The gang becomes very competitive with one another when they enter an auto race, using cars they've designed themselves.
- Beth the Shrew
- Comedy Chimp
- Dave the Intern
- Dr. Eggman
- Fennec Garbage Man
- Fennec Male
- Lady Goat
- Leroy the Turtle
- Mayor Fink
- Mike the Ox
- Mrs. Vandersnout
- Old Monkey
- Rabbit Girl
- Reindeer Girl
- Sheep Villager
- Soar the Eagle
- T.W. Barker
- Team Sonic
- Walrus Camera Man
- Warthog Male
- Wild Cat
- Willy Walrus
- Sonic Boom World
- Amy's ride
- Knuckles' monster truck
- Sonic Speedster
- Sticks' car (First appearance)
- Tails' Plane
- Tails' vehicle (First appearance)
- Race Day (First appearance)
At Seaside Island, Team Sonic is lounging around at Tails' Workshop, rushing Tails to hurry fixing his plane when a bolt comes loose. Using his Build-it Box, he creates another bolt, which inspires the other Team Sonic members to convince Tails to make a bigger Build-it Box to create bigger objects so they could have fun. The team shares their own, individual ideas to make in the Build-it Box, with Knuckles wanting a monster truck, Amy wanting a cute and fashionable car that will turn heads (but loaded with offensive weapons), and Sonic wanting a car to just go fast in. Suffice to say, not all of these ideas could be stored into one vehicle, prompting Sonic to suggest making their own individual vehicles. Sonic, Knuckles, and Amy all go with their original ideas, whereas Tails builds a vehicle that can jump over obstacles and Sticks opts for camouflage with hers. Each of them brags about how their vehicle is superior compared to the others, which leads to Knuckles suggesting a race to determine who is the best of them all.
Thus, their racing competition is about to unfold at the Village Center until Mayor Fink intervenes, stating that they cannot race in the city unless it is an official event. Reluctantly, Sonic agrees to get a permit, hoping it does not take too long. After eight months of waiting, the official Race Day has finally begun, with Soar the Eagle reporting live the events of the race, as well as Leroy the Turtle, Dave the Intern, T.W. Barker, and Dr. Eggman joining in the race. As the race commences, Sonic takes a head start, with everyone else except Leroy (who is dead last) pushing against each other. T.W. Barker wipes out after peeling out into the One-Percenters. Eggman attempts to mess up the players behind him via firing a missile at a tree to block the other racers behind him from continuing the race, but to no avail. Sonic, after avoiding a close call with a tree, wishes he balanced out his speed for handling on his Sonic Speedster, but he decides to keep going onward despite the disadvantage. Dave manages to get to a shortcut by alarming Chameleon, while Eggman sets a trap for Knuckles, flipping over his monster truck but to no luck, as Knuckles' truck had wheels on top of it in case of it being flipped; however, he still crashes later.
Dave the Intern's shortcut pushes him to first place, with Sonic confused on how he made it past him. Luckily, this does not last long as Sonic pushes Dave's vehicle off track, destroying his car and eliminating him in the process. Amy and Sticks end up eliminating themselves after Amy attempted to sabotage Sticks' vehicle, while Tails' vehicle crashes after performing a leap over a hill. After having trouble with repeatingly curved roads, Sonic crashes after Eggman moves ahead of him and fires a smoke bomb behind him. Eggman arrives at the Village Center, stopping his vehicle before he finishes the race to prematurely celebrate his victory. Meanwhile, the rest of Team Sonic joins Sonic at the crash site of the Sonic Speedster, having realized they took the race too seriously and offering to help Sonic make repairs. Sonic quickly gathers parts from the team's other vehicles, and they quickly repair the Sonic Speedster, turning it into an amalgamation of all of their vehicles. As the others wave him off, Sonic drives off to the Village Center and, using the features granted to him by the repairs as well as a pedal-powered boost, manages to win the racing tournament, beating Eggman just barely (as Leroy the Turtle finally gets on his vehicle). At the awards ceremony, Mayor Fink gives Sonic his trophy, only for the blue blur to realize that it is a participation trophy and that all participants in the race got one; Eggman uses this to gloat, much to Sonic's dismay.
- Most of Team Sonic's race cars introduced in this episode have already been seen in the episodes like "Mister Eggman", "Three Men And My Baby!" and "Where Have All The Sonics Gone?". This is because "If You Build It They Will Race" aired out of production order.
- When Dr. Eggman gets out of his race car before crossing the finish line, his mustache is wider than normal.
- In this episode, Perci is missing her hoodie.
- When Sonic lifts up his trophy, his arms are much longer than normal.
Title in other languages
|French||Les fous du volant||Wacky racers|
|Polish||Daj im fury, a będą się ścigać|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Construyanlos y correrán||Built them and you will race|
- Nine days before this episode aired on Boomerang, Bill Freiberger released the title card for this episode on Twitter as a teaser.
- The title of this episode is a reference to a line "If you build it, they will come" from the 1989 drama Field of Dreams.
- The background music that plays during the creation of Team Sonic's cars is based on the theme music for Knight Rider.
- Sonic mentioning how the gang is busying themselves with cars this week is a reference to how the Sonic Boom television series airs new episodes (featuring new adventures with Team Sonic) each week during seasons.
- Knuckles and Mayor Fink's talk about how the world does not revolve around Team Sonic is a nod to how Team Sonic are the main characters of the Sonic Boom television series.
- Soar the Eagle's remark about how one might predict the results of Race Day between Sonic and Eggman with their knowledge on story structure is a nod to how the plots in the Sonic Boom always end with Sonic and co. defeating Eggman.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Boom: If You Build It They Will Race. Zap2it.com. Retrieved on 29 July 2017.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (24 August 2017). Retrieved on 24 August 2017. “Bill Freiberger: 231: The gang becomes very competitive with one another when they enter an auto race, using cars they've designed themselves.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (17 August 2017). Retrieved on 17 August 2017. “Bill Freiberger: A note about 231: for technical reasons it's airing out of order and introduces the the race cars you've seen in previous episodes.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (17 August 2017). Retrieved on 17 August 2017. “Bill Freiberger: A #sonicboom preview for next Saturday: Ep. 231 "If You Build It They Will Race" written by Jake James.”