Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Hip and Hop are characters that appear in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are a pair of kangaroos who managed to escape from Dr. Robotnik's tyranny. They later became judges of the Republic of Acorn.
Hip and Hop both appear as bluish-gray Kangaroos, and are completely indistinguishable from each other. Most of their bodies are covered in bluish-gray fur, the exceptions being their light brown arms and muzzles. Both wear long blue shoes-to accommodate their large feet-and white gloves.
Hip and Hop escaped from Dr. Robotnik's tyranny right after the doctor took over Mount Mobius. After the construction of Robotnik's Veg-O-Fortress, Hip and Hop warned Sonic the Hedgehog when he arrived of the presence of Ferrons ahead before escaping to safety.
Hip and Hop eventually relocated to Knothole Village. The two served as judges in a trial against Sonic following his rampage as Mecha Sonic, informing him that, despite their past history, there would be no conflict of interest and that Sonic would already be banished if it was up to them, ultimately finding him guilty of treason.
The two kangaroos later served as judges for the Republic of Acorn in 3237 for the trial of Geoffrey St. John after the latter betrayed the kingdom to the evil wizard Ixis Naugus. While Geoffrey did it with good intentions, the two determined that 'the ends do not justify the means' and found him guilty of treason, though their ruling proved pointless as King Naugus quickly pardoned St. John for his crime.
- Hip and Hop are based on the minor, unnamed characters seen in the Lava Powerhouse of Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball. In fact, Hip and Hop's debut story, "The Spin Doctor" is a loose comic adaption of the video game.
- Hip and Hop's names are a reference to the musical genre, Hip hop.
- They share the same names as Nintendo's Iggy and Lemmy Koopa's cartoon counterparts from Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.
- Hip and Hop's occupation as Judges is a reference to the term kangaroo court.
- The cover of Sonic the Hedgehog #233 depicts Hip and Hop wearing court wigs, something that they did not wear in the issue.