G-merl (ジーメル Jīmeru?), also known as Gemerl, is one of the main antagonists in Sonic Advance 3. He is a Gizoid created by Dr. Eggman from Emerl's data, making him a revised version of his predecessor. G-merl once aided the doctor in his attempts to stop Sonic and his friends from foiling one of his plans, but wound up betraying Eggman to cause mayhem. After his defeat, he was reprogrammed in the image of his predecessor.
G-merl bears a great deal of resemblance to (and derives his name from) Emerl, the prototype Nocturnus Clan Gizoid whose development forms the core of Sonic Battle's story, due to being built from Emerl's data. Unlike its incarnation Emerl however, G-merl has a black, yellow, and grey color scheme, blue eyes with red rims, and has several sharp fin-like objects attached to his arms, legs and head.
G-merl was created by Dr. Eggman sometime after Emerl's destruction to be the ultimate fighting robot. To create him, Eggman used Emerl's data. This supposedly gave G-merl some of Emerl's hardware and memories.
Sonic Advance 3
When Eggman broke the earth with Chaos Control to conquer each piece, G-merl tried helping Eggman prevent Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends from fixing the planet. G-merl kept intercepting the heroes, but was defeated each time and had to retreat. He would also join Eggman in his mechs, whenever the doctor confronted Sonic and his friends, only to be beaten and flee with Eggman. Eventually, G-merl made a final stance at the Altar Emerald with Eggman, but they lost once more. As Sonic and his friends restored the earth, G-merl and Eggman tried to escape when G-merl's battle damage made him unstable. He then stole the Chaos Emeralds from Sonic, which he used to transform into Ultimate G-merl. G-merl then betrayed Eggman and escaped. In space, however, G-merl was confronted by Super Sonic and Eggman who defeated him.
Reverting back to normal in a large explosion, G-merl landed on earth where his broken body flushed up on a beach. Found by Cream and Vanilla, he was taken to Tails who repaired G-merl and reprogrammed him into the kind-hearted Gizoid he was based on. G-merl soon after befriended Cream and came to live with her and Vanilla.
Initially, G-merl lacked any kind of true personality, though he would display some of Emerl's traits over time, supposedly due to containing his data. When serving Eggman, G-merl behaved as an emotionless machine and was completely obedient and unwavering loyal to the doctor. After receiving damage at Altar Emerald, however, G-merl gained a sense of free will and acted similarly to Emerl under his original programming, becoming aggressive, hostile and bend on causing destruction. After being rebuilt by Tails, G-merl became a kindhearted, gentle and supportive robot, much like Emerl near the end of his life.
Powers and abilities
Being created as the ultimate fighting robot, G-merl is built for combat. Due to also being based on Emerl's data, which is loaded with millennia worth of battle information, he presumably possesses a high level fighting skills.
G-merl possesses a jetpack on his back, allowing him to either fly through the air, perform powerful midair spin attacks or move along the ground at super speed. He is also quite durable, being able to withstand being blow up and still continue to function. Additionally, he can teleport, fire barrages of missiles, and create a red energy shield around himself.
G-merl also has the ability to "merge" with other machines and, as such, co-piloted all of Eggman's mech vehicles.
With the seven Chaos Emeralds, G-merl can assume a super transformation into a much stronger form named Ultimate G-merl. This form has four extendable arms with claw-like hands that can fire freezing energy beams and launch missiles. Its only weak spot is its blue gem, which is protected and impossible to harm unless Super Sonic charges Eggman's Egg Mobile with energy and throws him at Ultimate G-merl.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Gemerl has a personality similar to that of Shard the Metal Sonic. Much like in the game, Gemerl was originally a weapon-based android created by Dr. Eggman, but was converted to good after his betrayal of Eggman and came to live peacefully with Cream. Currently, he acts as Mobotropolis' protector during the Freedom Fighters' absences.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (formerly)
- Cream the Rabbit (formerly)
- Amy Rose (formerly)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (formerly)
- Knuckles the Echidna (formerly)
- In Sonic Battle, if Emerl's colors are set to Tails Color 1, Rouge Color 2 and E-102 Color 3, Emerl will look like G-merl.
- G-merl's artwork pose is the same pose that Emerl does in one of his Sonic Battle artworks. This is presumably to further enforce how G-merl is a copy of Emerl.
- Additionally, his fighting pose when he stands still is exactly the same as Sonic's in Sonic Battle.
- Metal Sonic 3.0 looks similar to G-merl because they share the same color palette. Coincidentally, they are both copies of other robots.
- Additionally, the multiplayer Shadow Android has the same color palette as G-merl. They are both copies of someone considered to be the ultimate being.
- G-merl's name is based off Emerl's.
- The History of Sonic the Hedgehog spells his name as Gemerl. This information is found in the trivia section for Sonic Battle.
- G-merl's theme is a remix of the theme of the Phis, and Emerl's theme (as well as excerpts from Colosseum's music) from Sonic Battle.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 (in Japanese) ソニックアドバンス3最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. July 2004. ISBN 978-4091061737.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic Advance 3 Japanese website. Retrieved on 2014-03-05. “『ソニックバトル』で登場した“エメル”のデータをもとに、Ｄｒ．エッグマンが生み出したロボット“ジーメル”が新登場！アタッチメントをつけることにより様々な機能を発揮可能。 ソニックたちを待ち受ける！”
- ↑ Sonic Advance 3 North American instruction booklet.