- SONIC'S RACING INTO A NEW ADVENTURE! After defeating the evil Dr. Eggman's latest plot, Sonic is racing around the world to shut down the robotic Badnik forces that are still attacking villages. But it's a big job for one hedgehog—even Sonic! Fortunately, he'll have some help from his best friend: Tails!
Fallout Part 1
- Written by: Ian Flynn
- Pencils by: Tracy Yardley
- Inks by: Jim Amash & Bob Smith
- Colors by: Matt Herms
- Letters by: Corey Breen
- Edited by: Joe Hughes & David Mariotte
- Published by: Greg Goldstein
- Special thanks to: Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Aaron Webber, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
The issue begins with an introduction to the series: it explains that for years, Sonic the Hedgehog has been battling the forces of Dr. Eggman. Every time the mad doctor has attacked, Sonic has showed up and thwarted his schemes, then relaxed until Eggman makes his next move. After their last battle, however, Dr. Eggman had vanished, but his robot army has not.
Back in the present, Sonic sees a town of anthropomorphic animals under attack by Badniks, whom the locals are trying to fight off, prompting Sonic to head in and see if they need a hand. Inside the town, a resident armed with a Cube Wispon tells the others to get to their storm bunker. The resident nervously tries to take a stand against the invading Egg Pawns but is easily knocked down. Before the Egg Pawns can get him though, Sonic shows up and takes the Egg Pawns out. Helping the resident back on his feet, Sonic gives him back his Cube Hammer and tells him to put it to good use. Sonic then takes off in a hurry to rescue the rest of the town, advising the resident to hide indoors. Sonic soon after stumbles upon the town's militia and tells them that Badniks are coming from the north and to go help the resident he just helped. Caught off-guard, the militia nonetheless agrees. Meanwhile, some Moto Bugs are about to get a pair of townspeople, who are struggling to open the shelter. Fortunately, Sonic takes out the Moto Bugs, then winks and strikes a cool pose in front of the townspeople before taking off again. Calming down, the townspeople are left star-struck by Sonic's coolness.
Meanwhile, Sonic comes across a Super Badnik: an Egg Hammer. Not rattled in the slightest, Sonic forces the Egg Hammer back with some Spin Attacks. As he tries gloating to the Egg Hammer into attacking him however, he notices that he is surrounded by three more Egg Hammers. The Egg Hammers take a unified whack at Sonic. However, Sonic soon after emerges from a manhole, smugly revealing that he used the underground system before the Egg Hammers could hit him. Sonic then runs away while the Egg Hammers chase him, but before one can hit him with its hammer, Tails swoops in and pulls Sonic away. Landing on a building, Sonic thanks Tails for the save and informs him of the town's status. He reveals that he has taken care of the small-fry Badniks and that the town militia can handle the rest. However, the Egg Hammers are still posing a threat. Sonic and Tails thus decide to destroy them together and use the Rolling Combo to split an Egg Hammer in half. The both of them continue their collaboration from there and manage to take down two more Egg Hammers. Exhausted, Tails thinks this would be easier if Knuckles was with them, but Sonic assures him that they are doing fine.
Tails quickly notices that the rest of the Badniks are making a run for it. Not willing to risk letting them attack other towns, Sonic tells Tails to cut the Badniks off while he handles the remaining Super Badnik. With Tails on task, Sonic turns his attention to the remaining Egg Hammer. Smashing its head, Sonic lands gracefully on the ground while the Egg Hammer lands on its own hammer. Sonic then yells to Tails to hurry up, as the Badniks were almost out. In response, Tails casually closes the town gate, causing the remaining Badniks from crash into the closing gate, destroying them. Joining up with Tails again, Sonic casually applauds and praises Tails, which the fox cub humbly accepts.
