Amy nurses one of Dr. Eggman’s beebots back to health and adopts it as a pet.
- Ancient (Mentioned)
- Child Monkey
- Dave the Intern
- Dr. Eggman
- Gogobas (Mentioned)
- Lady Goat
- Lady Walrus
- Mayor Fink
- Mega Bot
- Mombot (Mentioned)
- Mr. Slate
- Mrs. Vandersnout
- Old Monkey
- Sheep Villager
- Team Sonic
- Wild Cat
- Sonic Boom World
At the Ancient dig site, Mr. Slate announces to a crowd of villagers (including Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks of Team Sonic) that they have uncovered the powerful Fregosi Sapphire, at which point Eggman suddenly snatches it with a claw attached to the Eggmobile, having shown up with an army of Bee Bots. As the villagers scatter, Sonic quickly grabs the Sapphire from him and runs to the peak of a mountain as Eggman fires lasers at him; he falls off, but he quickly calls Tails, who is flying his plane, on his Communicator to pick him up. Eggman continues to give chase with the Bee Bots behind him, but Amy uses a mirror to reflect his lasers into a rock, breaking it into pieces that destroy the Bee Bots. Declaring Team Sonic "buzzkills", Eggman flies off, defeated. Sonic attempts to return the Fregosi Sapphire to Mr. Slate, but he refuses, concerned about his insurance; Knuckles offers to take care of it for him.
Amy is curious about what happens to Eggman's minions after Team Sonic destroys them, and she turns around to find a scattering of Bee Bot parts (some of which Orbot and Cubot take away on a stretcher). As she walks around the leftovers, she trips over one Bee Bot that is still functional. Taking pity on it, she has Tails repair it in his workshop, but the fox goes one step beyond and gives it a personality chip. Amy is from then on responsible in maintaining its health, and the two grow closer as time passes. Eventually, she brings the Bee Bot with her when she meets up with her friends at Meh Burger, having named her "Bea". Over time, Amy starts teaching Bea tricks, including picking up a hoop.
Later, Eggman is exercising (and quickly getting tired) when Amy and Bea happen to pass by, and he recognizes his Bee Bot. Despite Amy's excuses, Eggman attempts to reclaim her using the homing device he installed, but is unable to get his wrist controller to work properly. Worried about this eventuality, Amy goes to the Gogoba Village and asks the Gogoba Chief to let her hide Bea in one of the tents; he says she can, though she fails to pick up on his attempts to guilt her. Meanwhile, at his lair, Eggman talks to customer service and finally gets his homing device to work, causing Bea to go haywire and attempt to get out of the tent. Investigating, the Gogoba Chief opens the tent flap, allowing Bea to escape.
Amy grieves over losing Bea in her house, and her friends' best attempts to cheer her up, especially getting her to look through her scrapbook filled with pictures of her and Bea, only make matters worse until Sonic (begrudgingly) attempts to get Amy to talk about her feelings; she is close to doing so when they hear explosions outside, and the team finds Eggman there, attempting to reclaim the Fregosi Sapphire (which Knuckles has lovingly named "Herman" and carries in a baby bjorn). Eggman sends his Bee Bots to attack, and Amy, concerned that Bea might be among them, stops her friends from attacking them. This allows Eggman to pin Knuckles to Amy's House and grab the Sapphire, at which point he announces his plans to install it in Mega Bot to make it invincible before flying off. Sonic orders for his team to retrieve it before that happens, but Amy decides to stay behind, saying that she does not want to see Bea hurt, something that gives Eggman the upper hand, and telling them that they can do what they have to, but she will not be part of it.
