Stages with a green hill theme have a natural setting. These stages often tend to be the first level in a game and often have a more simplistic and peaceful setting compared to later stages, with shorter levels and fewer enemies. This is one of the most common themes in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Common elements include flowers, trees, grass, basic enemies, and a peaceful setting. This kind of setting greatly resembles the Green Hill Zone, hence the name.
Stages with a green hill themeEdit
- Green Hill Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) - Green Hill Zone is the first example of a stage with a green hill theme.
- Bridge Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit) (1991)
- Green Hills Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit) (1992) - This is the first example of a stage with a green hill theme that is not the first stage in the game. Despite this, the stage still contains a simplistic nature and few enemies.
- Emerald Hill Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)
- Palmtree Panic, Sonic CD (1993)
- Turquoise Hill Zone, Sonic Chaos (1993)
- Great Turquoise Zone, Sonic Triple Trouble (1994)
- Green Grove Zone, Sonic 3D (1996)
- Neo South Island Zone, Sonic Pocket Adventure (1999)
- Neo Green Hill Zone, Sonic Advance (2001)
- Green Hill, Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) - This is simply a remake of the original stage.
- Leaf Forest, Sonic Advance 2 (2002) - Despite the name, Leaf Forest has no elements of the forest theme (including no trees).
- Seaside Hill, Sonic Heroes (2003)
- Frog Forest, Sonic Heroes (2003) - Resembling a 3D Green Hill Zone, this stage also includes elements of a forest theme.
- Sunset Hill, Sonic Advance 3 (2004)
- Forest Falls Zone, Sonic Rivals (2006)
- Splash Hill Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (2010)
- Green Hill, Sonic Generations (2011)