- “The Fate of Dr. Eggman,” Part 2. Dr. Eggman has been located, but Sonic’s not the only one to find him! When Shadow comes, whose side will Sonic be on?!?
The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 2
- Written by: Ian Flynn
- Art by: Tracy Yardley
- Inks by: Jim Amash
- Colors by: Matt Herms
- Letters by: Shawn Lee
- Edited by: Joe Hughes & David Mariotte
- Published by: Greg Goldstein
- Special thanks to: Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Aaron Webber, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
Shadow the Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat have arrived to eliminate the seemingly reformed, amnesiac Dr. Eggman (now going by the name "Mr. Tinker"). Standing around the nervous Mr. Tinker, however, are the Chaotix and Sonic. Sonic drastically attempts to stop Shadow and Rouge from advancing by trying to explain the situation. He tells the duo that though Mr. Tinker mentioned Eggman Land, he has completely lost his memory and cannot engage in his heinous acts any longer. Shadow disregards this, believing that amnesia does not make one any less dangerous. Sonic tries to convince Shadow further but Shadow angrily shoves him aside. Sonic points out that he was not listening and continues to prevent Shadow from reaching Eggman. Eventually, though, Shadow has enough and tries pushing Sonic away, but Sonic grabs his arm and throws him against a wall. The two begin dashing around the town, engaged in combat with one another, much to Mr. Tinker's fright. Vector orders the Chaotix to help Sonic, but the battle proves to be far too fast for them to keep up with, so he turns his attention to Rouge, blaming Shadow's arrival on her. However, Rouge begins explaining that Shadow was already looking for Eggman to exterminate him, and would have inflicted harm on anyone who got in his way, including the Chaotix. She then reveals that she was behind the anonymous tip the Chaotix received on Dr. Eggman's whereabouts, her plan being to let the Chaotix conduct a thorough investigation of Eggman and bring in Sonic, who would serve as a countermeasure to Shadow, before she "helped" Shadow find Eggman. After processing this, the Chaotix (except Charmy) realize she has been helping them all along.
Outside of town, Sonic continues his battle with Shadow while teasing the brooding hedgehog. Eventually though, Sonic tries to convince Shadow that for all the evil Eggman has committed, he has also done some good too. Sonic tries bringing up how Eggman helped saved the world during the Space Colony ARK incident, but a glare from Shadow reminds him that Eggman was the one who started the incident. As Shadow takes off again, Sonic tries reminding Shadow of how Eggman helped everyone fight the Black Arms when they invaded. This makes Shadow briefly reconsider, but he quickly pushes it aside. Sonic soon after trips on a tree root and stumbles into a tree, and Shadow uses the opportunity to pin his rival down. Shadow then begins questioning Sonic about how he can even suggest leniency after everything the doctor has done to him. Sonic, however, brings up that Shadow has tried to destroy him in the past, too, as well as try to obliterate the entire planet. By Shadow's logic, this would mean that Shadow wants Sonic to take out both him and Eggman, since neither of them should be forgiven for their crimes.
As Shadow recalls that he himself has been forgiven for his crimes, he lets Sonic go. He then asks Sonic what his plan with Eggman is, and Sonic expresses his desire to let the doctor stay in the village and let him continue doing good for the residents, although he does want to investigate what prompted Eggman to mention "Eggman Land" in the first place. Realizing in that moment that Sonic had been distracting him all the time, Shadow teleports away and towards the village. His ruse discovered, Sonic hurries towards the village.
Back in the village, the Chaotix see Shadow coming and are ready to stop the black hedgehog in his tracks. Shadow, however, simply teleports past them, into the house. Inside the house, Shadow finds Rouge and Mr. Tinker, the latter of whom is hiding from the black hedgehog behind some furniture. Upon explaining to Rouge that he has discussed matters with Sonic, Rouge allows Shadow to talk to Eggman, and Shadow demands that he show him "Eggman Land". As the pair walks out of the house and past the Chaotix, who are confused, a nervous Mr. Tinker states that he will show it to Shadow, despite it not being finished yet. Mr. Tinker takes Shadow to a barn and shows him that inside it is an indoor amusement park named "Eggman Land" with Badnik-themed rides and figurines. As Rouge, Sonic, and the Chaotix gather outside the barn to see Eggman Land, Mr. Tinker explains that he made it for the village children, in a nice place outside of the elements. Mr. Tinker then asks if he is in trouble, but Sonic assures him that he is in the clear as Shadow departs. Rouge then takes her leave as well by saying goodbye to Sonic and the Chaotix, the latter of whom she assures that Eggman's discovery will be counted as their gig, meaning they get to keep the finder's fee, for which Vector is thankful.
