Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition is a record book made by Guinness World Records. The book contains video game-related records, trivia, and countdowns.
- The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise was awarded seven records. The records include "Best Selling Game on Sega Systems", "Longest Running Comic Based on a Video Game" and "Best Selling Retro Game Compilation" (for Sonic Mega Collection).
- Sonic Heroes has the record for most playable characters in a platform game.
- Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog has the record for the longest running video game comic series ever. The cover of Sonic the Hedgehog #97 accompanied this section.
- Sega considered an armadillo as its mascot, and Sonic the Hedgehog was originally called "Mr. Needlemouse."
- The original Sonic the Hedgehog game has a limit of 9,999,990 points, and 23 people have scored this on the Xbox Live scoreboards.
- The world record for fastest completion time of Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 is Louis Tsiattalou with a time of 0:20. He did this at the Summer of Sonic convention using a Sega Mega Drive.
- The fastest completion of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 using Sonic as the player character is 49 minutes 17 seconds, achieved by James Richards (UK) in Maidstone, Kent, UK on 9 August 2008.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is number 15 on the list of Top 50 console games of all time.
- Page 96: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is placed 2nd on the list of "ten 2D platformers you should play".
- Page 97: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the best-selling game on any SEGA platform; 50 million unit sales have been made by "SEGA's long-running and ever-popular Sonic the Hedgehog series."
- Page 191: the Sonic the Hedgehog series is placed 15th in the Top 50 Video Game Series.
- Page 206: the Summer of Sonic convention is mentioned; according to "a number of polls", Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most recognizable of all video game characters; records for Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).
- Page 207: records for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Sonic features on the cover of the edition, coinciding with his 20th anniversary.
- Sonic placed tenth in the list of the Top 50 Video Game Characters, based on a poll of over 13,000 readers.
- Page 63: There are 4 games that feature both Mario and Sonic, three of which are part of the Mario & Sonic series.
- Page 109: Sonic and the Secret Rings is the Best-Selling Third-Party 3D Wii Platformer.
- Page 117: Sonic is a guest in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Page 185: Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) are listed at #33 and #28 respectively in "top 50 game endings".
- Pages 196-197: records for Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 3; information on the "lock-on technology" in Sonic & Knuckles.
- The event Summer of Sonic was recognized as the first official fan convention for a video game character.
- Page 25: Charles Griffin holds the record of fastest completion of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, being at 15 min 5 sec on 1 August 2008.
- Page 122-123: The Sonic the Hedgehog series is listed #19 in the Countdown of Top 50 game franchises of all time by the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition Readers.
- Page 122: Sonic the Hedgehog had excess sales of 13 million across Sega consoles from the Sega Mega Drive and onwards.
- Page 122: Sonic himself debuted as the first video game character in Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade on 1993.
- Page 122: Mike "Mike89" McKenzie holds the record of fastest completion of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, being at 15 min 18 sec on 4 December 2013. He has beat his own record by almost a minute.
- Page 122: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is the best-selling gaming cross-over, having global sales of 12.99 million as of 31 July 2014.
- Page 122: Shawn Alvarez holds the fastest record of Skeleton Run on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, being at 65.05 sec on 16 February 2014.
- Page 123: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is the first Wii U game and the first Sonic game to use the CryEngine game engine.
- Page 123: Sonic Boom is the first CG-animated Sonic the Hedgehog TV series.
- Page 123: "becky--jay" holds the record with the most game points on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. being 1,679.
- Page 123: Sonic Adventure 2 was the first Sonic game for a third-party platform that being the Nintendo Gamecube under the title Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.
- Page 123: Carlos Johnson ("DarkspinesSonic") holds the record for any-percentage speed-run record for Sonic Lost World, being 1 hr 9 min 34 sec on 22 May 2014.
- The summary of the Sonic Adventure 2 ending in the 2012 edition does not include the death of Shadow the Hedgehog.
- ↑ http://sonichogenglish.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/guinness-world-records-gamers-edition.html
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://uk.gamespot.com/news/spot-on-guinness-world-records-gamers-edition-6185294
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2009/10/new-sonic-2-world-record-doesnt-actually-beat-world-record/
- ↑ http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/guinness-world-records-gamers-edition-2009-fastest-mobile-gaming-rig-record-set
- ↑ http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/70596-Guiness-Book-of-World-Records-2009-Gamers-Edition
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guinness-lists-top-50-games-of-all-time
- ↑ http://www.tssznews.com/2010/10/27/sonic-graces-guiness-world-records-for-gamers-cover/
- ↑ http://www.xboxer360.com/news/guinness-world-records-2011-gamers-edition-top-50-video-game-characters/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/01/summer-of-sonic-wins-a-guinness-world-record/
- Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia