Shadow using his Hover Shoes to propel himself forward in Sonic Generations.
|Statistics and Overview|
Increasing Shadow's speed
Shadow the Hedgehog's footwear
Unlike Sonic's Power Sneakers, Shadow's Hover Shoes usually keep the same design. They are mainly white, with black heel regions and soles, and what seems to be a red strips of metal on the rear and front of the bottom of each shoe, broken below the insteps. In Shadow's artwork, these strip usually seems to have a spot where the red has been scratched off, as a sort of "battle scar". This also pertains to Shadow's longevity, as the red paint appears to be flaking off with age.
The bottom of each shoe is black, and has a pattern of small "jets" which Shadow uses to propel himself forward.
Whenever Shadow is running, his movement creates the illusion that he is skating. This is because the jets on the soles of the Hover Shoes propel him forward at a constant pace, but he moves as if he is simply skating along the ground. Shadow uses his Hover Shoes to increase his speed. This is indicated in Sonic Battle, which states that he "uses the power of his Hover Shoes to move fast". Also, in Shadow's rival battle in Sonic Generations, Shadow uses his Hover Shoes to keep up with Sonic by making him fly forward at a high speed at a hovering height just above the ground. The Hover Shoes can also been upgraded by the Super Transformation, allowing it to fly up the user in the air.
In Shadow the Hedgehog, the Hover Shoes are shown to be able to produce enough lift to stall his fall, but not enough to go up or move around, as seen during usage of midair attacks, armed or unarmed.
Apperances in other media
The Hover Shoes also appear in the Sonic Boom where they belong to Shadow the Hedgehog. In this media, the shoes keep much of the same appearance with the only change being that they have a larger cuffs and the red goes onto the shoes as well.
- The only time Shadow has not worn his Hover Shoes is in the Sonic Riders series.
- In Sonic and the Black Knight, Sir Lancelot wears shoes very similar in design to Hover Shoes, but they are armored.
- Prior to his transformation into his crystalline form, Mephiles wore Hover Shoes identical to Shadow's, though he never used them.
- It is unknown what is the energy supply of the Hover Shoes.
- It is shown in Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal that Shadow's Hover Shoes has four jets instead of five in this new series.