As the duo take a breather, Tails figures the Badnik attack to be much more coordinated than anything else they have seen lately. He begins explaining that after they beat Eggman and his forces, they broke the Eggman Empire's control over their world. This meant that while the Badnik army remained, they were now directionless and no longer a united threat, and any attack from them seemed more accidental than aggression-based. Today, however, the Badniks acted more like an organized army, which makes Tails deduce that something is making Eggman's army more cohesive. Getting the point, Sonic wonders if it means Eggman is back, but Tails does not think that is the case: after his last defeat, Eggman would undoubtedly make sure Sonic and co. knew he was back, as he always does that.
Whatever the case might be, Sonic decides to keep doing what he is doing, which means traveling around and smashing any Badnik he sees, as they are posing a threat, whether they are organized or not. Tails nervously notes that someone could be controlling the Badniks, but Sonic thinks it just makes things more fun. Seeing that Sonic is not going to change his mind, Tails tells him to be careful while expressing his worry over the thought of losing Sonic if he gets caught off-guard again. Noticing this, Sonic cheers Tails up and promises to be careful. Sonic then offers Tails to come along with him if he is so worried. Tails is initially eager to come along, just like in the old days, but upon taking a look around and seeing the town in ruins and the people in despair, Tails notes that there are too many Badnik gangs on the lose and that Sonic will be able to handle them faster on his own. Tails thus decides to stay and help the locals rebuild the town. Sonic comments on Tails' decision by calling him a class act and states that they will bash robots again some other time, to which Tails agrees.
Taking his leave, Sonic runs out of town. Unbeknownst to him, however, a Flapper is surveying from a distance. Meanwhile, somewhere else, in an Eggman-themed base, an unseen figure is watching the Flapper's surveillance of Sonic. Unsurprised that Sonic has survived his first trial, the figure orders the next battalion to attack the nearest town in order to draw Sonic in. The figure also orders their troops to make sure that the Resistance knows of Sonic's latest successes, as they want to crush both Sonic and Amy Rose in one strike...
- Amy Rose (First appearance)
- Avatar (Mentioned)
- Badniks (First appearance)
- Dr. Eggman (Mentioned)
- Knuckles the Echidna (Mentioned)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (First appearance)
- Resistance (Mentioned)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (First appearance)
- Death Egg Robot (First appearance) (Flashback)
- Egg Dragoon (First appearance) (Flashback)
- Egg Emperor (First appearance) (Flashback)
- Egg Viper (First appearance) (Flashback)
- Eggman Empire (First appearance)
- Homing Attack (First appearance)
- Spin Attack (First appearance)
- Rolling Combo (First appearance)
- Sonic and Tails save a village. Amy would bring this up in Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Fallout Part 2".
- Tails suspects that something is controlling the Badnik gangs. This would be brought up by Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Fallout Part 2".
- Sonic begins traveling around, battling rogue Badnik gangs. This would continue for several issues.
- Dr. Eggman is revealed to have gone missing after his defeat in Sonic Forces.
- The first page shows flashbacks to four different occasions in which Sonic battled a noticeable Eggman mech from various games. This includes the Egg Viper from Sonic Adventure, the Egg Emperor from Sonic Heroes, the Egg Dragoon from Sonic Generations, and the Death Egg Robot from Sonic Forces.
- Sonic tells the resident that was fighting with a Cube Wispon that he knew someone that was able to weild the weapon proficiently. This refers to the Avatar who debuted in Sonic Forces and was able to use an assortment of Wispons.
- The gloves and shoes worn by the town's militia are the standard uniform pieces worn by the Resistance's soldiers in Sonic Forces.
- Tails says that they could have dealt with the Egg Hammers faster if Knuckles was with them. This is in reference to Sonic Heroes, where Sonic, Tails and Knuckles faced the Badniks for the first time together. It could also be a nod to Knuckles being a Power Type character in the game, with that particular formation being the only one able to destroy the armored robots.
- Tails' comment about Eggman not returning without so much as an "angry vlog" may be in reference to Sonic Heroes, where he (or rather, Neo Metal Sonic) informed Team Sonic of his plan with a holographic letter.
- Tails displays a genuine fear that Sonic might get caught off guard or become seriously hurt. This may be a nod how Sonic was long assumed to have been killed near the beginning of Sonic Forces, a belief that Tails found hard to deal with.
