|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Freedom Fighters are an organization that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are an organization of collective or independent militia/rebel forces that originally formed to oppose the tyranny of Dr. Ivo Robotnik. After the despot's demise, the groups continued to exist when he was replaced by another dimension's version of himself that became known as Dr. Eggman. The various Freedom Fighter groups continue to wage war on the occupying forces of the Eggman Empire. The Freedom Fighters have many various factions all over Mobius, often opposing a corresponding Dark Egg Legion chapter.
- Arctic Freedom Fighters: Defenders of the Northern Tundra.
- Chaotix: Defenders of Angel Island.
- Downunda Freedom Fighters: Defenders of Downunda.
- Mercian Freedom Fighters: Defenders of the Kingdom of Mercia whose aim is to restore Rob o' the Hedge to the throne.
- Nerb Freedom Fighters: Defenders of the Nerb Kingdom
- Sand-Blasters: Renegade Freedom Fighters. Defenders of Sand Blast City.
- Secret Freedom Fighters: Undercover Freedom Fighters formed in secret by Harvey Who and Elias Acorn to fight Ixis Naugus. Covert operations group in New Mobotropolis.
- Team Fighters: Trackers of the Death Egg Mark 2. Created following after the breakup of the Knothole Freedom Fighters.
- Team Freedom: Defenders of New Mobotropolis. Created following the breakup of the Knothole Freedom Fighters.
- Wolf Pack: Part of the Wolf Pack Nation. Defenders of Wolf Pack Nation territory in Soumerca.
- Dragon Kingdom Freedom Fighters: Defenders of the Dragon Kingdom. Destroyed by the Iron Queen through Monkey Khan.
- High Flying Freedom Fighters: Destroyed by Dr. Ivo Robotnik.
- Knothole Freedom Fighters: Defenders of Knothole Village and later New Mobotropolis. Disbanded after losing several members.
- Original Freedom Fighters: Defenders of Knothole Village. Destroyed by Dr. Ivo Robotnik and the treachery of fellow member Trey Scales.
- Robotropolis Spy Network: Stationed in Robotropolis. Destroyed by Dr. Ivo Robotnik.
- Rebel Underground: Dismantled - some members have since joined the Royal Secret Service.
- Secret Intelligence Division: Dismantled due to the reformed Royal Secret Service.
- Substitute Freedom Fighters: Dismantled - some members are retired, while others have joined other factions.
- Suppression Squad: The Knothole Freedom Fighters' counterparts from Moebius.
- Freedom Fighters of the Galaxy: The Knothole Freedom Fighters' counterparts from an alternate future of Mobius.
- Cyborg Freedom Fighters: The Knothole Freedom Fighters' counterparts from an alternate Mobius where the Freedom Fighters were Roboticized.
- Future Freedom Fighters: The current Freedom Fighters of Light Mobius.
- Dark Freedom Fighters: A Freedom Fighter group from Dark Mobius.
- Prehistoric Freedom Fighters: The Knothole Freedom Fighters' counterparts from a prehistoric Mobius.
Freedom Fighter groups typically act as individual cells, though they have sometimes worked together on missions. It has been rare for any group to have more than a dozen members. Typically, they prefer to use espionage, sabotage and guerrilla warfare. However, the Knothole Freedom Fighters and Chaotix in particular have been known to stage frontal assaults periodically, and have at times enlisted other Freedom Fighter groups in such action as well.
- The Freedom Fighter groups consist of a mixture of characters:
- The Knothole/New Mobotropolis group(s) consists of characters from the Sega games and the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series.
- The Chaotix consist of Sega characters and characters exclusive to the comic series.
- The Wolf Pack was first featured in the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon, but only its leader Lupe was distinguished as a character.
- The Secret Freedom Fighters membership includes a Sega character, an alternate version of a Sega character, two members of the Wolf Pack, and two characters exclusive to the series.
- All the other Freedom Fighter groups on Mobius Prime are made up of comic-exclusive characters, with the exception of Uncle Chuck-a carry over from the cartoon series-appearing as a member of the Robotropolis Spy Network.
- The Wolf Pack, Forty Fathom, and the Downunda Freedom Fighters are the only groups to be featured in stories unaccompanied by members of either the Knothole Freedom Fighters or the Chaotix.
- Most of the Freedom Fighter groups have an all or mostly male membership, with only one or two female members if any. The only known exceptions to this are the Knothole group, which at its largest included four female members-if one includes Nicole-and the Wolf Pack, which had six-if one includes Maria, Aerial, and Athena along with Lupe, Leeta, and Lyco.