|This page was created using the Creative Commons Licensed content from this Wikipedia article. Don't be afraid to rewrite sections in a more Sonic-y style!|
Hammerspace is a term used to refer to an invisible space where fictional characters can pull out objects larger than the physical space they are stored in. RPGs (Role-Playing Games) refer to this space as a Magic Satchel. In the Sonic the Hedgehog series, many characters are seen pulling large objects seemingly out of nowhere (usually Chaos Emeralds). This can be considered as sort of a "video game logic" that has no real meaning to it and is not important to the story or gameplay, but can sometimes happen as an element of gameplay.
Many characters have been seen having access to Hammerspace, such as:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Amy Rose
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Doctor Eggman
- Espio the Chameleon
- Vector the Crocodile
- Rouge the Bat
- Bean the Dynamite
- Cream the Rabbit
- Mephiles the Dark
Usage in games
In games, characters are commonly seen pulling objects out of nowhere. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
In the last story, after Eggman shouts about the Chaos Emeralds, several characters all pull out a Chaos Emerald, all seven in total, completely out of Hammerspace. Also, during gameplay, a few objects are pulled out of Hammerspace by certain characters:
Amy can pull impossible amounts of Piko Piko Hammers out of Hammerspace.
Espio can pull an indefinite amount of ninja stars out of Hammerspace.
Several characters can pull objects out of Hammerspace when performing special attacks:
- Sonic can pull out rings and explosives.
- Tails can pull out boxing gloves, energy cannons, explosives and magic hands.
- Knuckles can pull giant boulders out of the ground and can also pull out explosives.
- Amy can pull out Piko Piko Hammers, explosives and boxing gloves.
- Rouge can pull out large balloon-shaped objects.
- Cream can pull out spade-like objects.
- E-102 Chaos Gamma's Jet Booster will appear when activated and will disappear when Gamma hits the ground.
- Emerl and Phi can pull out all of the above.
- During most of these actions, the items in question usually appear from a "flash" as though they were teleported there.
In Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow was shown having access to Hammerspace. He would often pull any Chaos Emeralds he had collected out of nowhere and then they would just vanish without any physical means of transporting them. In one scene, however, he made a gesture where he appeared to be putting two Chaos Emeralds in his "pockets" although he wears no clothing. Also, the guns Shadow carries use Hammerspace, indicated by the fact that he never needs to reload them.
During gameplay, the character can pull out objects when boosting to attack others. For example, Wave can pull out a wrench or a stick of dynamite to attack. Jet stores his cube key and his Bashōsen in Hammerspace. Another example is Tails, as he pulls an electric wire out of nowhere while boosting. In Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Sonic Free Riders, the same thing happens.
Several characters pull Chaos Emeralds out of nowhere.
In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, the player is capable of collecting an indefinite amount of items, without any visible means of transporting them.
Chip is able to pull chocolate bars out of Hammerspace.
A subversion (in this case) is when a character shows how they are able to pull out an item without the use of Hammerspace.
- In one episode of Sonic X, Amy holds out her hand and a Piko Piko Hammer appears in a puff of smoke.
- At some points in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, a number of characters (especially Knuckles in the earlier issues) would pull small items out of their gloves.
- In one episode of Sonic X, Tails pulls out a Chaos Emerald from between his two tails.