Back at his lair, Eggman installs the Fregosi Sapphire into Mega Bot, increasing its power tremendously. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Sticks arrive too late to stop him, but decide to battle Mega Bot anyway; however, the robot easily overpowers them, and they are unable to harm it. Meanwhile, at Amy's House, Amy is looking through pictures of herself and Bea in her scrapbook when she finds a picture of Bea picking up the hoop, which gives her an idea. Returning to Eggman's lair, Mega Bot is still giving the other Team Sonic members trouble when Amy shows up; Eggman takes the opportunity to taunt her and summons the Bee Bots to attack. Sonic asks how they can possibly identify Bea from all the other Bee Bots since they look the same (a statement Knuckles frowns upon), but Amy tosses her hoop into the air, and Bea breaks off from the others to catch it before lifting Amy into the air, allowing the others to destroy the remaining Bee Bots.
However, Eggman is not finished yet, ordering Mega Bot to blast Bea, which it does with ease; Amy lands on the ground relatively unharmed, but Bea is destroyed. Furious, Amy strikes Mega Bot several times with her hammer, with one of the blows dislodging the Fregosi Sapphire, a small chip of which is broken off when it hits the ground. Mega Bot is disabled, allowing Tails to tie it up with his Enerbeam and Sonic to destroy its head with a spin attack, but the team's victory is bittersweet; Amy sobs over Bea's broken body. At Tails' Workshop, the others watch as Tails repairs Bea using the broken-off piece of the Fregosi Sapphire as a makeshift power source and spraying her with magenta paint to ensure she will no longer be mistaken for other Bee Bots. Bea flies into an overjoyed Amy for a hug, flinging her into a nearby wall, at which point Tails tells her that Bea might be a little stronger thanks to the Sapphire. Amy later places a picture of the moment in her scrapbook at home (and then puts a picture of the scrapbook in another scrapbook of her favorite scrapbooks) before going out with Bea.
- Bea the Bee's size constantly changes throughout the episode. For example, when Amy holds onto Bea in midair at Eggman's lair, she appears to be near Amy's size, but at the end of the episode, she appears to be only about half Amy's size.
- Dr. Eggman mentions Mombot, despite her having not been introduced in the series at this point.
- This is because this episode was produced after "Mombot", as the episodes do not necessarily air in their production order.
- In the French version of the episode, the piano music is not heard when the gang run around Amy's house on account of the oven being on fire.
This episode came about when Bill Freiberger and Cindy Robinson talked about writing in general, which led to Freiberger asking Robinson to write an episode of Sonic Boom. The story itself was broken by Freiberger, Robinson, Greg Hahn and Alan Denton on 15 September in Freiberger's guest house.
The plot came out of a desire for action. Robinson wanted to write "The Eggman Cometh", but Freiberger thought it would be too wordy. When writing this episode, Robinson made several drafts which were edited by the staff when she turned them in. The first record draft of this episode's script was written on 15 December 2016.
Bea the Bee's robot model (the Bee Bot) was chosen out of Eggman's minions because the Bee Bot had a tighter alliteration. The scrapbook scene was inspired by Robinson's own experiences about looking at pictures of her late dog, Gertie. Also, the staff went through several names for the tech support guy Eggman called before settling on "Kevin."
Title in other languages
|French||Le bourdon d'Amy||Amy's bumblebee|
- This episode was revealed by Bill Freiberger on his twitter before its official reveal.
- Nine days before this episode aired on Boomerang, Bill Freiberger released the title card for this episode on Twitter as a teaser.
- Concept artwork for this episode appeared in Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice.
- This is the first episode in any Sonic the Hedgehog media to be written by someone who is primarily a voice actor for the Sonic series.
- The English title of this episode is a pun on the John Lennon song "Give Peace A Chance".
- The Fregosi Sapphire's name is a reference to the episode "The Fregosi Emerald" from The Munsters, a reference of which was included in this episode by Bill Freiberger. Also, Knuckles naming the Fregosi Sapphire "Herman" is a reference to Herman Munster.
- Sonic teetering at the edge of the cliff is a reference to classic Sonic games, in which Sonic has a special animation when he is about to fall off an edge.
- Sonic's slip in voice after Tails calls him "Roger" is a nod to Roger Craig Smith, Sonic's English voice actor. In fact, Sonic's lines at that point were spoken in Roger Craig Smith's natural voice.
