm's i can't even name emSledge The Hedgehog 11:48, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
WE'RE GETTING OFF SUBJECT, PEOPLE! ChaosFreak 22:55, May 18, 2010 (UTC)
(mockingly) And nobody really cares! Sonic & Scrab Master
And I wonder why I don't like you...and I shouldn't be getting on these Forums. The people are thickheaded anyway! ChaosFreak 00:58, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
Again; nobody really cares. Sonic & Scrab Master
TheBlueBlur713 That Rankor looks SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE I just have to hug it ;> 16:32, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
Target adince was teen and young adult also that (or sonic advandced) was the first sonic game i play
They wanted to reassure fans that the Sonic series wasn't kiddie. Blacknred 19:08, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
I know this is an old game, but I got it cheap at GameStop for $9.99. Kid spent his birthday money on his favorite character, Sonic. Thanks for the cursing Sega. Thanks. You ruined something special.
Uhh... REMIND ME WHY THIS FORUM EXISTS?! (Ohmygod123 04:20, May 29, 2012 (UTC))
I just returned it to GameStop. Those ARE swear words in that context. I'm sorry some don't think they are, but they are. I find it sad. You sound dumb, btw. If I knew it had cursing, I wouldn't have bought it. Mild Language means something different to me than esrb, evidently. 10 is not old enough. Second, it is Sega that put it in there and didn't have to. Take your fanboism elsewhere.
I guess I should keep my opinions to myself. Either some admin will not like me or everyone else says I'm a fool.
FWIW, I did try and change my harsh words, but it was too late. so be it.
You can say your opinions, that's fine. If you hate the game because of the language that's ok, you're not alone in that field but blaming Sega for buying a game that you knew contained mild language is rather odd, and calling someone "dumb" and a "[fanboy]" just because he made a valid argument is rather insulting and not needed. Myself 123 02:35, May 30, 2012 (UTC)
The point is that Sega did not have to put it in the game, not that I should have read it first. My failure to run home and look and look at what the ESRB designated as mild language or to run home and lookup what cursing might be in the long running franchise of Sega's family friendly Sonic games, is quite understandable. Being angry over the surprise is also understandable. Taking issue with those who defend the issue because I didn't do more research is understandable. Am I really now required to look up every Sonic game because it might have cursing? That's sad indeed.
You are taking issue because you did not like the way I argued. You were merely pointing out that I should have researched "mild language," but I am arguing more. Sega should have not put that in there, and it does make me angry. Don't worry. I'll have to research even the smallest of things that should have been friendly. Sad. Yes, it is my negligence to trust Sega based upon their previous games. Won't happen again.
If you are a parent, then you'd understand. If you're not then you cannot have the feelings yet. It'd be like Mario and Peachy started up cussing. As far as I know they do not. Why? Because Nintendo doesn't put it in there. If they do, I'm sure someone will correct me. I had thought of the Sonic franchise the same way. I was wrong. It'd be quite bad to have all the child friendly games of Nintendo for years and then have Mario Kart 8 have Luigi cussing out Mario. Oh, but wait, it said 10+ mild language. In my mind, 10 is not old enough. But, wait, I should be fully educated on what that would have meant in this context. Dumb old me. I say again. Sad.
Lastly, the cosequences were to acknowledge that I did not know, that Sega should not have put it in there, sorry for your dissapointment, but I have to take it back. He's the one that wanted to take it back because it ruined the game. My fault all around. Sorry to break up the little kid's world of innocence. Don't worry. I'm sure he'll grow up bad because of my trust of Sega and outrage over what the Sonic wikia admin said.
Frankley yes, you should of, if ESRB said the game contained mild language, then you should've known it contained mild language, I don't think that even needed to be researched (what could "mild langauge" possibly mean other than the words used?). Maybe Sega shouldn't have used that language in a game featuring Sonic characters, that's not the point. Would you leave cough medicine in the reach of a small child just because you assume the bottle would have a child-proof top? I don't think so.
Furthermore the whole "if you were a parent you'd understand" card is a pathetic one to play, if I was a parent, I would still make sure that things that children use are appropriate by my standards. Being a parent isn't a qualifacation. Myself 123 14:48, May 30, 2012 (UTC)