|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Furnace Brute is an enemy that appears in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. It is a mass-produced model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient which is equipped with flamethrowers along with juggernaut-leveled strength.
The Furnace Brutes are tall and massive scarlet robots with cyan joints. They have a tall torso with a black stripe down its middle and a wide white tank with red and white hazards stripes horizontally on top of it. Next to their tank, they have two flaming pipes. On their round pelvis, connected to the torso by a thin black waist, they have three black legs with armor plating and cyan joints. Their arms are thin and black with cyan markings, and they have a flaming mace with black spikes for a right hand and a scarlet flamethrower for a left hand. Connected to their chest by a thin neck they have a red eye with yellow sclera, a slit-like pupil and metal eyelids.
About a millennium ago, the Furnace Brutes were built by Lyric the Last Ancient to help with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. When Lyric was imprisoned before reaching his goal, the Furnace Brutes were shut down. However, as a contingency plan, Lyric left some of them behind to be found so the finders would set him free to learn the Furnace Brutes' secrets. When Lyric was released in the present, he reactivated and/or reclaimed his Furnace Brutes to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
Filling the role of small minibosses, the Furnace Brutes are rarely fought. They are encountered in The Pit, Slowpoke Isle and Lyric's Lair. In gameplay, they attack by either hammering with their maces or temporarily creating two walls of flames which inflict damage upon touch. Additionally, they can make themselves invulnerable to damage and unfazed by attacks for a few seconds by glowing blue, though using Stomp on top of them can disable this protection.
Easily one of the strongest enemies in the game, the Furnace Brutes can deal severe damage and endure extensive amounts of damage. Also, their size make them impossible to be lassoed with the Enerbeam. If the player can stun them though, the player can lank the Furnace Brutes with the Enerbeam by pressing to instantly destroy them, where a leaking pipe on them will catch fire and sent them flying before they blow up. When defeated, the Furnace Brutes release six Rings and a varying amount of Robot Scrap.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Furnace Brutes were subsequently scrapped.
The Furnace Brutes are mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. Their loyalty is only superficial however, as the Furnace Brutes are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Furnace Brute are extremely tough and hardy robots, capable of enduring large amounts of damage and being submerged in lava without taking harm. Using a combination of an ignition system implemented into their whole body, Ancient energy and fuel, the Furnace Brutes can create powerful and long-lasting flames from their flamethrower. Their right hand is also equipped with a flaming mace which they can use with terrifying efficiently in close combat. They can also temporarily cloak their entire bodies in a blue force field, making them invulnerable to harm.
- The Furnace Brutes' name was not revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and were instead only referred to as a "Furnace". However, their name is listed in an unused biography for the game.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. “As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends.”
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"
- ↑ 『ソニックトゥーン』多種多様な「破壊兵」やボスエネミー、お馴染みの敵キャラが公開 (Japanese). Inside Games (29 September 2014). Archived from the original on 1 January 2015.