|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Gogoba Chief is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom television series. He is an anthropomorphic chinchilla and the chief of the Gogobas, a tribe who uses guilt-tripping to make others obey their whims, from Gogoba Village. He also runs his own pawn shop as his source of income.
The Chief is an elderly humanoid chinchilla about the height of Tails. He has gray fur with white fur on his front torso and the innards of his ears. On his muzzle he has a small white beard that is held together by small bands. He also has a bushy tail, long and curvy ears with bushes at the points, a small black nose, long front teeth, three-toed feet and golden eyes. His attire consists of a crown made of a yellow band with purple spots and long green leaves, white gloves, a small green cape and flat sandals with green bands. He usually walks around with a bamboo quad cane.
While home, the Chief and his people were plundered by the Weasel Bandits until Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails saved them. Seeing Sonic and Tails as potential protectors, the Chief and his people guilt-tripped them into staying against their will until they had no choice but to remain. Sonic and Tails tried giving them their own defense system, but the Chief and his people botched it up on purpose. While Sonic and Tails later managed to leave by guilt-tripping the Chief, the Chief and his village moved to Sonic's Shack so Sonic could protect them. After getting caught in an Dr. Eggman attack, however, the Chief and his people were guilt tripped by Sonic into coming with Eggman to his lair where they kept bothering the doctor. Eventually, the Chief would return to his village.
Some time later, the Chief and his fellow villagers had a game of Limbo with Sonic in on it. The next day, he met Sonic again when his cart shop's wheel broke off and guilt-tripped the hedgehog into fixing it for him. The chief later went on vacation, only to be get his foot stuck under a rock due to the Lightning Bolt Society. Though Sonic came to check on him, the Chief was left behind when Sonic had to got stop some Bee Bots, making the chief contemplate about chewing his leg off.
Another time, the Chief and several Gogobas came to the Village Center to see Bro-Down Showdown live, only to flee when Obliterator Bot attacked the Village. The Chief later went to the Robot Battle Royale, where he saw Eggman steal Tails' Hypnobot at the end.
When he got stuck under a cart, the Chief's accident was covered by news journalist Sticks the Badger until the Chief's guilt trips made Sticks realize that she had sold herself out to the media. While the Chief tried to join Sticks' subsequent revolt movement, he remained stuck and was soon calmed down. The Gogoba Chief was later in the Village Center when Orbot and Cubot asked him for a ride in his waggon, but the Chief guilt-tripped them into changing their minds. When Knuckles then wanted to join the Gogobas, the Chief welcomed him. However, he cast Knuckles out once he noticed that he was too helpful and kind to be one of them (though not before he had Knuckles fix the local well).
Finding Amy and Bea in Gogoba Village, the Chief let them hide from Dr. Eggman in his village while Eggman looked for Bea. However, he accidently let Bea out for Eggman to recall when checking up on the duo. A while later, the Chief got stuck on a rock in a lava river with some of his villagers when an erupting volcano's lava engulfed Gogoba Village. Nonetheless, he and his people were saved by Sonic and Steve Eggman when Team Sonic came to their aid (with the Chief guilt-tripping the heroes all the way). Another tragedy befell the Chief when everyone but him in his rebuild village got taken away by the Froglodytes to work in the mines. Fortunately, he managed to guilt-trip Team Sonic into saving his people and getting them back home when the heroes came by his village.
The Chief later encountered Sonic when he brought Gogoba Village an order from Meh Burger. Although it had been ordered by someone else, the Chief accepted the meal nonetheless, albeit not without guilt-tripping Sonic into complying to some of his demands in return.
At first glance, the Chief is a nice, positive, and incredibly selfless individual, offering the best of what he has available to others and does not wish others to petty themselves with him and his village's troubles despite their misery. He is likewise patient and composed, if not passive, as he remains calm and non-confrontational in any situation. Underneath his friendly exterior though, the Chief is lazy, deceitful, shrewd and a cunning manipulator. A guilt-mongerer, he knows how to prey on people's guilt; much of his daily speech naturally centers around instilling guilt in others during conversations. He likewise usually serves his tribe and his own self-interest first and foremost. With these skills, he makes others obey his requests whenever he wants to get out of work, even if it is against his victims' own will.
The Chief is a strong follower of the Gogobas' gult-mongering customs, meaning he will disapprove of anything that insults his tribe's way of life. That said, the Chief is not without a good-willed consciousness as he too can be guilt tripped by other's needs (although he will never admit it). When realizing he has been outwitted, the Chief is willing to accept defeat, albeit rather poorly.
Powers and abilities
Like the rest of his village, the Chief is an expert at manipulating others using guilt. When talking with others, the chief seeds guilt by casually noting how his service to them leads to horrid costs for him, causing his victims to feel downright terrible and allowing him to make requests they cannot refuse.
- "Oh, its okay. We know how busy you are. Within a few months, this will turn into compost and we will able to grow new food to eat."
- —The Gogoba Chief when Sonic tries to refuse the feast they prepared for them, "Guilt Tripping"
- "Yeah, go, leave us. Goodbye forever."
- —The Gogoba Chief after being defeated by Sonic and Tails in guilt tripping, "Guilt Tripping"
- "Hey, do you have any unsalted butter? Its not a problem if you don't. I'll just have an allergic reaction that'll make me smell like feet, but don't worry about it."
- —The Gogoba Chief in Dr. Eggman's lair, "Guilt Tripping"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Beechen, Adam (17 January 2015). "Guilt Tripping". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 9. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Gutierrez, Freddie (30 September 2017). "Three Minutes or Less". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 97. Boomerang.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Gutierrez, Freddie (2 May 2015). "Late Fees". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 24. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger's comment on the episode's commentary
- ↑ Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (16 may 2015). Retrieved on 14 December 2015. “Alan Denton: In this week's Sonic Boom, Gogoba Chief gets crushed under a rock. …Who says we don't give the fans what they want?”
- ↑ Sonic Boom episode 8, "Eggheads".
- ↑ Harrison, Reed (16 May 2015). "Eggman Unplugged". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 26. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Moarbes, Charles-Henri (29 August 2015). "Bro-Down Showdown". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 41. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Freiberger, Sam (26 November 2016). "Nutwork". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 55. Boomerang.
- ↑ Beardmore, Marie (14 January 2017). "Strike!". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 62. Boomerang.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (28 January 2017). "Knuck Knuck! Who's Here?". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 64. Boomerang.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Robinson, Cindy (25 March 2017). "Give Bees A Chance". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 72. Boomerang.
- ↑ Lachenaud, Marine; Lachenaud, Cedric (22 April 2017). "Eggman's Brother". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 76. Boomerang.
- ↑ Freiberger, Sam (22 July 2017). "Return of the Buddy Buddy Temple of Doom". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 89. Boomerang.