Flynn was previously the chief writer for the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its various spin-offs. His tenure began in 2006 with Sonic the Hedgehog #160, and lasted until the comics' cancellation in 2017. He has also written a couple of episodes for the second season of Sonic Boom, and a number of stories for the Sonic the Hedgehog video game series and its spin-offs.
Flynn obtained the writing position on Archie Comics by sending in unsolicited proposals, after a long participation in unofficial creation of comics about Sonic. He is notable for being a rare case of making a transition from active amateur to pro.
He has not only been active with the fan community since his hiring at Archie Comics, but even prior to that with the now defunct site TSIC (The Sonic Info Center). He gained initial recognition for a fan comic known as Other M. His stories contain heavy usage of prior continuity and returning characters. One of his focuses seems to be guiding the comic to better fit in with Sega's games while still retaining the best elements of the comic's original material.
Ian Flynn was the head writer for two of Archie's comics: Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe. He was also the main writer for Sonic Boom and every issue of Archie's Mega Man comic series, the latter of which had two crossovers with Archie's Sonic titles. He also writes for Dark Circle Comics' New Crusaders and is currently writing for Cosmo, the revival of Archie's Cosmo the Merry Martian character. He has also contributed to the comics within Archie's mainline comic series, including co-writing the final two issues of the third Jughead series.
- Sonic Boom:
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Sonic the Hedgehog Free Comic Book Day:
- Sonic X:
- Sonic Universe:
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2019 (story one)
- Sonic Boom (TV series):
- Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (prologue comic)
- Sonic the Hedgehog series:
- Flynn and Tracy Yardley joined Archie Comics at the same time, that being Sonic the Hedgehog #160.
- In an interview in Sonic Super Special Magazine #1, Flynn stated that his influences as a writer are "Shakespeare, Stephen Crane, Kurt Vonnegut, E. E. Cummings, Chris Claremont, Robert Kirkman, Brian M. Bendis, Mark Miller, Dr. Seuss, Jeff Smith, Don Rosa and so many more."
- Flynn is married to Aleah Baker.
- According to an interview with Sonic Fan Games HQ, his favorite Dr. Eggman quote stems from his dialog with Lien-Da in Sonic the Hedgehog #220.
- ↑ IDW Publishing and SEGA® Welcome Veteran Sonic Writer Ian Flynn. IDW Publishing (8 October 2017). Retrieved on 8 October 2017.
- ↑ IDW Publishing and SEGA® Welcome Veteran Sonic Writer Ian Flynn. IDW Publishing (8 October 2017). Retrieved on 8 October 2017. “Sonic the Hedgehog™ and IDW Publishing are excited to reveal today that fan favorite scribe, Ian Flynn, has come on board to take the blue blur and his friends in a fresh, exciting direction.”
- ↑ http://www.dreamflint.com/dcd/DisplayFeat.asp?FeatureID=19
- ↑ http://www.heroesonline.com/newsletter/cow-archive/cow-archive-4.htm
- ↑ Sims, Chris (23 December 2015). Looking Back On 'Mega Man' With Ian Flynn [Interview]. Comics Alliance. Retrieved on 19 March 2017.
- ↑ Carter, Chris (22 May 2015). Destructoid chats with Archie's Ian Flynn about Mega Man and Sonic's second 'Worlds Unite' crossover. Destructoid. Retrieved on 19 March 2017.
- ↑ Goellner, Caleb (4 November 2011). 'New Crusaders' Writer Ian Flynn on the Return of Archie Comics' Red Circle Heroes [Interview]. Comics Alliance. Retrieved on 19 March 2017.
- ↑ http://www.cbr.com/excl-archie-comics-sonic-team-reuniting-on-cosmo-revival/
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (5 December 2016). Retrieved on 5 December 2015. “Bill Freiberger: Episode 206: Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Worse-er. Written by @IanFlynnBKC. Storyboards by Gael Leroux & Jeremy Klein.”
- ↑ An Interview With Ian Flynn!. YouTube. SAGExpo (25 August 2018). Retrieved on 4 September 2018.
- Ian Flynn at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Ian Flynn's personal message board