|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Gemerl is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a super Gizoid built from the remains of Emerl and is a close friend of Cream and Vanilla the Rabbit.
Gemerl was created by Dr. Eggman using leftover data from the destroyed Emerl. He clashed with Sonic several times in service to Eggman, before betraying the doctor and taking on a powerful new form, which forced Eggman and Sonic to join forces against him. After being defeated, Gemerl was found and reprogrammed by Tails in the image of Emerl. Gemerl subsequently took up residence in Mobotropolis with Cream and her mother.
Shattered World Crisis
During M'egga Man's attack on Mobotropolis, Gemerl was collecting firewood when Vanilla informed him of a distress call sent by Cream. Just as the corrupted Mega Man was about to complete his mission, Gemerl showed up to put an end to his rampage. Unfortunately, M'egga Man's arsenal proved to be a greater obstacle than the android could counter, and he was defeated. Later, as Sigma's Unity Engines began merging the Sonic's World and Mega Man's World, Gemerl was called upon by Sally to help rescue civilians caught up in the events. He promptly joined Dr. Light, the Freedom Fighters, the Robot Masters, Knuckles the Echidna, the Maverick Hunters, Team Sticks, and Auto aboard the Sky Patrol in order to take the fight to Sigma. They soon assaulted the Lost Hex, only to run into an army of Mechaniloids under the leadership of the Deadly Six. Gemerl rushed right into the fight, teaming up with Big the Cat to take on Zomom, but trouble soon arose as the Zeti took control of Mega Man, X, and their fellow robots and forced them to attack their allies. To make matters worse, Gemerl also fell under the command of the aliens, and would have attacked Sally had it not been for Knuckles' intervention. Fortunately, he and the others were promptly freed by the Egg-Wily Uppity Robot Scrambler Cannon created by Eggman and Wily.
The heroes had little time to rest, however, as Sigma promptly attacked with a gigantic new robot body and an army of Time-Cloned Mavericks. Gemerl joined his weary allies in facing them, notably engaging Launch Octopus. After the Mavericks scattered to various worlds, Gemerl and his allies pursued them, while gathering additional fighters to join in the final assault against Sigma. It would eventually fall to Super Sonic and Super Armor Mega Man to defeat the Maverick leader and to Xander Payne to undo all the harm his actions had caused; as such, Gemerl was returned to Mobotropolis with no memory of the conflict.
Not long after, Gemerl escorted Cream, Cheese and Big to Castle Acorn so the Chaos Emeralds and Gaia Keys could be stored safely within its vaults. During the Hooligans' raid on Mobotropolis, Gemerl fought Metal Sonic until the Hooligans entrusted Metal with the Chaos Emeralds and Gaia Keys, with the Witchcarters preventing Gemerl from catching up with him. Cream, Cheese and Big soon rescued him and managed to make the Hooligans and Witchcarters free. Gemerl then began fighting off the invading Badnik Horde and later contacted Sally to update her on the events.
Like his previous incarnation, Gemerl wishes to enjoy a peaceful existence, and resorts to conflict only when no other options are viable.
Powers and abilities
Gemerl possesses a degree of super strength, enough to lift an entire tree with ease. He is capable of rocket-powered flight and can move at speeds nearing that of Sonic. He possesses a great deal of combat ability, can fire missiles and perform the Spin Dash.
Using the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds, Gemerl can attain a Super State.
- Freedom Fighters
- Knuckles the Echidna
- King Nigel Acorn
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Dr. Eggman (formerly)
- Eggman Empire
- Deadly Six
- Gemerl was already mentioned in Sonic the Hedgehog #257, prior to his actual appearance.
- In the games, Gemerl was constructed from the data of Emerl, a character whom Sega requested not to be used in the Archie Comics due to his incarnation in Sonic X. Since head writer Ian Flynn stated in the past that Emerl and all concepts derived from him were off-limits, Gemerl's appearance suggests that the mandate has been lifted.
- In some cases, Gemerl's name has been spelled as "G-Merl". According to Ian Flynn, he opted for the former spelling, as it more closely resembled the spelling of Emerl.
- ↑ Sonic Advance 3
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #257, "Damage Control"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #273, "Worlds Unite Part Three: Clash of the Corrupted"
- ↑ Mega Man #50, "Worlds Unite Part Four: Death and Destruction"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #77, "Worlds Unite! Part Five: Everybody in the Same Boat"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #9, "Worlds Unite! Part Six: Fire in the Sky"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #274, "Worlds Unite! Part Seven: Gears and Wills"
- ↑ Mega Man #51, "Worlds Unite! Part Eight: Holes in Reality"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #275, "Worlds Unite Part Eleven: Killing the Giant"
- ↑ Mega Man #52, "Worlds Unite Part Twelve: Last Rights"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #283, "The Mission"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #284, "Panic In The Sky Part One: The Best Laid Plans"