|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic X continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For other uses of the term, see G.U.N. (disambiguation).
The Guardian Units of the Nations, also abbreviated as GUN or G.U.N., is an organization that appears in the anime series Sonic X and its comic series. It is a military organization, affiliated with the President, armed with their expertise in warfare in order to protect humanity and maintain peace on Earth.
Around fifty years prior to the events of Sonic X, GUN was called in to deploy troops to Space Colony ARK in order to stop Project: Shadow, a research project led by Professor Gerald Robotnik that aimed to create the "Ultimate Lifeform", because the government deemed it as a threat. They apprehended most of the researchers (except for Gerald, who would be taken to Prison Island to be sentenced to execution) and stopped their research projects before sealing the prototype of the Ultimate Lifeform away in the ARK. During the attack, a GUN soldier named Mister Schmitz caught sight of Maria Robotnik, who was helping the completed Ultimate Lifeform, Shadow the Hedgehog, escape the ARK. Schmitz pursued Maria to the escape pods, one of which Shadow had already boarded. Schmitz warned Maria he would shoot if she ejected Shadow from the ARK, but when Maria made her choice and started the escape pod's ejection sequence, Schmitz had no choice but to pull the trigger. Ever since then, Schmitz would be haunted by the guilt of having taken Maria's life.
In the aftermath, GUN would shut down the ARK for the next fifty years.
New World Saga
Following the arrival of Sonic the Hedgehog, his friends and Dr. Eggman, GUN grew suspicious of the new inhabitants and in particular, Dr. Eggman, for his world domination schemes. To keep an eye on Sonic and his friends, GUN assigned undercover operative Mister Stewart to act as Chris' homeroom teacher and report back on any information he could collect on Sonic or Eggman while following Chris.
After some time, the decision was made to recruit Sonic to help them deal with Eggman. To accomplish this, GUN sets up a ruse that a Chaos Emerald was found in an abandoned warehouse outside of Station Square. However, when the trap is sprung, instead of catching Sonic, GUN caught Rouge the Bat, a notorious jewel thief, who quickly made a fool out of Topaz, one of the GUN commandos that was part of the trap. Under an agreement to pardon her for her crimes if she agreed to help, Rouge joined GUN to map out Eggman's headquarters for an upcoming attack. After most of the commandos had to leave due to sunrise coming, Rouge and Topaz remain behind to finish scanning the base, managing to take out E-70 Noizi before escaping.
With the map of the base, GUN launched their attack once Eggman left to hunt down a Chaos Emerald, having naval and air forces attack the base while a commando team, including Rouge and Topaz, sneak in from behind. GUN was engaged by Decoe and Bocoe, until Eggman returned and took over the attack. When Topaz, Rouge, and their team were discovered in the base's power room, they were sealed in and trapped after setting and arming their explosives. However, when Sonic and his friends arrived, Sonic managed to retrieve the two Chaos Emeralds that Eggman had collected, and provided a means for Topaz, Rouge, and the others to escape just in time before the explosives detonated and destroyed Eggman's headquarters.
Chaos Emerald Saga
Despite taking out Eggman's headquarters, GUN discovered that Eggman had a backup plan when he launched his mobile headquarters, the Egg Fort, to attack Station Square. Sonic and his friends were able to take the fort down, but not before the Egg Fort managed to damage the X Tornado, forcing it to make an emergency landing on one of GUN's aircraft carriers.
With Eggman still a threat, Topaz, Rouge, and Mister Stewart continued their duties with GUN to ensure that Eggman did not threaten the world with his plans for the Eggman Empire. To further this, Area 99 began researching the wreckage of E-Series robots for any technology they could salvage from Eggman to help them confront the doctor on even ground. This led to the beginning of Project Beetle: mobile weapons built with Eggman's salvaged technology. The conflict with Eggman came to a head when Rouge and Topaz were covertly observing Eggman's Egg Fort II until it headed for Station Square. While Rouge and Topaz gave chase in a helicopter, GUN was already prepared to deal with the Egg Fort II, and unleashed their Beetles. However, when Eggman brought out the heavy guns and transformed the Egg Fort II into the E-99 Eggsterminator, the Beetles were quickly annihilated. Topaz and her fellow GUN agents were unable to do much from their helicopter either. It was only when Super Sonic appeared that the Eggsterminator was destroyed in a fiery wreck. In the aftermath, Topaz and her fellow GUN agents bore witness to the appearance of the Mystic Ruins and Angel Island by Chaos Control.
Six months after events with the Eggsterminator, GUN began wondering about Eggman's whereabouts since then, as he had been strangely silent during this time. They soon got word of his return when he attacked Station Square with Chaos. However, there was little they could do to help, especially once Chaos flooded Station Square upon becoming Perfect Chaos. The President dispatched GUN to stop Chaos, but their helicopter gunships were no match for the beast. It was thus left to Super Sonic, who saved the day again by defeating Perfect Chaos.
