Grabber as it appears in Sonic Generations.
in other media
Grey, Yellow, Black, Purple
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
Grabber (グラバー Gurabā?) is a yellow-and-black spider-type Badnik created by Doctor Robotnik, that makes its first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Grabber Badniks can be found hiding and moving on the ceiling with one wheel that as it is able to descend with saithe and hang on with it to grab (hence the name of the Badnik) eight mechanical limbs to its target.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Grabber Badniks first appear in the Chemical Plant Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Grabbers are located at hall sections of the zone, as there can be one or two of these Badniks hanging on ceilings and can also move back and forth slowly.
Their attack pattern is hanging on the wall, waiting for Sonic to come, and then the Badnik graps the player and attacks it, causing Sonic to lose his Rings / shield or even a life without rings. When the Badnik graps the the player it starts flashing for few seconds and after that, Grabber will self-destruct on itself destroying both itself and the animal. Ways to escape from a Grabber's hold is pressing left and right alternately on the D-pad or if Tails is with Sonic, he can try to destroy the Badnik before it explodes. The player can also destroy the Badnik and release the animal friend by performing Spin Jump.
Grabber Badniks make return appearance in console versions of Sonic Generations, as these Badniks can be seen once again on the Chemical Plant. Grabbers have a redesigned model in the game, although it has the same attack pattern and is located in the hall sections of the zone.
These Badniks are also able now to crawl along the ground as well as hanging from the ceiling. If the player is grabbed, he or she can struggle free before it self-destructs. If the player destroys the Badnik, there is no animal friend inside of it.
Sonic Lost World
Grabber Badniks make a reappearance in Sonic Lost World, where these they can be found at Windy Hill and Desert Ruins. During the game, it turns out that Badniks, Grabbers included, got hijacked by the Deadly Six. The Grabber Badniks appear on both the Nintendo 3DS version of Zone 2 of Windy Hill and both versions of Desert Ruins. Grabber is found from linear route sections, where can be three of them hanging on the roof and being ready to grab the player, when it arrives closely under of them, similarly like in previous appearances. The player is able destroy these Badniks by using Homing Attack.
Grabber Badnik's body bear resemble to spiders. Its main body has yellow and black stripes, that starts flashing red and black during the self-destruct. On top of the body is connected wheel, which the Badnik uses to move on ceilings. To descend, Grabber uses saithe to move lower. Its head is grey with eyes and tusks. It has eight long, mechanical limbs, four on each side that are connected to bottom section of the body.
In Sonic Generations, Grabber Badniks got redesigned and appear to be larger than before. Grabbers have now black head and limbs. These Badniks also got cyan eyes with black pupils and two smaller eyes above normal eyes, like real spiders. Grabber Badniks don't have wheel anymore to move on ceiling.
Grabber is seen hanging from ceilings on an incredibly strong and durable thread, waiting for prey to pass underneath it so it can drop down. It catches prey with its legs and then self-destructs, causing damage on its captive and sacrificing its organic battery in the process.
Appearances in Other Media
Sonic the Comic
Grabber Badniks have make several appearances in Fleetway's Sonic the Comic as being part of Robotnik's Badnik army. Grabber is first seen in issue 10, as it keeps capturing Emerald Hill Folk, although it only becomes short time trouble for Sonic, who has been rescuing them from Chemical Plant Zone. He defeats the Grabber and releases animal, that had been inside of it for ages.
In issue 74, Tails and Tantrum are caught by two Grabber Badniks before falling to lava in cavern. These two Badniks start arguing about the way how they eat their victims. Because of this, Tails and Tantrum manages to escape from them.
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
In Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode The Robots' Robot, Doctor Robotnik summons Grabber Badniks (which he miscalled as Burrobots) but instead of grabbing Sonic they just run after him. They are defeated when Sonic spins around an ice platform and they fall in the water.
With the announcement of Sonic Generations, Jazwares had made figures of the character from the Sonic series into figures. The characters would include a little figure with the package. A Grabber was included with a Classic Tails figure.
- It is stated in Sonic the Comic, that Grabber Badniks can eat its victims as this is remained in issue 75 and since then it hasn't mentioned at no other point in the comic. However, it stands to reason that any Badnik with a Mobian trapped inside would require sustenance in order to keep their organic batteries running.
- Secret Plant in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure is similar to the Chemical Plant Zone, even having Spiny Badniks. Grabber however doesn't appear in the zone at all, making Spiny Badniks only enemies in the zone.
- A spider robot that is similar to Grabber appears at two sections of Flying Battery Zone Act Two in Sonic & Knuckles. Instead of self-destructing, these robots can grap the player, starts carry across large gaps and then releases the player off.
- In episode The Price of Freedom of Sonic Underground, there appears similar spider-robot that used to disguise itself as watch to spy on the fighters.
- In the episode Unfair Ball of Sonic X anime, Doctor Eggman activates one of the E-21 Ballios that grab Sonic's head that will self-destruct similar to the Grabber.
- A previously unseen jellyfish Badnik appears in the 2013 mobile re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Residing in the waters of the Hidden Palace, it looks entirely different but has similar programming to a Grabber.