- Sonic Letter Squad: Sonic Letter Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them. This edition also includes a series introduction message to the readers.
- Skylanders - Free Digital Aschan
- Narrator: Sonic the Hedgehog has spent years fighting the forces of Dr. Eggman. Time and again the mad doctor attacks, Sonic strikes back, then relaxes until Eggman returns. But after their last battle... ...Dr. Eggman vanished... ...But his robot army did not!
- Sonic: Whuh-oh-that doesn't look good. Sounds like the locals are putting up a fight. I hope they don't mind me lending a hand!
- Sonic: Tails!
- Tails: Could you not risk your life for five minutes?
- Sonic: Sure, but where's the fun in that?
- Sonic: They're almost out! C'mon, Tails! Hurry up!
- Tails: Oh ye of little faith...
- Cover A for this issue is the first of four connecting covers.
- This issue has a total of seventeen existing variant covers, the highest amount of variant covers produced for any Sonic-related comic. This surpasses Sonic Universe #75, which had a total of eight variant covers.
- The concept artwork for Rafa Knight's variant cover was handled by artist Aaron Hammerstrom.
- Rafa was not paid for her cover, even after requesting for Aaron to be credited as well.
- Tracy Yardley had finished the pencils for the issue by 13 January 2018 and described the action sequences that Ian had written to be "challenging".
- The raw artwork of variant cover B was the first piece of artwork for the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series that was revealed to the public. Interestingly, the cover was incorrectly labeled as cover A upon its initial reveal. This was later corrected upon release.
- This issue was available for purchase from 23 March 2018 to 26 March 2018 for those who attended WonderCon 2018, almost two weeks before the intended official release on 4 April 2018.
- On Edwin Huang's cover, Sonic’s pose bears a striking resemblance to his pose on the main cover of Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog #272, which was also drawn by Huang.
- The Retailer Exclusive variant from was first revealed to be known simply as "More Fun Games". It is currently unknown if this shortened name is the name of the variant cover itself, an error, or a shortening of the name of the store.
- The Retailer Exclusive variant from GameStop is not sold on its own, but instead included with versions of the Sonic the Hedgehog: Crash Course Board Game sold at GameStop.
- The Retailer Exclusive variant from Sonic the Hedgehog #2’s Cover B artwork. was given out on Free Comic Book Day with purchases of a special t-shirt featuring
- It was stated on 12 April 2018 that the issue had sold out and was slated for a second printing on 2 May 2018. The second printing sold out six days after this announcement and it was then announced a third printing would be available on 16 May 2018, along with the second printing of Sonic the Hedgehog #2.
- This is the second Sonic-related comic to have sold out, the first being Sonic: Mega Drive.
- A limited version of the issue was available in Spencer's, where upon each purchase of the issue, customers would receive an exclusive t-shirt that sported Adam Bryce Thomas' cover artwork for Sonic the Hedgehog #2.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Holub, Christian (22 January 2018). New Sonic the Hedgehog comics coming in April. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 23 January 2018.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 IDW Announces Sonic the Hedgehog #1 Sells Out. IDW Publishing (12 April 2018). Retrieved on 12 April 2018.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG COMIC BOOKS CONTINUE TO SELL OUT. IDW Publishing (19 April 2018). Retrieved on 1 May 2018.
- ↑ Newsarama Staff (24 January 2018). IDW PUBLISHING April 2018 Solicitations. News-a-Rama. Retrieved on 25 January 2018.
- ↑ Ellen McGrody (31 January 2018). Comics Industry Publication PREVIEWS Reveals New IDW Sonic Art. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 24 March 2018.
- ↑ Aaron Hammerstrom on Twitter. Twitter (25 January 2018). Retrieved on 28 January 2018.
- ↑ media:RafaK.png
- ↑ Tracy Yardley on Twitter. Twitter (13 February 2018). Retrieved on 13 February 2018.
- ↑ Tracy Yardley on Twitter. Twitter (13 February 2018). Retrieved on 13 February 2018.