Sonic discusses the name "Eggman Land" with Mr. Tinker, which the latter explains just came to him and thought it sounded like a fitting name for a children's amusement park. Although this makes Sonic wonder if it is a sign that his memories are coming back, Sonic nevertheless promises a hopeful Eggman that he will stopping by from time to time.
Elsewhere, in an Eggman Empire-themed base, Orbot and Cubot are attending to their boss. With Orbot reporting that the flotillas are heading into position, their boss announces that it is time for him to join the Egg Fleet and move on with his master plan. As the figure stands up from his chair, however, he is revealed to be Dr. Eggman.
- Black Arms (Mentioned)
- Badniks (Mentioned)
- Dr. Eggman
- Knuckles the Echidna (Flashback)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Flashback)
- Rouge the Bat
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Eggman Land (Mentioned)
- Space Colony ARK (Flashback)
- Egg Fleet (First appearance)
- Shadow and Rouge arrived in Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1", to eliminate Dr. Eggman.
- Mr. Tinker's mention of Eggman Land in Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1", is brought up.
- Sonic mentions what he and the Chaotix have concluded about Dr. Eggman's amnesia, something that they settled on in Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1".
- Rouge is revealed to be the one behind the anonymous tip the Chaotix mentioned in Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1".
- The identity of the mastermind behind the organized Badniks from the five previous issues is revealed.
- The name icons for the characters that appear in this issue are drawn in the same style as the one used for Sonic's name on his promotional artwork for Sonic Adventure.
- Eggman's quote "B-But I'm I'm just your friendly, neighborhood handyman" is a reference to the line often used to describe the Marvel Comics super hero, Spider-Man.
- The rides and figurines in Eggman's Eggman Land amusement park feature several references to past Badniks:
- Several allusions to events in previous Sonic the Hedgehog games are presented in this issue:
- Sonic mentioning how Dr. Eggman teamed up with Sonic and co. to save the world is a reference to the events of the Last Story in Sonic Adventure 2.
- Sonic mentioning how Shadow once desired to destroy Sonic and the world is a reference to the plots of Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Eggman's personal war against the Black Arms is a reference to some of the events in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Sonic Letters Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them.
- DuckTales - Free Digital Ashcan
- Rouge: Talk fast, Big Blue. We definitely heard him say he was rebuilding Eggman Land. And you know how stubborn Shadow can be.
- Vector: Yeah―you! What were you thinking bringing Shadow here?
- Rouge: Shadow was already looking for Eggman to ensure he wasn't planning a counter-attack. Shadow isn't the really one to pull his punches. Anyone who got in his way―like say, some certain detectives―might get hurt. So isn't it convenient you got that anonymous tip when you did? You had plenty of time to find your target, verify him, and bring on Sonic. By the time I "helped" Shadow find this village, your investigation was complete and you had a handy, heroic counter-measure by your side.
- Vector: Wait... how would you know about the tip unless...
- Vector, Espio and Charmy: OOOOOH!
- Charmy: ...I don't get it.
- Shadow: Have you forgotten that he made you suffer? That he's tried to destroy you―multiple times? How can you even suggest leniency for him after all that?
- Sonic: Heh―you tried to destroy me in the past too, remember? You even tried to obliterate an entire planet. So―what? You want me to take you out with Eggman? After all, if he can't be forgiven, can you?
- Before the A and B covers were released, the original solicitations listed Jonathan Gray's cover as the B cover and Tracy Yardley's cover as the A cover instead of the other way around.
- The posing that Sonic and Shadow are in on cover A of this issue is a callback to a panel from Sonic Universe #54 in which Sonic and Metal Sonic are charging at each other.
- Tracy Yardley based cover B on the official poster for the 1997 movie Face/Off.
- The issue was originally intended to release a week earlier on 20 June 2018, but was delayed due to complications with IDW Publishing’s printing schedule.
- This issue is the first to contain a "recap" page before the story begins, featuring a page of relevant panels from the previous issue and a roll call page.
- The previous issue also had these pages, but they appeared only in the digital version.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 IDW Publishing JUNE 2018 Solicitations. News a Rama (21 March 2018). Retrieved on 21 March 2018.
- ↑ David Mariotte on Facebook. Facebook (15 June 2018). Retrieved on 15 June 2018.
- ↑ Matt Herms on Twitter. Twitter (24 April 2018). Retrieved on 25 April 2018. “Demi: Yo! @jongraywb This is really great! Is that Matt Herms' coloring too? / Matt Herms: Good eye! Yep, that’s me on colors.”
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jonathan Gray on Twitter. Twitter (18 June 2018). Retrieved on 18 June 2018.