- Sonic and Amy's talk about relationships while Sonic fell from the cliff at the beginning of this episode is a nod to "SonAmy" fans.
- Knuckles' assuming guardianship of the Fregosi Sapphire and his remark about how people have complained that he is not guarding enough "rare stones" is a nod to how Knuckles is the guardian of precious gems, like the Master Emerald and Chaos Emeralds, in other media.
- The destroyed minions, and Orbot and Cubot carrying the stretcher is a reference to Gone with the Wind.
- Lady Walrus's quote "My puppy" is a parody of her catchphrase, "My baby".
- Eggman's line "feel the burn, now" is a workout reference.
- Knuckles wearing a baby bjorn in this episode is a reference to The Hangover.
- Bill Freiberger has revealed that Knuckles will be using the baby harness again in Evan Stanley's upcoming episode in the Sonic Boom television series.
- ↑ Sonic Boom: Give Bees a Chance. Zap2it.com. Retrieved on 3 March 2017.
- ↑ Tous les Programmes (French). Canal J. Retrieved on 28 March 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (13 October 2016). Retrieved on 13 October 2016. “Robin McCormack: What episode of Sonic Boom season two will Bea the Bee appear? / Bill Freiberger: "Give Bees A Chance"”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (22 March 2017). Retrieved on 22 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: 227 "Give Bees A Chance" written by @RedHeadSaidProd: Amy nurses one of Dr. Eggman’s beebots back to health and adopts it as a pet.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Menno: So what prompted you to write this awesome episode? :) Were you asked or did you offer to write? / Bill Freiberger: Cindy & I talked about writing in general. So, I asked her to write an episode for us.”
- ↑ Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: According to my notes, Cindy, Bill, Greg, and I broke this story on September 15th in the comfort of Bill's guest house.”
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Somari: How did you come up with the idea for this episode? / Cindy Robinson: We needed action. REALLY wanted to write The Eggman Cometh but @BillFreiberger thought it would be too wordy.”
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Menno: That's great. Were there some different drafts or is it all Cindy we will see in the episode? / Cindy Robinson: There are several drafts. I turned mine in and then the staff made their changes.”
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Instagram. Instragram. Retrieved on 18 March 2017.
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Ria Custodia: One Q for @RedHeadSaidProd about her ep: Why choose Beebot instead of like...the ladybugbot (ladybugs eat annoying aphids) / Cindy Robinson: Because BeeBot had tighter alliteration.”
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Cindy Robinson: The scrapbook scene came from me looking at pics of my dog, Gertie who is featured in Fuzzy Puppy Buddies.”
- ↑ Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: You guys have no idea how many names we went through for the tech support guy before settling on "Kevin." No. Idea.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (16 March 2017). Retrieved on 22 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: A #sonicboom preview for next Saturday on Boomerang: 227 "Give Bees A Chance" written by…”
- ↑ Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: "Fregosi Sapphire" is a Munsters reference put in by (who else?) Bill Freiberger.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: The Fregosi Sapphire is an obscure reference to an episode of THE MUNSTERS called “The Fregosi Emerald””
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: Is Knuckles naming the Sapphire "Herman" *also* a Munsters reference? I... honestly don't remember. / ... / Bill Freiberger: Yes, it was named after Herman Munster.”
- ↑ Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: That teetering Sonic does on the cliff ledge? We dont do it terribly often but it's a reference to the classic Sonic games”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: @RogerCraigSmith dropped out of the Sonic voice into his own voice for that joke.”
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Cindy Robinson: Relationship line was nod to Sonamy fans. You're welcome!”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: The destroyed minions and Orbot & Cubot carrying the stretcher is a reference to “Gone with the Wind.””
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: “Feel the burn, now” is a workout reference, not a political one.”
- ↑ Cindy Robinson on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Cindy Robinson: Knucks and the baby bjorn was a ref to The Hangover”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: A little spoiler: Knuckles will be using that baby harness again in Evan Stanley’s (@SpiritSonic) episode.”