Gemerl (ジーメル Jīmeru?), also known as G-merl, is an Eggman mech who debuted in Sonic Advance 3 and would serve as a secondary antagonist throughout the game, second to Dr. Eggman. Based and built upon the data from Emerl, Gemerl serves as an reincarnation of the deceased Gizoid.
Gemerl bears a great deal of resemblance to (and derives his name from) Emerl, the prototype Nocturnus Clan Gizoid whose development forms the core of Sonic Battle's story, due to being build from Emerl's data. Unlike its incarnation Emerl however, Gemerl has a black, yellow, and grey color scheme and red and blue eyes and has several sharp fin-like objects attached to his arms, legs and head.
Gemerl was constructed by Dr. Eggman sometime between the events of Sonic Battle and the beginning of Sonic Advance 3. It is stated that Dr. Eggman created Gemerl from Emerl's "data", which would seem to imply that Gemerl is merely an advanced Phi robot. However, later events in the game would suggest that Gemerl incorporated some of Emerl's hardware and memories, indicating that he may in fact be a partial rebuild of the Gizoid.As Sonic and his friends fought to restore the world after Dr. Eggman split it apart with Chaos Control, Gemerl would appear on several occasions, such as in Act 3 of Sunset Hill, Toy Kingdom, and Cyber Track; and also as a miniboss in Route 99 and Altar Emerald, to intercept the heroes, but failed every time. He would also appear at Eggman's side at every of the game's bosses, as a part of Eggman's mechs.
Gemerl appears as the true final boss of the game if the player has collected all the Chaos Emeralds. After Sonic defeats the final boss, Gemerl tries recomposing himself from the damage from this battle, but then suddenly flies at Sonic and steals the Chaos Emeralds from him. The Emeralds cause Gemerl to become unstable and destructive, in much the same way as Emerl's destabilization in Sonic Battle, and he transforms into an orb shaped machine. Gemerl then betrays Eggman by throwing him at Sonic and escapes. Sonic turns into Super Sonic however and teams up with Eggman to fight Gemerl in Nonaggression.
After he is defeated, Gemerl reverts to his normal form, but disappears in the following explosion. An unknown amount of time later, Cream the Rabbit and her mother, Vanilla, find his broken body on the beach, and take him to Tails. Tails then proceeds to repair Gemerl, and seemingly manages to turn Gemerl into the peaceful robot he was created from, and remembers Cream because he is Emerl, becoming her friend and living with her. It is assumed that Gemerl still lives with Cream and Vanilla, though he never reappeared.
Powers and Abilities
Gemerl had the ability to "merge" with other machines, and as such co-piloted all of Eggman's boss vehicles. He can presumably also use the sharp fin-like objects attached to his arms, legs and head to cause damage as he performs dashing attacks.
Unlike Emerl, Gemerl often uses his jetpack, either to fly momentarily, move around the arena at speed, or to perform powerful midair spin attacks. He can also teleport, fire barrages of missiles, and create a red energy shield around himself.
As seen so far, Gemerl has not displayed Emerl's ability to copy the moves of other characters or shown any of the fighting move he had learned during Sonic Battle, possibly due to Dr. Eggman not possessing all of Emerl's data.
With the seven Chaos Emeralds, Gemerl can assume a super transformation into a much stronger orb-like robot named Ultimate Gemerl. This form has four extendable arms with claw-like hands that can fire energy beams which can freeze the opponent and launch missiles. His only weak spot is his blue gem, which is protected and impossible to harm unless Super Sonic charges Eggman's Egg Mobile with energy and throws him at Ultimate Gemerl.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (formerly)
- Cream the Rabbit (formerly)
- Amy Rose (formerly)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (formerly)
- Knuckles the Echidna (formerly)
- In Sonic Battle, if Emerl's colors are set to Tails color 1, Rouge color 2, and E-102 color 3, Emerl will look like Gemerl.
- His battle pose when he stands still is exactly the same as Sonic's in Sonic Battle. This could confirm that he contains some memory from his Emerl form. He also uses something that looks like Chaos Control at the Altar Emerald stage, meaning that he has some memories of Shadow as well.
- Metal Sonic 3.0 looks similar to Gemerl because they share the same color palette. Coincidentally, they are both copies of other robots.
- Additionally, the multiplayer Shadow Android has the same color palette as Gemerl. They are both copies of someone considered to be the ultimate life-form.
- Gemerl's artwork pose (as seen on the top of the page) is the same pose that Emerl does in one of his Sonic Battle artworks. This further shows how Gemerl is a copy of Emerl.
- Even though Gemerl is supposed to be based on Emerl's data, he is defeated very easily sometimes. This must be because he only has little data from the other fighters.
- Gemerl's named is based off Emerl's. The difference is that a "G" is added before "emerl".
- The History of Sonic the Hedgehog confirms his name to be Gemerl. This information is found in the trivia section for Sonic Battle.