GUN soon faced their biggest threat from Eggman when they discovered he had hacked into their secure databases and downloaded the information on his grandfather, Professor Robotnik, and Project: Shadow. Dispatching Topaz and Rouge to have Rouge get into Eggman's inner circle, GUN was at the same time forced apprehend Sonic, due to numerous crimes being carried out by someone who looked like Sonic.
After a lengthy hunt for Sonic using their latest robots, GUN managed to corner Sonic. Upon learning he would be taken to Prison Island, Sonic willingly turned himself in to GUN. However, Prison Island was later attacked by Eggman, Shadow, and the undercover Rouge, to acquire the Chaos Emeralds stored there, and to outright destroy the island with time-delayed explosives that Eggman had Shadow plant. Meanwhile Sonic escaped his cell and fled with his friends, who had come to rescue him. At the same time, the GUN personnel managed to evacuate before the island was destroyed, thus minimizing casualties.
At the same time, Mister Stewart (who had gone AWOL during the events with Chaos by choosing to protect his students rather than follow orders) had been reassigned to assist SSTV reporter Scarlet Garcia with investigating Project: Shadow. They soon meet up with one of the GUN soldiers who shut down Project Shadow fifty years ago, Mister Schmitz, who told them about what went down on-board the ARK, and his guilt over taking Maria's life.
Meanwhile, Rouge gathered enough information that allowed Topaz to discover a hidden group within GUN that had covered up Project: Shadow. She personally led GUN and the police to where the group was located and had them all arrested while Sonic and Shadow managed to prevent the ARK from crashing to Earth as part of Professor Robotnik's doomsday revenge plot to avenge Maria's murder at the hands of GUN.
Soon, word came that unless Sonic and everyone from his world returned there, time would stop forever. Though everyone was in agreement that Sonic and his friends had to return home, a rogue general named Card Passer in GUN thought of it to be some sort of trick and attempted to have GUN attack Eggman behind the President's back. To further his intention, he held the President hostage to avoid being overruled. His attack on Eggman began to falter when Eggman revealed his new battleship in the Grand Egg Imperial, fighting off GUN's mechs. His efforts soon failed as a joint effort by Rouge, Topaz, and Knuckles rescued the President, and the general and anyone allied with him were apprehended for their actions and punished.
Topaz joined everyone to say their final goodbyes to Sonic and his friends, but after Chris shut down the portal before Sonic could go through and fled with him, GUN offered their support to try and find them, including having Topaz join Mister Tanaka in looking for them as one of the search parties.
- In the English dub of Sonic X, G.U.N. is not referred to as such in the whole series. This is most likely due to "GUN" sounding similar to gun as in the projectile weapon. However, "G.U.N." is still mentioned in the brief synopsis of some Australian Sonic X Volume DVD covers which had episodes that G.U.N. appeared in.
- ↑ Sonic X #13, "Hare-um Scare-um! Part One"
- ↑ Sonic X #28, "Green-Eyed Monster, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic X #7, "Take This Job and Shovel It!"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Yoshimura, Kiyoko (27 November 2004). "Robotnik's Revenge". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 37.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Yoshimura, Kiyoko (4 December 2004). "Showdown in Space". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 38.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Yoshimura, Kiyoko (14 December 2003). "Robotnik's Revenge (Japanese version)". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 37.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (23 August 2003). "Chaos Control Freaks". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 1.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (15 November 2003). "Fly Spy". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 11.
- ↑ Urasawa, Yoshio (6 December 2003). "That's What Friends Are For". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 14.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Yoshimura, Kiyoko (13 December 2003). "Skirmish in the Sky". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 15.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Masaki, Hiro (20 March 2004). "A Dastardly Deed". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 25.
- ↑ Houjou, Chinatsu (6 March 2004). "Emerald Anniversary". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 23.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (27 March 2004). "Countdown to Chaos". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 26.
- ↑ Yoshimura, Kiyoko (18 September 2004). "Pure Chaos". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 27.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Shiraishi, Masahiko (23 October 2004). "Flood Fight". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 32.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Masaki, Hiro (30 October 2004). "Project: Shadow". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 33.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Shiraishi, Masahiko (6 November 2004). "Shadow Knows". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 34.
- ↑ Houjou, Chinatsu (13 November 2004). "Sonic's Big Break". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 35.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (20 November 2004). "Shadow World". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 36.
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Houjou, Chinatsu (19 March 2005). "Running Out of Time". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 50.
- ↑ Yoshimura, Kiyoko (19 March 2005). "Friends 'Til the End". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 51.