|This object exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Hoverboards are skateboard-based equipment which, like their name implies, are capable of hovering above ground or flying through midair. They are highly maneuverable, capable of making 180 degree turns within a couple of meters and pulling off impressive acrobatic stunts. They can also move at high speeds, though they are not as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog. Using them effectively requires a great deal of skills and focus however, as Fastidious Beaver could not steer his properly while panicking.
The Hoverboards come in various designs, from rustic to high-tech, and can be fitted with armaments for offense while riding them.
The Hoverboards were used by for the first stage of a race between Fastidious Beaver, Tails and Dr. Eggman as a test to see who was worthy of being Sonic's sidekick. Following a tricky race through the jungle (during which Fastidious got knocked out), the contestants left the Hoverboards for the next stage. Eggman would afterwards exhibit his own custom Hoverboard in his lair.
While having a Hoverboard race through the jungle, Sonic and Tails stumbled upon Gogoba Village. After escaping the village, only to meet the Gogobas at home, Sonic and Tails used their Hoverboards to stop a Badnik attack when the Gogobas kept getting in their way.
List of Hoverboards
Fastidious' board appears to be made just of wood with metal straps keeping his feet in place. Curiously, it is capable of hovering, but has no form of propulsion other than gravity.
Sonic's board is made of yellow wood with a round rear and front, and sides that curve inward. It has a metal strap around the middle and a wired cylinder component on the edge of the rear. It also has a circular metal pad on top of the rear and two hover engines below it.
Tails' board is made of wood fitted with two propellers for propulsion on the rear. It is fitted with a tailplane at the rear and charged with a counter at the front with stabilizers for rest. It has a metal square for Tails to maneuver the board with.
Dr. Eggmans board is made of sleek metal with a red stripe design down the middle and a red triangular tip at the front. It has circular foot-controls for maneuverability and black, twin-tailplanes. Its underside is black with blue lighting.
The board can deploy round, cylindrical weapons with blue slit-like eyes in their centers. These units deploy red razor blades to attack opponents.
- The Hoverboards bare great resemblance to the Extreme Gears from the Sonic Riders series.
- In Sonic Underground, Manic the Hedgehog also owns a hoverboard which is used for flight, riding thermals and keeping up with his brother Sonic.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Beechen, Adam (17 January 2015). "Guilt Tripping". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 9. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2015). Retrieved on 16 March 2016. “Sonic the Hedgehog: Which Tails invention is your favorite? UT - Reverse Polarizer - Unbolterizer - Hoverboard”
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Banker, Mark; Lieblich, Doug (8 November 2014). "The Sidekick". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 1. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (19 September 2015). "It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 44. Cartoon Network.