The Heavy Rider (ヘビーライダー Hebī Raidā?) is an antagonist that appears in Sonic Mania. A member of the Hard Boiled Heavies, the Heavy Rider is the enhanced version of an Egg-Robo created by Dr. Eggman after being struck with the power of the Phantom Ruby. The Heavy Rider is usually accompanied by her trusty steed, Jimmy.
Originally an Egg-Robo, the Heavy Rider received a makeover when she stumbled upon the Phantom Ruby. Decorated as a knight, the Heavy Rider's design reflects that of a purple knight with a gray-colored helmet. She also has a black lower torso, red eyes, and gray appendages. She possesses as well three spikes on her chest and has purple forefeet.
The Heavy Rider was originally an elite Egg-Robo who handled the most extreme tasks for her creator, Dr. Eggman. After detecting a mysterious energy source on Angel Island, Eggman sent the Heavy Rider and the other Hard Boiled Heavies to investigate. Upon reaching Angel Island, she and her troop excavated the energy source, the Phantom Ruby, just as Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower arrived. The Phantom Ruby promptly warped space-time around them, transforming the Heavy Rider into her knight attire along with her troop. As a side effect of the ruby, the Heavy Rider and her team gained free wills and personalities of their own, though they were driven mad in the process.
The Phantom Ruby transported the Hard Boiled Heavies, along with Sonic, Tails, and a nearby Knuckles the Echidna, to the Green Hill Zone, where the troop fled with the gemstone. After that, the Hard Boiled Heavies planned to keep the Phantom Ruby for themselves. The Heavy Rider, now having a Moto Bug named Jimmy as her steed, and her troop soon met Eggman again though, who tried to command the group. When they would not listen though, Eggman snatched the Phantom Ruby from their clutches. The Heavy Rider and her troop then fled the scene.
The Heavy Rider and Jimmy appeared soon after in the Lava Reef Zone where they fought Sonic and Tails. However, the heroic duo proved too much for the Heavy Rider, who fled from the fight after being defeated.
The Heavy Rider is said to have gotten a couple of screws loose after receiving newfound power from the Phantom Ruby. Besides this, she is said to be a courageous thrill-seeker who loves pulling off dangerous stunts. It is also implied that she has a playful attitude, as confetti and a loud "YAY!" is heard as she jumps over her stunts in her battle arena.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
The Heavy Rider possesses incredible strength, enough to swing around a giant metal flail with ease. She is also shown to be a masterful driver when riding her trusty steed, Jimmy.
The Heavy Rider's main weapon of choice is a large, gray-colored mace that she uses to protect herself and attack her opponents.
The Heavy Rider is one of the two final bosses for Lava Reef Zone (the other being the Heavy King) and the twentieth overall boss of Sonic Mania. She is fought with Sonic and Tails at the end of their version of Lava Reef Zone Act 2.
During the fight, the Heavy Rider will continuously ride back and forth on Jimmy, swinging her mace around. Because of the mace and her high speed, she is a tricky foe to land hits on. If the player is about to collide with Jimmy, the Moto Bug will jump over them. Eventually, the Heavy Rider will perform one of two stunts:
- She will drive up onto the ramps and make a daredevil jump over two flamethrowers that will spit fire all over the arena. This will get the crowd cheering and cause confetti to rain down on the arena. During this attack, the player must stay out of the center of the arena unless they have a Flame Shield.
- She will ride off the left or right sides of the arena, rev up some speed, and zoom across to the other side with the mace held out in front of Jimmy. If she decides to do this right after the above stunt, she will leave a flaming trail that will hurt the player.
|Hi-Spec Robo Go!||Tee Lopes, Falk Au Yeong (mixing)||0:52|
- Oddly enough, the Heavy Rider's spiked flail is designed like the spiked balls seen in Marble Garden Zone and Lava Reef Zone in-game, while in official art, the flail has a more plain design.
- The sounds used when the Heavy Rider turns, jumps, or revs up come from Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball.
- Through Debug Mode, it is possible to fight the Heavy Rider in Lava Reef Zone as Knuckles.
Lava Reef ZoneEdit
Titanic Monarch ZoneEdit