The Heavy Gunner (ヘビーガンナー Hebī Gannā?) is an antagonist that appears in Sonic Mania. A member of the Hard Boiled Heavies, the Heavy Gunner is the enhanced version of an Egg-Robo created by Dr. Eggman. Struck with the power of the Phantom Ruby, the Heavy Gunner serves as his team's strong arm specialist.
Originally an Egg-Robo, the Heavy Gunner received a makeover when he stumbled upon the Phantom Ruby. Decorated as a police officer, the Heavy Gunner's design reflects that of a blue and black uniform and a white motorcycle helmet with a red siren on top. The Heavy Gunner has two yellow straps crossing over on his chest in an "X"-shape, with a star-shaped badge in the middle. He also possesses a microphone communicator on his helmet, red eyes, white gloves, gray-colored appendages, and blue fore feet.
The Heavy Gunner is equipped with a jetpack on his back and carries a white and green rectangular prism-shaped weapon on its left arm.
The Heavy Gunner was originally an elite Egg-Robo who handled the most extreme tasks for his creator, Dr. Eggman. After detecting a mysterious energy source on Angel Island, Eggman sent the Heavy Gunner and the other Hard Boiled Heavies to investigate. Upon reaching Angel Island, he and his troop excavated the energy source, the Phantom Ruby, just as Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower arrived. The Phantom Ruby promptly warped space-time around them, transforming the Heavy Gunner into his police officer attire along with his troop. As a side effect of the ruby, the Heavy Gunner and his team gained free wills and personalities of their own, though they were driven mad in the process.
The Phantom Ruby transported the Hard Boiled Heavies, along with Sonic, Tails, and a nearby Knuckles the Echidna, to the Green Hill Zone, where the troop fled with the gemstone. After that, the Hard Boiled Heavies planned to keep the Phantom Ruby for themselves. The Heavy Gunner and his troop soon met Eggman again though, who tried to command the group. When they would not listen though, Eggman snatched the Phantom Ruby from their clutches. The Heavy Gunner and his troop then fled the scene.
The Heavy Gunner would be the first Hard Boiled Heavy to fight against Sonic and co. Encountering them in Studiopolis Zone, the Heavy Gunner and its three Egg-Robos chased the heroes across the Zone, but were ultimately defeated, leaving the Heavy Gunner to retreat.
The Heavy Gunner is, like most of the Hard Boiled Heavies, an oddball. The Heavy Gunner is considered a "loose cannon" and is too erratic for his own good. Due to this destructive behavior, he causes unintentional damage to property and anyone standing in his way. The Heavy Gunner loves to terrorize civilians of Studiopolis Zone with his helicopter. Despite his spontaneous and destructive behavior however, he still abides to the orders from the Hard Boiled Heavies' leader, the Heavy King, with no hesitation. Like the other Hard Boiled Heavies, he wishes to do harm to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles whether it be by orders from Eggman or by his own, chaotic nature.
Powers and abilities
The Heavy Gunner, like a standard Egg-Robo, is shown to have the ability to fly at any given time. The Heavy Gunner is also shown to have exceptional sharpshooting skills.
The Heavy Gunner's main weapon is a green rectangular prism-shaped bazooka that can shoot multiple missiles simultaneously.
The Heavy Gunner, alongside three Egg-Robos, will come soaring through the sky towards the end of Studiopolis Zone Act 1, chasing the player. During the entire battle, the player is stuck in an Auto Running section, meaning both the player and the Heavy Gunner are constantly moving to the right. The Heavy Gunner flies at the top of the screen in a helicopter, accompanied by three Egg-Robos.
The boss is relatively easy: the Heavy Gunner will periodically shoot three missiles: two of them will be red missiles while the last missile is colored blue. While the red missiles cause damage upon touch, the blue missile is the key to beating the Heavy Gunner, as hitting the blue missile with a Spin Attack or Spin Jump will cause the missile to rebound back to the Heavy Gunner, who will fly off-screen to dodge the attack and leave the missile to hit his company. Doing so three times will eliminate the platoon of Egg-Robos the Heavy Gunner brought with him as back-up. Between each hit, the player will get an opportunity to collect more Rings along the path. Hit the blue missiles once more to aim at the Heavy Gunner, who will be forced to flee from the scene just before the rocket hits the helicopter and destroys it. The player can then proceed to the Goal Plate and finish the Act.
|Hi Spec Robo Go!||Tee Lopes, Falk Au Yeong||0:52|
- The Heavy Gunner is the most prolific of the Hard Boiled Heavies, being the only member shown publicly before Sonic Mania released.
- According to the YouTube video "How to Make a Badnik, with Dr. Eggman" uploaded by the official Sonic YouTube channel, the Heavy Gunner's weapon comically appears to be inspired by a pencil sharpener.
- Heavy Gunner being described as a "loose cannon" is a reference to cop movies that often feature protagonists matching that description.
- The Heavy Gunner is the only member of the Hard Boiled Heavies that serves as an Act 1 boss. All other members appear as Act 2 bosses.
- Heavy Gunner is the only member of the Hard Boiled Heavies that is never hit in the boss fight; the first three times, they hit Egg-Robos, and the last time hits the Heavy Gunner's helicopter.
Titanic Monarch Zone
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 media:HBH.jpeg
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (27 June 2014). Retrieved on 10 March 2017. “Say hello to Eggman’s strong arms specialist, Hard Boiled Heavy member Heavy Gunner!”
- ↑ Sonic Mania Information Manual (22 July 2017). Retrieved on 23 July 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic Mania manual scan
- ↑ How to Make a Badnik, with Dr. Eggman. YouTube (23 March 2017). Retrieved on 24 March 2017.