|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Fridge Brute is an enemy that appears in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. It is a mass-produced model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient, capable of using ice-based attacks in conjunction with its massive strength.
The Fridge Brutes are tall and massive pale yellow robots with grey joints. They have a round upper torso with two light blue lenses resembling searchlights over each shoulder, which are connected to the torso by light blue cables. They also have two low-positioned arms with a round sphere with caps as their right hand and a blue-lensed cannon with a light blue cable as their left hand. They also have a thin waist with light blue lights and a cup-shaped torso with three grey legs covered in pale yellow armor. Connected to their chest by a thin neck is a blue eye with light blue sclera, a slit-like pupil and armored eyelids with an adjustable horn on top. In addition, their upper body is covered in a layer of ice.
About a millennium ago, the Fridge Brutes were created by Lyric the Last Ancient to help with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. When Lyric was imprisoned before achieving his goals, the Fridge Brutes were shut down. However, as contingency plan, Lyric left some of them behind to be found so the finders would set him free to learn the Fridge Brutes' secrets. When Lyric was released in the present, he reactivated and/or reclaimed all his Fridge Brutes to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
The Fridge Brutes are uncommon enemies that serve more or less as small minibosses. The player encounters them in Slowpoke Isle and Lyric's Lair. In gameplay, they attack by either hammering with their ice maces or shooting beams that create temporary ice patches if they hit the ground. If the player touches the Fridge Brutes' beams or ice patches, the characters not only take damage, but are also immobilize in ice, though the player can eventually break free. Additionally, they can make themselves invulnerable to damage and unfazed by attacks for a few seconds by glowing blue.
The Fridge Brutes are some of the strongest enemies in the game. In addition, they have a large amount of health. Also, their size make them impossible to be lassoed with the Enerbeam. If the player can stun them though, the player can lank the Fridge Brutes with the Enerbeam by pressing to instantly destroy them, where they will freeze themselves until they explode. When defeated, the Fridge Brutes release six Rings and a varying amount of Robot Scrap.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Fridge Brutes were subsequently scrapped.
The Fridge Brutes are basically mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. They do exhibit some traits of gloating though, occasionally standing triumphant and making movements indicating a mocking laugh. Their loyalty is also only superficial, as the Fridge Brutes are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Fridge Brutes are impressively tough robots, capable of withstanding excessive amounts of damage. Using Ancient energy as a cooling agnet, they can shoot beams with their cannon at such low temperatures that those that touch them (or their ice patches) will be frozen solid. Similarly, they can generate ice in the shape of a mace around their right hand which they can use with terrifying efficiently in close combat. They can also temporarily cloak their entire bodies in a blue force field, making them invulnerable to harm.
- The Fridge Brutes' name was not revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. However, their name is listed in an unused biography for the game.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. “As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends.”
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"
- ↑ 『ソニックトゥーン』多種多様な「破壊兵」やボスエネミー、お馴染みの敵キャラが公開 (Japanese). Inside Games (29 September 2014). Archived from the original on 1 January 2015.