- You may be looking for the Green Hill Zone.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)
Race through loops and hidden passageways. Ride moving platforms over pits filled with spikes. Spring high in the air over traps and terrain. Grab those Rings and items, and keep on the lookout for Robotnik's badniks!
— Description from the Instruction manual.
Green Hills Zone (グリーンヒル Gurīnhiru?, lit. "Green Hill") is the fourth Zone of the Master System and Game Gear game Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The name is a reference to Green Hill Zone from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, which it also heavily resembles. As with all other Zones in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Green Hills Zone consists of two standard Acts followed by a shorter, third Act which contains the Zone's boss, Mecha Pig.
This Zone, like the original Green Hill Zone, is filled with rolling plains of green and loop-de-loops which Sonic the Hedgehog must defy gravity in order to speed around. It also contains a couple of flip-ramps that appeared in Green Hill Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit). Pretty much the only difference comes from the trees, which seem more of the deciduous variety than the usual palm. Nevertheless, it seems likely that Green Hills Zone is supposed to be the same place as (or at least a sub-region of) the original Green Hill Zone, as both Zones are sited on South Island, and they are almost identical.
The boss is a robotic pig with an inexplicable penchant for sumo posturing. Sonic's porcine adversary will curl up into a ball and either roll or float from one side of the screen to the other. When he unfurls, that's the player's chance to hit him.
- The Zone's music was remixed into "Sonic - You Can Do Anything", the Japanese/Europe intro theme of Sonic the Hedgehog CD, and was also the music for Mecha Green Hill Zone in Sonic Chaos. A faster variation plays during the Invincibility power-up in Sonic Drift. Also, a remix of part of the melody can be heard in the Invincibility theme in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2.
- Green Hills Zone's position as the fourth Zone is somewhat surprising, because the easy platforming (as well as its several opportunities for maxing out Rings and collecting extra lives) would make one expect that (as usual with Green Hill-themed Zones) this Zone would come first in the game.
- This anomaly also exists in Sonic Chaos, where Mecha Green Hill Zone is also the fourth Zone of the game.
- This stage is artificially made more difficult on the Game Gear port due to the system's limited display size, resulting in "blind jumps" that the Master System port does not have.
- In the Japanese manual, the katakana for this Zone directly reads "Green Hill", suggesting that Green Hills may possibly be a typographical error on the part of the developers.
|N/A||Masafumi Ogata, Naofumi Hataya, Tomonori Sawada||2:30|
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit) page at The GHZ