|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic X anime or comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Helen is a character in Sonic X. She is one of Christopher Thorndyke's closest friends and love interest and one of the few who readily accept Sonic the Hedgehog and his residential friends from the beginning. Helen was born with a condition that restricts her to a wheelchair and has spent much of her life a paraplegic.
Helen is a young girl who, despite being confined to a wheelchair, thrives for adventure. She showed very little fear when Sonic pushed her chair faster then anyone else and carried her higher then she's usually used to going. She is a very kind and considerate person. She also has a huge love for flowers and enjoys catching lizards, snakes and bugs, much to her friend Danny's disgust.
Her personality is a little more outgoing in the scenes shown of her six years later. She acts more sarcastic and is a bit more excitable when speaking with Chris. She turned out to excel in the field of science along with Chris.
Role in the Anime
Though Helen's role in the series is minimal, she has the most communication with Sonic aside from Chris and becomes quite important to Chris himself. Sonic abandoned a dinner outing with the President to take Helen to the mountains, fulfilling a promise he had made to her earlier in the episode to visit an island filled with beautiful white flowers, all while evading armed troops attempting to retrieve him under the orders of the President's aid, Jerome Wise.
At the beginning of season three/series 2, Helen and Chris are seen six years in the future, having developed a relationship. Chris's efforts to return to Sonic's world are encouraged and when he arrives there, she and his other friends send him reminders of their support.
Helen was originally depicted on Sonic X trading cards as being a healthy young girl, but when the series was fully developed, she underwent a slight change and was made a paraplegic.
Sonic and Helen are good friends. They became good friends in Episode 14, where Sonic abandoned a dinner with the President and went on an adventure with Helen.
In the Season 3 there are three signs that they fell in love with each other:
- When Chris wrote a card when he will go to Sonic's World, he wrote "For all the people I love: Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Danny, Frances and you... Helen."
- In Season 3, when Danny, Frances and Helen tried to bring Chris back, they failed and went to their own homes. When Helen was "walking", she said: "Chris..."
- In episode 65 when Lilim asked Chris if he loves someone, Chris said: "No, I don't have anyone in mind..." But he said so nervously that he laughed a lot. Lilim said to Chris: "I can tell by your face that you're lying", Chris laughed but it was true.
- Her appearance is similar to Maria Robotnik.
- Despite being paralyzed from the waist down, Helen has shown to be very adventurous at times, like laughing when she and Sonic nearly fell off a cliff, and shown to catch lizards, snakes and bugs.
- "Dad and Mom work hard for me in order to not let me feel uncomfortable. They did everything for me. They brought me the best doctors and this wheelchair is very expensive. In fact... I don't really want anything else, I just want to stay with my dad and mom. But I'm feeling really happy today! I've never felt so nervous before." - Helen to Sonic in "That's What Friends Are For"